Exchange/Outlook public calendar Y2K problem?

Exchange/Outlook public calendar Y2K problem?

Post by Greg Core » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00



Short description: public folder calendar does not display all appointments
since 10/1/99

Long description:  We have a public folder calendar called "Company
Calendar".  Since 10/1/1999, when our users open it up they can only see
about 25% of the appointments actually in the calendar.  IF you click on or
scroll the month view to September 1999 or earlier, the missing appointments
magically reappear.  As soon as you leave the folder and come back to it,
they are gone again.

Server:  Exchange 5.5 sp3

Clients:  Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 on Windows NT.

Really weird part:  If I copy the company calendar to another public folder
or even to a .pst, the same behavior continues.

More information:  It's definately not a view filter issue, though I wasted
lots of time thinking that it was.  Before I noticed that clicking on a
month prior to October 1999 displayed the missing appointments.

I thought it might be a site move issue, as the primary server for our site
was shut down Monday (10/4) evening... but it was happening before that and
I correctly (as far as I can tell from the KB articles) replicated,
synchronized, and moved the schedule+ free/busy folder before downing the
original server.

 -- Greg Corey, MCSE/MCP+I

Network Administrator
Tara Software, Inc.  MCSP Partner

 
 
 

Exchange/Outlook public calendar Y2K problem?

Post by Greg Core » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Update:

To eliminate the server-move theory, I ran GUIDGEN.EXE, inserted the new
GUID into Exchange RAW mode, verified, shut down all exchange services and
restarted them.

There appears to be no change.  I opened and closed several mailboxes that
had appointments including that company calendar.

I NEED a solution to this.  Or at least to know that you are looking at the
problem.  An E-mailed reply would be wonderful if only indicating status.

 -- Greg Corey, MCSE/MCP+I

Network Administrator
Tara Software, Inc.  MCSP Partner


>Short description: public folder calendar does not display all appointments
>since 10/1/99

>Long description:  We have a public folder calendar called "Company
>Calendar".  Since 10/1/1999, when our users open it up they can only see
>about 25% of the appointments actually in the calendar.  IF you click on or
>scroll the month view to September 1999 or earlier, the missing
appointments
>magically reappear.  As soon as you leave the folder and come back to it,
>they are gone again.

>Server:  Exchange 5.5 sp3

>Clients:  Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 on Windows NT.

>Really weird part:  If I copy the company calendar to another public folder
>or even to a .pst, the same behavior continues.

>More information:  It's definately not a view filter issue, though I wasted
>lots of time thinking that it was.  Before I noticed that clicking on a
>month prior to October 1999 displayed the missing appointments.

>I thought it might be a site move issue, as the primary server for our site
>was shut down Monday (10/4) evening... but it was happening before that and
>I correctly (as far as I can tell from the KB articles) replicated,
>synchronized, and moved the schedule+ free/busy folder before downing the
>original server.

> -- Greg Corey, MCSE/MCP+I

>Network Administrator
>Tara Software, Inc.  MCSP Partner


 
 
 

Exchange/Outlook public calendar Y2K problem?

Post by Rich Matheise » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00



>Update:

>To eliminate the server-move theory, I ran GUIDGEN.EXE, inserted the new
>GUID into Exchange RAW mode, verified, shut down all exchange services and
>restarted them.

>There appears to be no change.  I opened and closed several mailboxes that
>had appointments including that company calendar.

>I NEED a solution to this.  Or at least to know that you are looking at the
>problem.  An E-mailed reply would be wonderful if only indicating status.

URGENT problems don't belong in a newsgroup. Call MS PSS if it's
urgent.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Exchange/Outlook public calendar Y2K problem?

Post by Rich Matheise » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00


                                [ snip ]

Quote:>Clients:  Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 on Windows NT.

>Really weird part:  If I copy the company calendar to another public folder
>or even to a .pst, the same behavior continues.

If the behavior persists when you use a PST file then it's a client
problem, not a server problem. The server isn't involved in managing
the client-based information store.

The items may have be damaged while they were in the store, but that
wouldn't account for the behavior you describe.

If you create a clean PST and add new items to it do you see the same
behavior?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Exchange/Outlook public calendar Y2K problem?

Post by Greg Core » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Rich:

Thanks, I'm not an idiot.  (MCSE, MCP+I, Exchange MCPS, shy of MCSE+I by the
IE exam.)

I am fully aware that a PST is SUPPOSED to be only client based.  I'm also
aware that the problem was happening on every client machine in my
company... at least every one that I checked... running 3 different versions
of Outlook (The original Outlook 98, the updated one, and Outlook 2000).

Renaming the old public folder and creating a new one with the old name
solved the issue.  It was a royal pain, though.  Moving/copying the
appointments did not work.  So having my users resend the appointment was
the only reasonable (for me) answer for a quick resolution.

Since it started on October 1, my suspicion was (and still is) that
something having to do with appointment calendar public folders has a Y2K
issue associated with a 10/1 or later use of a public folder created before
10/1/1999 (in our case, one created in late 1998).  This may well be a
client issue... but I doubt it is a client corruption issue.  More likely a
still existent Outlook Y2K problem previously overlooked.

-- Greg Corey



> [ snip ]

> >Clients:  Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 on Windows NT.

> >Really weird part:  If I copy the company calendar to another public
folder
> >or even to a .pst, the same behavior continues.

> If the behavior persists when you use a PST file then it's a client
> problem, not a server problem. The server isn't involved in managing
> the client-based information store.

> The items may have be damaged while they were in the store, but that
> wouldn't account for the behavior you describe.

> If you create a clean PST and add new items to it do you see the same
> behavior?

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

1. Outlook Web Access/Public Folders/Calendars Problem

We are running Exchange 5.5 SP2/NT40 SP3  We have several public folders
with calendars in them.   Accessing the calendars through Outlook '98 works
just fine.  When a user, however, accessing through the Web tries to look at
a calendar in a public folder, he/she actually gets THEIR OWN calendar -
not the one in the public folder.

Anyone else experience this?   Any clues?

2. dumpster recovery backups

3. Problem Viewing Public Calendar in Personal Calendar

4. Exchange Server Security (Privacy Questions?)

5. OUtlook 98 Calendar and Web Access Calendar Problems

6. help me please on express!!

7. Y2K problem - Exchange or GroupShield?

8. NNTP Setup for Exchange Server

9. Exchange Server, Public Folders, and Schedue+ (or Outlook calendar)

10. outlook 2000 and exchange public calendar?

11. after migration Exchange 2000 calendar public folder permissions problem

12. Exchange 5.5 public folder calendar problem