Level2MIMETypes

Post by Gustavo Gi » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:13:15

Some body knows what is the functionallity of the
Level2MIMETypes parameter in the registry?

It's located at
HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

It's value is:
ade,adp,asx,bas,bat,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,exe,hlp,hta,htm,htm
l,htc,inf,ins,isp,js,jse,lnk,mda,mdb,mde,mdz,mht,mhtml,msc,
msi,msp,mst,pcd,pif,prf,reg,scf,scr,sct,shb,shs,shtm,shtml,
stm,url,vb,vbe,vbs,wsc,wsf,wsh,xml

Thanks in advance,

Gustavo Gil
MCSE, MDBA, MCAD

Level2MIMETypes

Post by George Lo » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:20:15

This looks like the Outlook security Level 2 filter. This filters out
attachments with the shown suffix and prevents them from being opened. This
was set up to help virus prevension. I did not know that it also worked in
OWA.

Quote:> Some body knows what is the functionallity of the
> Level2MIMETypes parameter in the registry?

> It's located at
> HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

> It's value is:
> ade,adp,asx,bas,bat,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,exe,hlp,hta,htm,htm
> l,htc,inf,ins,isp,js,jse,lnk,mda,mdb,mde,mdz,mht,mhtml,msc,
> msi,msp,mst,pcd,pif,prf,reg,scf,scr,sct,shb,shs,shtm,shtml,
> stm,url,vb,vbe,vbs,wsc,wsf,wsh,xml

> Thanks in advance,

> Gustavo Gil
> MCSE, MDBA, MCAD

Level2MIMETypes

Post by Billy Harris [MSFT » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:21:40

This was a functionality applied in SP2/SP3 for Exchange 2000.  This changes
the way OWA handles attachments. Prior to these service packs you would get
a prompt to Open or Save the attachment.  Utilizing these registry keys it
forces you to save the listed types of attachments directly to disk,
bypassing the option to Open the item. Delete the keys will result in the
users being able to open all attachments without saving them.  Hope this
helps!

--
Billy Harris
Enterprise Messaging Support

"Please do not send email directoly to this alias.  This is alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

Quote:> Some body knows what is the functionallity of the
> Level2MIMETypes parameter in the registry?

> It's located at
> HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

> It's value is:
> ade,adp,asx,bas,bat,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,exe,hlp,hta,htm,htm
> l,htc,inf,ins,isp,js,jse,lnk,mda,mdb,mde,mdz,mht,mhtml,msc,
> msi,msp,mst,pcd,pif,prf,reg,scf,scr,sct,shb,shs,shtm,shtml,
> stm,url,vb,vbe,vbs,wsc,wsf,wsh,xml

> Thanks in advance,

> Gustavo Gil
> MCSE, MDBA, MCAD

Level2MIMETypes

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Thu, 22 May 2003 08:51:32

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Does anybody know if a MSKB exists for
this topic? I was unable to locate one.

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Development Lead,

CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
Experts http://www.cdolive.com

> This was a functionality applied in SP2/SP3 for Exchange 2000.  This
> changes the way OWA handles attachments. Prior to these service packs
> you would get a prompt to Open or Save the attachment.  Utilizing
> these registry keys it forces you to save the listed types of
> attachments directly to disk, bypassing the option to Open the item.
> Delete the keys will result in the users being able to open all
> attachments without saving them.  Hope this helps!

> "Please do not send email directoly to this alias.  This is alias is
> for newsgroup purposes only.

>> Some body knows what is the functionallity of the
>> Level2MIMETypes parameter in the registry?

>> It's located at
>> HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

>> It's value is:
>> ade,adp,asx,bas,bat,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,exe,hlp,hta,htm,htm
>> l,htc,inf,ins,isp,js,jse,lnk,mda,mdb,mde,mdz,mht,mhtml,msc,
>> msi,msp,mst,pcd,pif,prf,reg,scf,scr,sct,shb,shs,shtm,shtml,
>> stm,url,vb,vbe,vbs,wsc,wsf,wsh,xml

>> Thanks in advance,

>> Gustavo Gil
>> MCSE, MDBA, MCAD

Level2MIMETypes

Post by Neil Hobso » Thu, 22 May 2003 16:28:18

I can't find anything either.  And reference your other post to me in
exchange2000.misc on blocking attachments in OWA, I was trying to refer to
the ability to block attachments in OWA2003 if you connect externally.  I
didn't make it very clear!  :-)

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

> Thanks for the detailed explanation. Does anybody know if a MSKB exists
for
> this topic? I was unable to locate one.

> --
> <Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

> Development Lead,

> CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
> Experts http://www.cdolive.com

> > This was a functionality applied in SP2/SP3 for Exchange 2000.  This
> > changes the way OWA handles attachments. Prior to these service packs
> > you would get a prompt to Open or Save the attachment.  Utilizing
> > these registry keys it forces you to save the listed types of
> > attachments directly to disk, bypassing the option to Open the item.
> > Delete the keys will result in the users being able to open all
> > attachments without saving them.  Hope this helps!

> > "Please do not send email directoly to this alias.  This is alias is
> > for newsgroup purposes only.

> >> Some body knows what is the functionallity of the
> >> Level2MIMETypes parameter in the registry?

> >> It's located at
> >> HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

> >> It's value is:
> >> ade,adp,asx,bas,bat,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,exe,hlp,hta,htm,htm
> >> l,htc,inf,ins,isp,js,jse,lnk,mda,mdb,mde,mdz,mht,mhtml,msc,
> >> msi,msp,mst,pcd,pif,prf,reg,scf,scr,sct,shb,shs,shtm,shtml,
> >> stm,url,vb,vbe,vbs,wsc,wsf,wsh,xml

> >> Thanks in advance,

> >> Gustavo Gil
> >> MCSE, MDBA, MCAD

Level2MIMETypes

Post by Billy Harris [MSFT » Fri, 23 May 2003 01:22:26

Unfortunately, there is no public documentation on this right now, but it
looks like it is in the works.  No clue what the ETA is.

--
Billy Harris
Enterprise Messaging Support

"Please do not send email directoly to this alias.  This is alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

> Thanks for the detailed explanation. Does anybody know if a MSKB exists
for
> this topic? I was unable to locate one.

> --
> <Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

> Development Lead,

> CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
> Experts http://www.cdolive.com

> > This was a functionality applied in SP2/SP3 for Exchange 2000.  This
> > changes the way OWA handles attachments. Prior to these service packs
> > you would get a prompt to Open or Save the attachment.  Utilizing
> > these registry keys it forces you to save the listed types of
> > attachments directly to disk, bypassing the option to Open the item.
> > Delete the keys will result in the users being able to open all
> > attachments without saving them.  Hope this helps!

> > "Please do not send email directoly to this alias.  This is alias is
> > for newsgroup purposes only.

> >> Some body knows what is the functionallity of the
> >> Level2MIMETypes parameter in the registry?

> >> It's located at
> >> HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

> >> It's value is:
> >> ade,adp,asx,bas,bat,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,exe,hlp,hta,htm,htm
> >> l,htc,inf,ins,isp,js,jse,lnk,mda,mdb,mde,mdz,mht,mhtml,msc,
> >> msi,msp,mst,pcd,pif,prf,reg,scf,scr,sct,shb,shs,shtm,shtml,
> >> stm,url,vb,vbe,vbs,wsc,wsf,wsh,xml

> >> Thanks in advance,

> >> Gustavo Gil
> >> MCSE, MDBA, MCAD

Level2MIMETypes

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Thu, 22 May 2003 23:54:19

>And reference your other post to me in
> exchange2000.misc on blocking attachments in OWA, I was trying to
> refer to the ability to block attachments in OWA2003 if you connect
> externally.  I didn't make it very clear!  :-)

Understood. Need more coffee ;-)

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Level2MIMETypes

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Fri, 23 May 2003 02:16:32

Good news :-) Thanks again , Billy!

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

> Unfortunately, there is no public documentation on this right now, but it
> looks like it is in the works.  No clue what the ETA is.

> --
> Billy Harris
> Enterprise Messaging Support

rights.