Running isinteg & eseutil on large priv.edb

Running isinteg & eseutil on large priv.edb

Post by Fredj » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:07:14

Could someone please indicate how much time it should take to run eseutil /p
/v /x, eseutil /mh, isinteg -priv -fix -test alltest and isinteg -patch on a
16 gb priv.edb file. The server is a state of the art Proliant with
sufficient memory.

Thanks for your kind attention. I look forward to receiving your comments.

Kind regards,

Fredje

Running isinteg & eseutil on large priv.edb

Generally you should not run those utils against production database.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:56:16

>Could someone please indicate how much time it should take to run eseutil /p
>/v /x, eseutil /mh, isinteg -priv -fix -test alltest and isinteg -patch on a
>16 gb priv.edb file. The server is a state of the art Proliant with
>sufficient memory.

Unless you have an excellent reason to use that /P switch, don't. If
the database is damaged, restore it from a usable backup.

The ESEUTIL /MH should take about 10 seconds.

The ISINTEG run time depends on the number of errors it encounters,
the number of messages, mailboxes, folders, views, etc in the store,
not the size of the store. In a "normal" store of that size you might
expect it to run for an hour or two.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Running isinteg & eseutil on large priv.edb

Post by Lawrence Ka » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:20:32

Quote:> Unless you have an excellent reason to use that /P switch, don't. If
> the database is damaged, restore it from a usable backup.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you restore from a backup
won't you loose any new mail since the backup was made?  I'm dealing
with a priv.edb corruption issue here, and I'm starting to hate
Exchange :)

Regards,
Lawrence

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:35:42

>> Unless you have an excellent reason to use that /P switch, don't. If
>> the database is damaged, restore it from a usable backup.

>Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you restore from a backup
>won't you loose any new mail since the backup was made?  I'm dealing
>with a priv.edb corruption issue here, and I'm starting to hate
>Exchange :)

If your log files are still usable you won't lose a darned thing.
That's one of the reasons they exist -- to replay transactions.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

Hi,

On our Exchange 5.5 server the priv.edb file is over 50GB in size. The total
size of all the mailboxes is in the region of 20GB. I understood that the
.edb file needed to be de-fragmented as per the instructions at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255035

After running the eseutil command the priv.edb file only shrunk by around
600MB (it took around 24 hours to complete). Is my understanding correct
that it should have cleaned up the unused space in the database or is there
something else that I need to do in order to get the priv.edb file down to
its 'actual' filesize.

Many thanks,

Jo

2. contact list

3. Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

4. Message-ID

5. General rule for running ISINTEG or ESEUTIL

6. no more enpoints available exchange 5.5

7. edb (eseutil/isinteg)

8. Looking for Exchange users in Maritimes

9. restoring mismatched priv.edb & priv.stm

10. Corrupted PRIV.EDB & PUB.EDB

11. Priv.edb & Pub.edb

12. Backing up PUB.EDB & PRIV.EDB

13. PRIV.EDB & PUB.EDB