OWA requires user to logon each time they open a message

OWA requires user to logon each time they open a message

Post by Kevin Wilkin » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am experiencing a problem with remote users trying to read their mail via
Outlook Web Acess.  They are able to get to the logon page, logon to ther
mailbox, and see the list of messages just fine.  However, when they click
on a message to read it, they are prompted to logon again for that Internet
Explorer window before they can read the message.  This happens over and
over with every message.  It is possible for users to work this way, but
obviously very irritating and not efficient.  Is there anything that can be
done to cause the browser to use the authentication information already
entered for each new message and eliminate repetitive logons?

The server is running Exchange 5.5 SP2 with IIS 4
The users are running Internet Explorer 5.0 and using a LAN Internet
connection at a customer location (I believe they are logged on to the
customer's NT domain)

Thank you,

Kevin Wilkins

Post by Ben Smit » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Known issue http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q216/9/98.ASP

--
Ben Smith  MCSE, MCT, MVP

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Quote:> I am experiencing a problem with remote users trying to read their mail
via
> Outlook Web Acess.  They are able to get to the logon page, logon to ther
> mailbox, and see the list of messages just fine.  However, when they click
> on a message to read it, they are prompted to logon again for that
Internet
> Explorer window before they can read the message.  This happens over and
> over with every message.  It is possible for users to work this way, but
> obviously very irritating and not efficient.  Is there anything that can
be
> done to cause the browser to use the authentication information already
> entered for each new message and eliminate repetitive logons?

> The server is running Exchange 5.5 SP2 with IIS 4
> The users are running Internet Explorer 5.0 and using a LAN Internet
> connection at a customer location (I believe they are logged on to the
> customer's NT domain)

> Thank you,

> Kevin Wilkins

1. OWA presents logon challenge box every time a user opens any mailbox item

Hi,

    Our users are coming into our network through VPN.  They are
authenticated (can map shares) and successfully authenticated when accessing
their mailbox through OWA.  The mailbox is seen but every time a user opens
any mailbox item, they are challenged to logon again.  If they logon again,
the item is opened.  The users are "remote" users.

    We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Windows 2000 Advanced server in a
Windows 2000 domain.  OWA is on another W2K server (Exchange 5.5 SP4) and
IIS 5.0 with the Q296576 security patch applied.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Scott Lemen

2. exchange server unavailable

3. OWA logon error. Cannot open OWA logon webpage

4. GAL hierarchical format as in Exchange 5.5 on E2K?

5. OWA-logon required before logon screen appears

6. E-mailing from exchange

7. logon screen every time i open outlook

8. inbox mail dissapeared

9. Logon to OWA using user's logon credentials

10. OWA logon - no domain required

11. OWA requires second logon

12. Exchange Client required ports are open for dial-in users

13. OWA Access Denied message when user try to logon