New exchange 2000 setup not receiving external email

New exchange 2000 setup not receiving external email

Post by Adam Sho » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:47:26

hi all,

before i start, I have spent the past week reading old posts to try
and solve this one, but can't find anything.

I have recently set up and exchange 2000 box, running on win2K. After
much faffing about, Internal email works, and I can send email to the
outside world ok, but email from outside isn't getting in. The setup
is as follows (I'll try and be a thourough as possible, but will know
doubt forget something):

1 Domain controller in the domain, called hal2002 (original!)

domain = brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk

one exchange box called mail

FQDN of MSE box = mail.brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk

reflected in the default recipient policy.

There is the default SMTP virtual server who's IP address is set to
172.16.85.3 as apposed to All unassigned.

Advanced delivery settings on SMTPVS are:

masquerade domain: blank

fqdn: mail.brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk

smart host: blank

external dns servers are set up as the DC's IP, and 2 Powys County
council dns servers.

There is also 1 smtp connector, which has the following setup:

forward all mail to the following smart host:
hub.powys.sch.uk

local bridgheads:
Mail - Default SMTP Virtual Server (only one available)

address space:
type = smpt
address = *
cost = 1
connector scope = entire org
allow messages to be relayed to these domains

everything else is default settings (I think). All services appear to
be running ok.

I have no idea what's wrong! please please please help me someone!

cheers

Adam

New exchange 2000 setup not receiving external email

Post by Ben Winzen » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:12:37

This is your problem.  The entire reason that you are not receiving mail
from the internet is because other mail servers don't know how to reach you!
It would seem to me that if you want to receive mail destined for this
domain, you need to
a) modify the MX record on your external DNS so that instead of pointing to
mail.ruralwales.net, it points to the FQDN of you exchange server.  Second,
you need to modify or add an A record for the FQDN of your exchange server.
Start there.  I've included the DNS findings for your reference.

Authoritative Answer
Recursive queries supported by this server
 Query for brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk type=255 class=1
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk SOA (Zone of Authority)
        Primary NS: ns.ruralwales.net

        serial:2001042314
        refresh:10800s (3 hours)
        retry:3600s (60 minutes)
        expire:604800s (7 days)
        minimum-ttl:86400s (24 hours)
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk NS (Nameserver) ns.ruralwales.net
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk NS (Nameserver) ns2.ruralwales.net
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk NS (Nameserver) dns0.aber.ac.uk
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 5 mail.ruralwales.net
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk NS (Nameserver) ns2.ruralwales.net
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk NS (Nameserver) dns0.aber.ac.uk
  brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk NS (Nameserver) ns.ruralwales.net
  ns.ruralwales.net A (Address) 213.38.133.162
  ns2.ruralwales.net A (Address) 213.38.133.168
  dns0.aber.ac.uk A (Address) 144.124.16.10
  mail.ruralwales.net A (Address) 213.38.133.162

--
Ben Winzenz
Network Engineer

> hi all,

> before i start, I have spent the past week reading old posts to try
> and solve this one, but can't find anything.

> I have recently set up and exchange 2000 box, running on win2K. After
> much faffing about, Internal email works, and I can send email to the
> outside world ok, but email from outside isn't getting in. The setup
> is as follows (I'll try and be a thourough as possible, but will know
> doubt forget something):

> 1 Domain controller in the domain, called hal2002 (original!)

> domain = brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk

> one exchange box called mail

> FQDN of MSE box = mail.brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk

> reflected in the default recipient policy.

> There is the default SMTP virtual server who's IP address is set to
> 172.16.85.3 as apposed to All unassigned.

> Advanced delivery settings on SMTPVS are:

> masquerade domain: blank

> fqdn: mail.brecon-hs.powys.sch.uk

> smart host: blank

> external dns servers are set up as the DC's IP, and 2 Powys County
> council dns servers.

> There is also 1 smtp connector, which has the following setup:

> forward all mail to the following smart host:
> hub.powys.sch.uk

> local bridgheads:
> Mail - Default SMTP Virtual Server (only one available)

> address space:
> type = smpt
> address = *
> cost = 1
> connector scope = entire org
> allow messages to be relayed to these domains

> everything else is default settings (I think). All services appear to
> be running ok.

> I have no idea what's wrong! please please please help me someone!

> cheers

> Adam

New exchange 2000 setup not receiving external email

Post by Adam Sho » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:37:14

Someone else mentioned this too. The council are convinced this isn't
the problem. The IP address of our exchange server is 172.16.85.3 but
this is an internal IP. You shouldn't be able to see past the powys
WAN firewall. at the moment, hub.powys.sch.uk redirects email to
172.16.85.5 which is our current failing email server, we only change
the redirection when we are ready to test something new on the
exchange box. the email seems to be being thrown at the exchange box
by hub, but then being returned. people who send email (when we're
testing) get told it was not delivered by

we did have one strange quirk on friday when we last tested it, which
I'll try to explain.

I have an aberystwyth uni address, which is forwarded at the aber end
to my brecon address. i used this to test the email system, by sending
an email from outlook (and from the old email system to make sure) to
the aberystwyth address, and then trying to recieve it when it's
forwarded. strangely, the email got successfully delivered to outlook
from the exchange box. This is the only email from outside that has
ever been delivered to my mailbox.

the headers from the email which got successfully delivered are as
follows:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
        by hub.powys.sch.uk with scanned-ok (Exim 3.13 #2)
        id 18JuFM-00006d-00

        by hub.powys.sch.uk with esmtp (Exim 3.13 #2)
        id 18JuFJ-00006O-00

        by braint.aber.ac.uk with esmtp (Exim 3.35 #3)
        id 18JuF7-0002uC-01

        by cefni.aber.ac.uk with esmtp (Exim 3.35 #3)
        id 18JuF7-00015j-02

Date:   Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:31:31 -0000

        See http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/ns3/systems/forward.asp

Subject: test