2140 error - can't start exchange event service

2140 error - can't start exchange event service

Post by C Brunel » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:38:55

Help appreciated.  Here's what happened:
Server I'm working on has Exchange 5.5 set up on a PDC
running NT4. (not my idea!) and "administrator" as login
service user for all Exchnge services.
Admin password was changed.  Exchange won't start at all,
giving "invalid logon" messages.  I changed pw back to old
one.  All services started except event service.  I tried
different user, different password for admin, old password
for admin - noluck. Tech refs say change the user assigned
to run the service - no luck.
Any ideas?  This is, of course, the company's "main,
life*, etc" system.
Thanks

2140 error - can't start exchange event service

Post by Melissa Travers [MSFT » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:33:58

The good news is that if you are not doing server side scripting, the Event
Service is a non-essential service.  Leaving it permanently disabled or
uninstalling it will not in any way effect normal functionality of Exchange.
The Event Service has nothing to do with the Event Viewer.

By server side scripting, you would have a custom script or use one of the
scripts that came with the product for use with events.

For example, you could have a script posted to the agents tab of a public
folder ( you have to manually enable an agents tab) and the script could
reply to messages if the public folder is a calendar and accept or deny the
meetings etc.

If you are using this service, then take a look at this article

285021 XADM: Exchange Event Service Does Not Start with Error 2140
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Be sure the account you are using has service account admin rights.

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

Quote:> Help appreciated.  Here's what happened: