Random SMTP shutdown

Post by veri » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:08:59

I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on under WinNT 4.0 SP6a. The Exchange server
is only set up to run Internet Mail Services. The problem I am seeing is
that the Internet Mail Connector randomly loses its ability to SMTP
connections to outside servers. Connections to other internal mail servers
works fine.

The event logs report an error 3010 with a description of "An attempt to
connect to host <hostname> failed." The connection to the DNS works fine.
Once this happens no messages can be sent until the exchange server is
rebooted. Shutting down the Exchange services and restarting them has no
effect.

The problem pops up anywhere from every 45 minutes to 10 days. No other apps
are running on the mail server. Incoming mail still works fine. The logs
leading up to the first event never show any patterns as to what might be
causing the problem.

Anybody have any ideas?

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:39:25

If you mail server inside of a firewall?  If so, does it use a static
outside address, or does it go out via NAT pool?

--

Michael Abbaticchio
http://www.abbaticc.com

> I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on under WinNT 4.0 SP6a. The Exchange server
> is only set up to run Internet Mail Services. The problem I am seeing is
> that the Internet Mail Connector randomly loses its ability to SMTP
> connections to outside servers. Connections to other internal mail servers
> works fine.

> The event logs report an error 3010 with a description of "An attempt to
> connect to host <hostname> failed." The connection to the DNS works fine.
> Once this happens no messages can be sent until the exchange server is
> rebooted. Shutting down the Exchange services and restarting them has no
> effect.

> The problem pops up anywhere from every 45 minutes to 10 days. No other
apps
> are running on the mail server. Incoming mail still works fine. The logs
> leading up to the first event never show any patterns as to what might be
> causing the problem.

> Anybody have any ideas?

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by veri » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 02:37:11

Yes, it is behind a firewall running NAT. What has me confused is that all
other protocols work properly and even SMTP runs more often than not.

viciousdogs

> If you mail server inside of a firewall?  If so, does it use a static
> outside address, or does it go out via NAT pool?

> --

> Michael Abbaticchio
> http://www.abbaticc.com
> http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> > I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on under WinNT 4.0 SP6a. The Exchange
server
> > is only set up to run Internet Mail Services. The problem I am seeing is
> > that the Internet Mail Connector randomly loses its ability to SMTP
> > connections to outside servers. Connections to other internal mail
servers
> > works fine.

> > The event logs report an error 3010 with a description of "An attempt to
> > connect to host <hostname> failed." The connection to the DNS works
fine.
> > Once this happens no messages can be sent until the exchange server is
> > rebooted. Shutting down the Exchange services and restarting them has no
> > effect.

> > The problem pops up anywhere from every 45 minutes to 10 days. No other
> apps
> > are running on the mail server. Incoming mail still works fine. The logs
> > leading up to the first event never show any patterns as to what might
be
> > causing the problem.

> > Anybody have any ideas?

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 02:56:18

Is the firewall a PIX, and is mailgaurd enabled if it is?  You do have a
static conduit setup for the IMS, right?

--

Michael Abbaticchio
http://www.abbaticc.com
http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> Yes, it is behind a firewall running NAT. What has me confused is that all
> other protocols work properly and even SMTP runs more often than not.

> viciousdogs

> > If you mail server inside of a firewall?  If so, does it use a static
> > outside address, or does it go out via NAT pool?

> > --

> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > http://www.abbaticc.com
> > http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> > > I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on under WinNT 4.0 SP6a. The Exchange
> server
> > > is only set up to run Internet Mail Services. The problem I am seeing
is
> > > that the Internet Mail Connector randomly loses its ability to SMTP
> > > connections to outside servers. Connections to other internal mail
> servers
> > > works fine.

> > > The event logs report an error 3010 with a description of "An attempt
> > > connect to host <hostname> failed." The connection to the DNS works
> fine.
> > > Once this happens no messages can be sent until the exchange server is
> > > rebooted. Shutting down the Exchange services and restarting them has
no
> > > effect.

> > > The problem pops up anywhere from every 45 minutes to 10 days. No
other
> > apps
> > > are running on the mail server. Incoming mail still works fine. The
logs
> > > leading up to the first event never show any patterns as to what might
> be
> > > causing the problem.

> > > Anybody have any ideas?

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by veri » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:45:55

We're using a Watchguard firewall. The equivalent of a static conduit is in
place. SMTP sessions can be established with remote sites using different
mail software from a different machine.

This is just a guess, but it almost appears that the allowed number of
outbound connections on the server is being exceeded without the  associated
sockets ever being released. That would explain why rebooting the mail
server and only the mail server corrects the problem. If thats the case, why
doesn't it happen on a more regular basis?

viciousdogs

> Is the firewall a PIX, and is mailgaurd enabled if it is?  You do have a
> static conduit setup for the IMS, right?

> --

> Michael Abbaticchio
> http://www.abbaticc.com
> http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> > Yes, it is behind a firewall running NAT. What has me confused is that
all
> > other protocols work properly and even SMTP runs more often than not.

> > viciousdogs

> > > If you mail server inside of a firewall?  If so, does it use a static
> > > outside address, or does it go out via NAT pool?

> > > --

> > > Michael Abbaticchio
> > > http://www.abbaticc.com
> > > http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> > server
> is
> > servers

> > fine.
> no

> other
> > > apps
> logs
> > be

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 04:29:13

I've seen this before during periods of network congestion.  You could
increase the max connections and see if that helps.  In my case it helped
for a short period of time.  What I ultimately ended up doing was deploying
two dedicated IMS servers and split the smtp traffic between mailbox
servers, using address spaces limited to location.

Are there any applications on your internal network using your exchange box
to relay mail, that might possibly be tying it up?   Possible insider
spamming or legitimate mass mailing?  This is just a long shot.

--

Michael Abbaticchio
http://www.abbaticc.com
http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> We're using a Watchguard firewall. The equivalent of a static conduit is
in
> place. SMTP sessions can be established with remote sites using different
> mail software from a different machine.

> This is just a guess, but it almost appears that the allowed number of
> outbound connections on the server is being exceeded without the
associated
> sockets ever being released. That would explain why rebooting the mail
> server and only the mail server corrects the problem. If thats the case,
why
> doesn't it happen on a more regular basis?

> viciousdogs

> > Is the firewall a PIX, and is mailgaurd enabled if it is?  You do have a
> > static conduit setup for the IMS, right?

> > --

> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > http://www.abbaticc.com
> > http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> > > Yes, it is behind a firewall running NAT. What has me confused is that
> all
> > > other protocols work properly and even SMTP runs more often than not.

> > > viciousdogs

Exchange
> > > server
> seeing
> > is
SMTP
> > > servers

> attempt
> > > fine.
> is
> has
> > no

> > other
The
> > logs
> might
> > > be

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by veri » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:30:24

Increasing the number of outbound connections kept Exchange up and running
for 8 days before the problem popped up again. Adding another server isn't
an option at this point. We have relaying blocked and don't run any
listserves.

Quote:> I've seen this before during periods of network congestion.  You could
> increase the max connections and see if that helps.  In my case it helped
> for a short period of time.  What I ultimately ended up doing was
deploying
> two dedicated IMS servers and split the smtp traffic between mailbox
> servers, using address spaces limited to location.

> Are there any applications on your internal network using your exchange
box
> to relay mail, that might possibly be tying it up?   Possible insider
> spamming or legitimate mass mailing?  This is just a long shot.

Random SMTP shutdown

Post by Michael A. Abbaticchi » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 13:02:41

Have you run any network throughput tests on your server.  If you are
backing up over the network, the data rate will give you somewhat of a
ballpark figure.  I usually get around 321MB/minute, when things are good.
If I copy a large file such as an NT service pack over the network and time
with a stopwatch, I get pretty close to the backup figure.

--
regards,
Mike Abbaticchio
http://www.abbaticc.com
http://www.abbaticc.com/exchange

> Increasing the number of outbound connections kept Exchange up and running
> for 8 days before the problem popped up again. Adding another server isn't
> an option at this point. We have relaying blocked and don't run any
> listserves.

> > I've seen this before during periods of network congestion.  You could
> > increase the max connections and see if that helps.  In my case it
helped
> > for a short period of time.  What I ultimately ended up doing was
> deploying
> > two dedicated IMS servers and split the smtp traffic between mailbox
> > servers, using address spaces limited to location.

> > Are there any applications on your internal network using your exchange
> box
> > to relay mail, that might possibly be tying it up?   Possible insider
> > spamming or legitimate mass mailing?  This is just a long shot.

1. Random Shutdown

Any clues? I can be happily working away and my compaq
laptop will shut down.

-It's not the power
-I don't get a blue screen of death
-I lose everything that I have been working on (seems to
cancel out autosave)
-It happens randomly - after 3 hours, 2 hours
-It only seems to happen when I am working on the computer
-It happens in different applications (word, myob, excel,
explorer)
-It restarts no problems
-It also happens when I print to our Konica printer out
of explorer, but I do get a blue screen of death on this
one.

2. Address Lists empty

3. random inbound SMTP failures

4. Exchange V5.5 with NT SP4

5. SMTP Service = Random emails

6. Outlook 98/Exchange 5.0 -- Deletion of Mailbox

7. Random SMTP outages

8. Mailboxes on 2nd Exch server not receiving

9. Server 5.0 IMS SMTP problems and unexpected shutdown

10. Replies to OWA Messages Contain Random Characters

11. Random NDRs from Exchange 2000