Permissions - Am I doing this right?

Post by John » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 23:41:38

Hi,
I've setup the following permissions w/ the following results:

Default: NONE (Folder NOT visible)
Anonymous: Author (Folder visible)

Result: Anonymous can't see or do anything.

Then, I try this:
Default: Author (Folder visible)
Anonymous: NONE (Folder NOT visible)

Result: Anonymous can do everything allowed by the "Author" permission.

the permissions set for the "Default" user.

Is this normal?  Can anyone replicate the issue?

Exchange 2000 Std.
SP1

Thanks,
John Rounds
Epichem Inc.

Permissions - Am I doing this right?

Post by Michael Abbaticchio [MVP » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 14:58:54

Well can you guess what the default user setting does?  Ignore anonymous.
It is not what you think it is.  Leave it set to none.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:53:42

>Hi,
>I've setup the following permissions w/ the following results:

>Default: NONE (Folder NOT visible)
>Anonymous: Author (Folder visible)

>Result: Anonymous can't see or do anything.

>Then, I try this:
>Default: Author (Folder visible)
>Anonymous: NONE (Folder NOT visible)

>Result: Anonymous can do everything allowed by the "Author" permission.

>the permissions set for the "Default" user.

>Is this normal?  Can anyone replicate the issue?

"Anonymous" means that the user has no valid credentials to present.
"Default" means that the user has valid credentials but there's no
special role that applies to this user.

If someone is logged on to the domain then "Default" applies to them.
If you publish Public Folders on a web page then it's likely that the
access to those folders will be from people without a legitimate
userid/password in your domain. "Anonymous" would apply to them.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Am I doing this right?

Our company is planning a migration from Sendmail to Exchange 2000 or 5.5,
the final decision hasn't been made.  Since our staff have .pst files in
there Outlook 2000 client I was planning to create a mailbox for the staff
member and just import the .pst file into the exchange mailbox including
subfolders.  If I'm incorrect please let me know.  Second our laptop staff
will require a .ost file however I am unfamiliar with how to create an ost
file from an exchange mailbox.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Stuart

2. Client Cannot log on?

3. Dynamic CDO profiles: What am I doing wrong?

4. OK, I give up - Instant Messenger

5. Am I doing enough?

6. Exchange SMTP Extension

7. What am I doing wrong?

8. permissions

9. Error 4116 - What am I doing wrong?

10. What Am I Doing wrong: GAL replication

11. What am I doing wrong?

12. What am I doing wrong????????