Internet mail restrictions

Internet mail restrictions

Post by <xyl.. » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 15:09:59



Hi,

I am trying to restrict some local users from sending & receiving
 internet emails on Exchange 5.5.  How would I be able to do that if
we are just a member server and does not have access to make
changes on IMS at HQ?

thanks,
Luke

 
 
 

Internet mail restrictions

Post by Martin Tui » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:44:46


That would be hard to do since you need to modify settings in the IMS for
this. To prevent sending and receiving mail read the following article:

http://www.swynk.com/friends/tuip/restricting.asp

--
Martin Tuip
http://www.exchange-mail.org

----

Member of CDOLive
The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
Development
http://www.cdolive.com


Quote:> Hi,

> I am trying to restrict some local users from sending & receiving
>  internet emails on Exchange 5.5.  How would I be able to do that if
> we are just a member server and does not have access to make
> changes on IMS at HQ?

> thanks,
> Luke


 
 
 

Internet mail restrictions

Post by Luke » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Martin,

That's what I thought.  We've removed the SMTP address from the
user  profile, but that does not prevent specific user from sending
internet emails.  The same for receiving, since it will show x.400
format and the recipient can just do a reply.  I've also tried to
remove the x.400 from the user profile but that does not work
either since it still inherit the info from the server/gateway.

Don't know if a firewall will do the trick.

thanks,
Luke


> That would be hard to do since you need to modify settings in the IMS for
> this. To prevent sending and receiving mail read the following article:

> http://www.swynk.com/friends/tuip/restricting.asp

> --
> Martin Tuip
> http://www.exchange-mail.org

> ----

> Member of CDOLive
> The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
> Development
> http://www.cdolive.com



> > Hi,

> > I am trying to restrict some local users from sending & receiving
> >  internet emails on Exchange 5.5.  How would I be able to do that if
> > we are just a member server and does not have access to make
> > changes on IMS at HQ?

> > thanks,
> > Luke

 
 
 

Internet mail restrictions

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00


The best way to deal with that is to create DL "RestrictedUsersatMySite", ask
Exchange admin at HQ include that DL in IMC props/Delivery Restrictions/Reject
Messages from, populate is with relevant mailboxes and hide that DL from GAL.
Then delete SMTP address from relevant mailboxes.


> Hi,

> I am trying to restrict some local users from sending & receiving
>  internet emails on Exchange 5.5.  How would I be able to do that if
> we are just a member server and does not have access to make
> changes on IMS at HQ?

> thanks,
> Luke

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.
And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

 
 
 

Internet mail restrictions

Post by Martin Tui » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Create a DL and name it no_internet and ask the HQ site if they could add it
to the restrictions tab. Give a good reason for it. Now you only need to add
users to the DL and not to the IMC.

--
Martin Tuip
http://www.exchange-mail.org

----

Member of CDOLive
The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
Development
http://www.cdolive.com


> Martin,

> That's what I thought.  We've removed the SMTP address from the
> user  profile, but that does not prevent specific user from sending
> internet emails.  The same for receiving, since it will show x.400
> format and the recipient can just do a reply.  I've also tried to
> remove the x.400 from the user profile but that does not work
> either since it still inherit the info from the server/gateway.

> Don't know if a firewall will do the trick.

> thanks,
> Luke


says...
> > That would be hard to do since you need to modify settings in the IMS
for
> > this. To prevent sending and receiving mail read the following article:

> > http://www.swynk.com/friends/tuip/restricting.asp

> > --
> > Martin Tuip
> > http://www.exchange-mail.org

> > ----

> > Member of CDOLive
> > The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration
Application
> > Development
> > http://www.cdolive.com



> > > Hi,

> > > I am trying to restrict some local users from sending & receiving
> > >  internet emails on Exchange 5.5.  How would I be able to do that if
> > > we are just a member server and does not have access to make
> > > changes on IMS at HQ?

> > > thanks,
> > > Luke

 
 
 

Internet mail restrictions

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00



those mailboxes.
Or you even can assign malformed SMTP address so that it will be rejected by some
SMTP host (and admin at HQ will hate you if you do that).


> Martin,

> That's what I thought.  We've removed the SMTP address from the
> user  profile, but that does not prevent specific user from sending
> internet emails.  The same for receiving, since it will show x.400
> format and the recipient can just do a reply.  I've also tried to
> remove the x.400 from the user profile but that does not work
> either since it still inherit the info from the server/gateway.

> Don't know if a firewall will do the trick.

> thanks,
> Luke


> > That would be hard to do since you need to modify settings in the IMS for
> > this. To prevent sending and receiving mail read the following article:

> > http://www.swynk.com/friends/tuip/restricting.asp

> > --
> > Martin Tuip
> > http://www.exchange-mail.org

> > ----

> > Member of CDOLive
> > The Premier Resource for Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
> > Development
> > http://www.cdolive.com



> > > Hi,

> > > I am trying to restrict some local users from sending & receiving
> > >  internet emails on Exchange 5.5.  How would I be able to do that if
> > > we are just a member server and does not have access to make
> > > changes on IMS at HQ?

> > > thanks,
> > > Luke

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit
http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

Kirill.

 
 
 

1. Internet Mail Restriction

Hi,

I would like to ask wether it is possible with E2k SP1 to restrict Internet Mail for some
users?

We need a solution with a SMTP-Connector. We configured the recipient restrictions as
follows:

no one allowed to send mails through this connector accept mails from: internetMail

Internet Mail is a global security group in W2k's AD which is mail enabled.
We also set the following registry key on the connector server an restarted it:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Resvc\Parameters\CheckConnectorsRestrictions,
DWORD, 1

What we see is that all mails TO the internet are rejected, if the sender is not a member
of this group. But every mail enabled W2k User of our test environment may be reached from
the internet. the restriction doesn't work for mails FROM the internet.

What are we doing wrong?

2. sonicwall firewall

3. Internet Mail Restrictions - except 1

4. %'s at the ends of SMTP addresses

5. Internet Mail Restriction ???

6. New Mail Notification in VB 5.0 from Exchange?

7. Internet Mail Restriction

8. Viewing Private Messages

9. Outbound mail restrictions i.e no internet mail