Exchange 5.5 routing problem

Post by Douglas Buchana » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Look at the routing cost in the Site Addressing container in Exchange
Administrator. The cost through your Australia site must lower than Hong
Kong's.

Post by Chan Tin L » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have installed 2 Exchange Server in 2 place. one in Hong Kong and
another in Australia. The two exchage servers are being connected by a
modem through RAS. I have tried to restrict some users to send their
mail from the server located in HK to the internet. However, the mails
they sent have been routed to the server located in Australia and
deliver to the internet successfully.

How can I configure my Hong Kong server to fulfill my request?

Best Regards,

Samuel Chan

Exchange 5.5 routing problem

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have installed 2 Exchange Server in 2 place. one in Hong Kong and
>another in Australia. The two exchage servers are being connected by a
>modem through RAS. I have tried to restrict some users to send their
>mail from the server located in HK to the internet. However, the mails
>they sent have been routed to the server located in Australia and
>deliver to the internet successfully.

>How can I configure my Hong Kong server to fulfill my request?

This is an excellent example of how the MTA works to find a connector
capable of sending a message! Your sites both advertise the address
spaces for which they can accept messages. The MTA found your local
IMS unavailable to the user and simply sent the message to another IMS
that had no such restrictions!

There are a couple of approaches to this problem. One is to place the
same "Delivery Restrictions" on the Australia IMS as you have on the
Hong Kong IMS.

The other is to restrict the scope of both the Australia and Hong Kong
IMS SMTP Address Spaces so the MTA in Hong Kong won't see the IMS in
Australia (and vice versa).

If you have Exchange 4.0 or 5.0 then refer to this MS KB article:
Q161947 "XCON: MTA: Address Space Replication with LOCAL Address
Spaces"

If you're using Exchang 5.5 the simply use the "Restrictions" tab on
the address space's property page and select the "Site" scope.

Another apporoach is to limit the MTA's choices to use on "Least Cost
Routing".

This MS KB article will explain:
Q166567 "XCON: How to Enable Lowest Cost Routes Only"

By restricting the scope of the address space you are removing a level
of protection from a local failure. If you never wish the Hong Kong
users to send SMTP messages thru the Australia IMS (or vice versa)
then this isn't a consideration. But if you want the Australia IMS to
act as a backup for the Hong Kong IMS then restricting the MTA isn't
the correct approach.

1. Exchange 5.5 routing problem

I have installed 2 Exchange Server in 2 place. one in Hong Kong and
another in Australia. The two exchage servers are being connected by a
modem through RAS. I have tried to restrict some users to send their
mail from the server located in HK to the internet. However, the mails
they sent have been routed to the server located in Australia and
deliver to the internet successfully.

How can I configure my Hong Kong server to fulfill my request?

Best Regards,

Samuel Chan

2. Mailbox permisions

3. Exchange 5.5 SP2 relay/routing problem.

4. Change Calendar Permissions and set Resource Scheduling from VB/VBScript

5. Exchange 5.5 Internet Routing Problem

6. Comment Trend ScanMail virus program for Exchange

7. Routing Problem for Exchange 5.5

8. POP3 client & Exchange server

9. Internal Routing Problems with Exchange 5.5 and Ms Mail

10. Problem re-routing SMTP from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2K

11. IMHO Strange Routing/Forwarding behaviour (Routing/Connectivity Problem revisited)

12. Exchange 2000 to Exchange 5.5 message routing