NDR "content length too long..", mine or theirs

NDR "content length too long..", mine or theirs

Post by Ed Frie » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

An outgoing msg was sent from my site with an 8.5MB attachment, the
following NDR was rec'd back:

The content length of the message is too long for the recipient to take
delivery
 The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
;p=UniLink;l=OUTSIDE9906041706LCSW19Z1
    MSEXCH:IMS:UniLink:UniOutside:OUTSIDE 3552 (000B099C) 11830132 bytes

exceeds server limit of 1500000

My relay server is called Outside, running 5.5 SP2.  Originating server
is Exch 4.0 SP5.   Both servers have "no limit" set for message size.  I
do see an 4174 error logged on the relay server but can't find anything
on it in the KB.  4174 error is Category 5, only contains the sizes
shown above & the ip of the recipient server.  Does this NDR mean, as it
appears, that the size limit is on my end?  Is there a reg key I can
check to confirm that "no limit" is actually in effect?  Any other
ideas?

TIA

Ed

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>The content length of the message is too long for the recipient to take
>delivery
> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
>;p=UniLink;l=OUTSIDE9906041706LCSW19Z1
>    MSEXCH:IMS:UniLink:UniOutside:OUTSIDE 3552 (000B099C) 11830132 bytes

>exceeds server limit of 1500000

>My relay server is called Outside, running 5.5 SP2.  Originating server
>is Exch 4.0 SP5.   Both servers have "no limit" set for message size.  I
>do see an 4174 error logged on the relay server but can't find anything
>on it in the KB.  4174 error is Category 5, only contains the sizes
>shown above & the ip of the recipient server.  Does this NDR mean, as it
>appears, that the size limit is on my end?  Is there a reg key I can
>check to confirm that "no limit" is actually in effect?  Any other
>ideas?

No, it only means that the error is being reported by your server. The
mail system at the recipient side is the one that rejected the
message.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

NDR "content length too long..", mine or theirs

Post by Patrick Ree » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It sounds to me as if the destination server rejected the message. Can you
verify if the recipient's server has a limit?

--
PATRICK REED ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 M.C.P.-Microsoft Exchange Server

Quote:>snip>