5.5 -> 2000 Migration : 5.5 Mailbox not deleted!

5.5 -> 2000 Migration : 5.5 Mailbox not deleted!

Post by E. Johns » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:11:51



We have ADC connected between our Exchange 5.5 site and our AD. We're
migrating users from 5.5 servers to 2K servers. We're migrating
hundreds of users at a time between 6pm - 7am.

There are a small number of users that are experiencing having two
mailboxes once the process is complete. It seems that the process that
deletes their mailbox on 5.5 after everything is copied to 2000 is not
working properly. The end result is that they have a mailbox on the
5.5 server, and the Exchange 5.5 GAL shows them being on 5.5, and they
have a mailbox on the E2K server, with AD showing them being on E2K.
This results in their having to switch between two Outlook profiles to
get mail from both sides until we fix them up. This is a major
headache.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Has anyone worked on
troubleshooting this?

Regards,

E.J.

 
 
 

5.5 -> 2000 Migration : 5.5 Mailbox not deleted!

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:58:16


You must restrict access to the Exchange 5.5 server during the migration.
See article 218920.  If you have more than one Exchange 2000 server, the
target server you use is that of the SRS server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
"Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

Quote:> We have ADC connected between our Exchange 5.5 site and our AD. We're
> migrating users from 5.5 servers to 2K servers. We're migrating
> hundreds of users at a time between 6pm - 7am.

> There are a small number of users that are experiencing having two
> mailboxes once the process is complete. It seems that the process that
> deletes their mailbox on 5.5 after everything is copied to 2000 is not
> working properly. The end result is that they have a mailbox on the
> 5.5 server, and the Exchange 5.5 GAL shows them being on 5.5, and they
> have a mailbox on the E2K server, with AD showing them being on E2K.
> This results in their having to switch between two Outlook profiles to
> get mail from both sides until we fix them up. This is a major
> headache.

> Has anyone else seen this behavior? Has anyone worked on
> troubleshooting this?

> Regards,

> E.J.


 
 
 

5.5 -> 2000 Migration : 5.5 Mailbox not deleted!

Post by E. Johns » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:06:15



Quote:> You must restrict access to the Exchange 5.5 server during the migration.
> See article 218920.  If you have more than one Exchange 2000 server, the
> target server you use is that of the SRS server.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it could also be caused by the
ADC? We have a 2-way connection agreement that runs hourly. We do have
a pretty big WAN so I'm wondering if replication latency is a problem.
We seem to be seeing the 5.5 mailbox reappear a bit of time after it's
actually been migrated. We can modify the CA schedule to be turned off
during nights we're running migrations.

Also, disabling logon for the entire server is going to be tough!
since we have around 1300 people on each server and we're migrating
about 400 at a time, so the remaining people don't have access to the
server.

 
 
 

5.5 -> 2000 Migration : 5.5 Mailbox not deleted!

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:41:04


It has nothing to do with the ADC.  Yes, that will be a problem.  Perhaps
you might consider moving those who work during off-hours first so they're
less affected.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
"Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"



Quote:> > You must restrict access to the Exchange 5.5 server during the
migration.
> > See article 218920.  If you have more than one Exchange 2000 server, the
> > target server you use is that of the SRS server.
> > --
> > Ed Crowley
> > MVP - Exchange
> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

> Thanks for the advice. Do you think it could also be caused by the
> ADC? We have a 2-way connection agreement that runs hourly. We do have
> a pretty big WAN so I'm wondering if replication latency is a problem.
> We seem to be seeing the 5.5 mailbox reappear a bit of time after it's
> actually been migrated. We can modify the CA schedule to be turned off
> during nights we're running migrations.

> Also, disabling logon for the entire server is going to be tough!
> since we have around 1300 people on each server and we're migrating
> about 400 at a time, so the remaining people don't have access to the
> server.

 
 
 

1. 5.5 -> 2000 mailbox migration fails

Hi,
I'm testing the Exchange 2000 SP1 Migration Wizard to migrate our 5.5
mailboxes from an NT4 box; it fails after the "Source Exchange 5.5 Server"
info is specified, with the dialog box "Unable to logon to the server.
Please verify the server name, port, account name, and password." The
account is the Services Account Admin on the 5.5 server at all levels
(Organization, Site, Configuration containers). I've followed the
permissions instructions correctly from Microsoft support article Q281496,
as far as I can tell.

On the NT server, an Event ID 529 comes up at the same time as the error,
"Reason: unknown user name or bad password", yet the username and domain are
correct in that log entry, and I know the password is correct for the
account. I tested that LDAP is up and talking on the default port (389). I'm
at a loss here as to why it is failing.

One thing I'm unclear about, Q281496 says "To successfully import directory
information and mail data into Windows 2000 Active Directory and the
Exchange 2000 information store, add the account that is used to run the
Migration wizard to the Domain Administrators group and the Exchange
Administrator group." I don't have an "Exchange Admins" group (as in
security group) anywhere, should that exist? The Administrator account I'm
using to run the wizard is an admin at all levels.

Thanks for any help,
Jim

2. URGENT, Please help!

3. MS Exchange Information Store service hangs on start

4. migration question eschange 5.5 -> exchange 2000

5. Couple of DS questions

6. 5.0->5.5 or 2000 migration tools

7. strange E2k - third level dns - bug ??

8. Exchange 5.5 -> Exchange 2000 migration

9. Exchange 5.5 -> Exchange 2000 Migration

10. Migration from 5.5 --> 2000

11. Migration 5.5 -> 2000

12. Intra Domain Migration 5.5 -> 2000