Mailbox administration

Post by jpeter » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:51:05

Can I get into users mailboxes without sharing it out
through the permissions in Outlook? I need to get into
some mailboxes and don't want to have to reset the domain
password for the user. I'm setup as an Admin in Exchange
and on the network, but I can't open anyone's mailbox but
my own. Any help would be appreciated...

Mailbox administration

Post by jpeter » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:59:29

This is on Exchange 5.5 SP4.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Can I get into users mailboxes without sharing it out
>through the permissions in Outlook? I need to get into
>some mailboxes and don't want to have to reset the
domain
>password for the user. I'm setup as an Admin in Exchange
>and on the network, but I can't open anyone's mailbox
but
>my own. Any help would be appreciated...
>.

Mailbox administration

Post by anonymou » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:12:47

sure just go into the exchange administrator program find the user and grant
yourself user permission for his mailbox

Quote:> This is on Exchange 5.5 SP4.

Mailbox administration

Post by MVP » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:06:05

Exchange 5.5 Service Account has default access to all mailboxes.  Login as
this account, create a new profile with user mailbox you need access too,
then open in Outlook.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

Quote:> Can I get into users mailboxes without sharing it out
> through the permissions in Outlook? I need to get into
> some mailboxes and don't want to have to reset the domain
> password for the user. I'm setup as an Admin in Exchange
> and on the network, but I can't open anyone's mailbox but
> my own. Any help would be appreciated...

Mailbox administration

Post by jpeter » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:23:55

In exchange 5.5 Admin there's not a place to do that...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>sure just go into the exchange administrator program

find the user and grant
>yourself user permission for his mailbox

>> This is on Exchange 5.5 SP4.

Mailbox administration

Post by jpeter » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:36:38

Thanks John, that worked. Is there a way I can do the
same with my account, or is this just restriced to the
one account?
Jason

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Exchange 5.5 Service Account has default access to all

mailboxes.  Login as
>this account, create a new profile with user mailbox you
need access too,
>then open in Outlook.

>--
>John Oliver, Jr.
>MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

>> Can I get into users mailboxes without sharing it out
>> through the permissions in Outlook? I need to get into
>> some mailboxes and don't want to have to reset the
domain
>> password for the user. I'm setup as an Admin in
Exchange
>> and on the network, but I can't open anyone's mailbox
but
>> my own. Any help would be appreciated...

>.

Mailbox administration

Post by Shane Mosel » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:47:16

You can do this with any account like anonymous said except that you need to
enable the permissions page for all objects. That is why you didn't see the
permissions tab for the users mailbox. To enable the permissions page just
go to tools/permissions tab/show permissions for all objects. Now you should
see a permissions tab for all objects including mailbox's. Now insead of
loging in as service account you can give anycount permission to open any
mailbox by giving them user permissions.

> Thanks John, that worked. Is there a way I can do the
> same with my account, or is this just restriced to the
> one account?
> Jason

Mailbox administration

Post by jpeter » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:50:38

Very cool! That's what I needed.
Thanks!
Jason

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You can do this with any account like anonymous said

except that you need to
Quote:>enable the permissions page for all objects. That is why
you didn't see the
>permissions tab for the users mailbox. To enable the

permissions page just
Quote:>go to tools/permissions tab/show permissions for all

objects. Now you should
Quote:>see a permissions tab for all objects including

mailbox's. Now insead of
Quote:>loging in as service account you can give anycount

permission to open any
>mailbox by giving them user permissions.

>> Thanks John, that worked. Is there a way I can do the
>> same with my account, or is this just restriced to the
>> one account?
>> Jason

Mailbox administration

Post by Bvand » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:54:20

Yes there is

Add permission to open other users folder:
1) Look in Servers > [server name] > private information store > mailbox
resources
2) Find the users mailbox you wish to open and double-click on it
3) Click on the "Delivery Options" tab
4) Add your NT account to the "Send on Behalf" permissions list

Add the mailbox to your outlook:
1) From the main Outlook pull-down menu go to Tools > Services
2) Click on the "Properties" button whith the Exchange Server service
highlighted
3) Click on the "Advanced" tab
4) Add the other users mailbox to the list of "Open these additional
mailboxes"

Then you will see the other users mailbox branch in your Outlook folders

Brian

> In exchange 5.5 Admin there's not a place to do that...

1. Forms and Account / mailbox Administration

Sorry if my question is a little bit
unproffessionel but please excuse me because I'm a rookie.
I have installed an Exchange server 5.5, SP3. All my clients are using
Outlook 98/2000.
The staff here have plans about using a standard created form which has to
be filled in by a new employment.
The form has to be send to a speciel account/mailbox (or maybe public
folder) which automatically establish a new account/mailbox from the fields
that has been filled in.
If possible where can I find information about it
- some hints to do it would be nice.
If this isn't possible I would appreciate another solution proposal.

I have the book Programming MS. Outlook and Exchange
by Thomas Rizzi.

Kind Regards Jakob Dyrby

2. Online backup of exch srvr

3. ASP script for mailboxes administration?

4. OWA with 2 domains.

5. Forms and Account / mailbox Administration

6. Database size limits message

7. Delegate Mailbox Administration

8. Exchange Public Folder as Address Book?

9. Mailbox Administration

10. Exchange administration vs. Notes administration

11. Mailbox and User Administration on Exchange 2003

12. Programmatic access to administration/security of a mailbox

13. Remote Administration... Adding Mailboxes