Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Mike Graf » Sun, 26 May 2002 08:13:01

Hi there,

We are in the midst of our Exchange 2000 migration, and have hit a stumbling
block with what else, public folders....

I have successfully set up the public folder connection agreement in the ADC
and replicated the heirarchy from Exchange 5.5 to AD.  I also had no problem
replicating folder content between my Exchange 5.5 servers and the first
Exchange 2000 server I added to our organization.  Users on the first
Exchange 2000 server can see the folders as well as contents, and mail flow
works perfectly between Exchanage 5.5 and Exchange 2000.

The problem has arisen with the second Exchange 2000 server we added to the
organization.  The server is running fine, I can move mailboxes over to it,
and mail still flows from between mailboxes on the new, second Exchange 2000
box and the rest of the organization.

However, Public Folders for users on the second Exchange 2000 server are not
happening.
I've added replicas in ESM for the new server, but they never show up on the
new server.  The Folder heirarchy doesn't show up on ESM when connected to
the new server, while it still shows up fine for the first E2k server.  I've
cranked up logging for public folder stuff to maximum, nothing useful in the
event logs can be seen.  I've rebuild the Recipient Update Service, both for
the domain as well as the Enterprise Configuration.  Still nothing.

I've been banging my head for two days, can anyone please help!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 27 May 2002 01:23:07

>Hi there,

>We are in the midst of our Exchange 2000 migration, and have hit a stumbling
>block with what else, public folders....

>I have successfully set up the public folder connection agreement in the ADC
>and replicated the heirarchy from Exchange 5.5 to AD.

The ADC doesn't really have anything to do with the hierarchy. That's
nicely managed by the information store. What the ADC does is to place
the 5.5 folders (which are mail-enabled) into the Microsoft Exchange
System Objects container in the AD.

Quote:>I also had no problem
>replicating folder content between my Exchange 5.5 servers and the first
>Exchange 2000 server I added to our organization.  Users on the first
>Exchange 2000 server can see the folders as well as contents, and mail flow
>works perfectly between Exchanage 5.5 and Exchange 2000.

>The problem has arisen with the second Exchange 2000 server we added to the
>organization.  The server is running fine, I can move mailboxes over to it,
>and mail still flows from between mailboxes on the new, second Exchange 2000
>box and the rest of the organization.

>However, Public Folders for users on the second Exchange 2000 server are not
>happening.

Is it safe to assume that you mean that the PF hierarchy doesn't
appear in the Outlook clients?

Quote:>I've added replicas in ESM for the new server, but they never show up on the
>new server.

That can't be good.

Quote:>The Folder heirarchy doesn't show up on ESM when connected to
>the new server,

Neither can that!

Quote:>while it still shows up fine for the first E2k server.  I've
>cranked up logging for public folder stuff to maximum, nothing useful in the
>event logs can be seen.

Too much can be a bad thing. What categories did you set to max?
General, Replication Incoming/Outgoing Messages, Replication NDR's,
Replication Backfill, Replication Errors, and Replication General,
should be enough.

When you start the IS you should see some activity from the public
folder store. Maybe just dismounting and mounting the store may be
enough.

Quote:>I've rebuild the Recipient Update Service, both for
>the domain as well as the Enterprise Configuration.  Still nothing.

These won't do anything for PF replication.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Evan Dodd » Mon, 27 May 2002 02:51:27

If the Enterprise RUS doesn't stamp the E2k server public information store
object in the AD with the appropriate proxy address, PF hierarchy
replication will not happen. This can happen when there are invalid/missing
proxy generators defined in 5.5. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286356 for more
info on the generic problem.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 27 May 2002 04:01:06

>If the Enterprise RUS doesn't stamp the E2k server public information store
>object in the AD with the appropriate proxy address, PF hierarchy
>replication will not happen. This can happen when there are invalid/missing
>proxy generators defined in 5.5. See
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286356 for more
>info on the generic problem.

He already has one E2K server that works okay. It's the second one
that's causing him problems.

It's true that the public folder store should have an SMTP address,

It's easy enough to check with ADSIEDIT or LDP to see if that's the
case.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Mike Graf » Thu, 30 May 2002 00:22:59

Quote:> Is it safe to assume that you mean that the PF hierarchy doesn't
> appear in the Outlook clients?

Outlook clients that are connected to the second exchange server can't see
anything but Internet Newsgroups, while clients that connect to the first
E2k server
can see all public folders.

Quote:> Too much can be a bad thing. What categories did you set to max?
> General, Replication Incoming/Outgoing Messages, Replication NDR's,
> Replication Backfill, Replication Errors, and Replication General,
> should be enough.

I've got the categories you mentioned plus a few other.

Quote:> When you start the IS you should see some activity from the public
> folder store. Maybe just dismounting and mounting the store may be
> enough.

I do see activity when I dismount/mount the Public store.  It appears to
start up just fine,
and then I get this error in my event log:

--------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
Event Category: Logons
Event ID: 1024
Date:  5/28/2002
Time:  8:10:01 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: BRONZE
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM was unable to log on as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to the
Public Folder Store "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (BRONZE)".

-----------------------------------

This is then followed by about half a dozen of these errors:
------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
Event Category: Replication Errors
Event ID: 3093
Date:  5/28/2002
Time:  8:10:01 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: BRONZE
Error -2147221233 reading property 0x67010003 on object type
tbtOwningFolders from
database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (BRONZE)".
------------------------------------

Now I've read that the latter errors are "normal" and a result of cranking
up diagnostic logging
to maximum.  Technet searches on both errors are pretty much fruitless.  Any
other ideas?

Mike

Post by Mike Graf » Thu, 30 May 2002 00:25:07

> It's true that the public folder store should have an SMTP address,

> It's easy enough to check with ADSIEDIT or LDP to see if that's the
> case.

Rich, can you give me a pointer as to where in the Domain NC I should be
looking for this property on the public folder store?

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Neil Hobso » Thu, 30 May 2002 00:32:45

Exchange config information is held in the Configuration NC and not the
Domain NC.  Look under Services / Microsoft Exchange, drill right down under
Admin Groups, servername, etc, and eventually you'll come to the Information
Stores.  The property you need is 'proxyAddresses'

--
Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
For Enterprise Systems
For Collaborative Solutions

> > It's true that the public folder store should have an SMTP address,

> > It's easy enough to check with ADSIEDIT or LDP to see if that's the
> > case.

> Rich, can you give me a pointer as to where in the Domain NC I should be
> looking for this property on the public folder store?

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Mike Graf » Thu, 30 May 2002 05:02:47

Quote:> Exchange config information is held in the Configuration NC and not the
> Domain NC.  Look under Services / Microsoft Exchange, drill right down
under
> Admin Groups, servername, etc, and eventually you'll come to the
Information
> Stores.  The property you need is 'proxyAddresses'

Thanks for the pointer Neil.  I checked it out and discovered that the
second E2k server did not
in fact have an SMTP proxyAddress while our first E2K server did.

Further investigations lead me to believe that our RUS is failing because of
the symptoms described
in this MS Q article originally referenced by Evan Dodds in a previous post:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286356

I'm working on fixing the larger RUS problem, but my question is, can I go
ahead and manually
add that SMTP proxyAddress for my second E2K server using ADSIEdit without
doing any damage?

Thanks to all who have replied so far....

Mike

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 30 May 2002 10:41:23

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>Further investigations lead me to believe that our RUS is failing because of
>the symptoms described
>in this MS Q article originally referenced by Evan Dodds in a previous post:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286356

>I'm working on fixing the larger RUS problem, but my question is, can I go
>ahead and manually
>add that SMTP proxyAddress for my second E2K server using ADSIEdit without
>doing any damage?

Adding the SMTP address probably isn't going to fix your problem. In
fact, it'll make it worse because, once you fix the RUS, the RUS will
see the object already has an e-mail address and it won't touch the
object. That means the object will not acquire many of the other
mail-enabling attributes and permissions.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Post by Mike Graf » Fri, 31 May 2002 01:40:29

> >Further investigations lead me to believe that our RUS is failing because
of
> >the symptoms described
> >in this MS Q article originally referenced by Evan Dodds in a previous
post:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286356

Just wanted to let folks know that I resolved my problem.  The source of my
problem was
errors from missing proxyAddress generators for some of my 5.5 connectors in
other
Exchange sites.  The article mentioned above points out the solution as well
as what
I consider to be a flaw in the E2K RUS, namely that if it errors out on
creating one
address type, the RUS just terminates and won't update any other address
types!
Pretty poor design if you want my opinion.

Anyway, once I copied the appropriate DLLs to the Exchange 2k server that is
running the RUS and performed a rebuild, it was able to process all address
types correctly
and the Public IS on the second E2k server was stamped with the proper SMTP
address.
once that was done, replication went off without a hitch!

Thanks to everyone who provided the pieces to help me put together this
puzzle!

Regards,

Mike

Public folder replication to second Exchange 2000 Server Not Working

Post by Neil Hobso » Fri, 31 May 2002 01:49:12

Just caught up with this thread.  I had the same problem at a customer site
once (fax proxy dll missing).  A right PITA!

--
Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
For Enterprise Systems
For Collaborative Solutions

> > >Further investigations lead me to believe that our RUS is failing
because
> of
> > >the symptoms described
> > >in this MS Q article originally referenced by Evan Dodds in a previous
> post:
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286356

> Just wanted to let folks know that I resolved my problem.  The source of
my
> problem was
> errors from missing proxyAddress generators for some of my 5.5 connectors
in
> other
> Exchange sites.  The article mentioned above points out the solution as
well
> as what
> I consider to be a flaw in the E2K RUS, namely that if it errors out on
> creating one
> address type, the RUS just terminates and won't update any other address
> types!
> Pretty poor design if you want my opinion.

> Anyway, once I copied the appropriate DLLs to the Exchange 2k server that
is
> running the RUS and performed a rebuild, it was able to process all
address
> types correctly
> and the Public IS on the second E2k server was stamped with the proper
SMTP
> address.
> once that was done, replication went off without a hitch!

> Thanks to everyone who provided the pieces to help me put together this
> puzzle!

> Regards,

> Mike

1. Public Folder Replication not completing (Exchange 2000)

HI all!

I'll admit up front that I am a rookie at exchange 2000. I was stuck
in this position in our small company and given the job of moving the
exchange 2000 server from an old small server to a new faster server.
I've been using the "Ed Crowley Server Move Method" from
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq/appxa.htm. It has worked
smoothly, but I have run into a problem.

Problem:
I setup the public folders to replicate to the new server and also
setup the new server to be where all the new public folders are
placed. It appears that the all the replicas have been created and
most of the files have been moved over, but I have a few public
folders that are very large, and only about 600mb of 1.6GB moved over
on the replication. It has been 24 hours since the last replication,
so I assume that all replications have finished.  My question is: Is
there anyway I can force this to finish replicating? Is there anyway
that I can know what is causing the replication to not complete?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Resources

3. Public Folder replication not working between sites

4. OWA servidor dif. al Exch2000

5. Replication of Public Folders does not work ??

6. Just a little problem...

7. public folder replication not working

8. exchange/owa calendar problem

9. Public Folder Replication Question#2 - Redundancy Using Public Folder Replication

10. Send to Public Folder in Office 2000 not working

11. Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Public Folder replication

12. Public Folder Replication - Exchange 5.5 Org and Exchange 2000 Org