How Can I disable 'Open Relay'?

Post by MT » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:13:07

My mail server is blocked by some mail server, it said the 'Open Relay' is
enable in my server. but how can I disable 'open relay' and accept mails
from other domain?

How Can I disable 'Open Relay'?

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:46:02

E2k is not an open relay, by default. Have you changed something?

> My mail server is blocked by some mail server, it said the 'Open
> Relay' is enable in my server. but how can I disable 'open relay' and
> accept mails from other domain?

How Can I disable 'Open Relay'?

Post by Leif Pederse » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 01:32:36

Hi,

See:

Leif

1. Can't Stop Open Relay and Can't Relay Internal Mail

Please someone kindly help me.  This msg was posted 2 days
ago but the problem still can't be fixed.  Please read the
following re-post.  Thanks.

My Exchsrv 5.5 was identified as Open Relay server by
several anti-spam services.  I tried many ways to fix this
problem by following Paul Robichaux's article
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/security/mail/excrelay.asp), but all failed
to stop relaying.  Even I turned off all relays by
selecting "Do not reroute incoming SMTP mail" on Routing
tab (of course each time I remembered to stop and restart
IMS), the server still keeps relaying endlessly (can be
checked in the Event Viewer/Application Log. I have to
stop IMS currently.

In addition, according to Paul Robichaux's article, I
enabled (checked) "Hosts and clients that successfully
authenticate" and "Hosts and clients with these IP
addresses" and added relevant IP addresses in the box.
However, the mail can't be sent out to the outside domains
from any authenticated user or the computer with relevant
IP.

In short, currently all internal mails can't be relaid to
the outside domains but the spamming massages still keep
passing through the server!

--- Response by JS ---
Internet Mail Service.
should get RECIPIENT
domain....you should get

--- Response by rhu  -------

Thanks for your advice.  Done per your instruction. Tested
with telnet commands you suggested and everything looked
OK.  However, the server is still busy delivering spam
messages in mass volume.  I checked the Event
Viewer/Application Log.  After clearing all records, it'll
be full in a few minutes!  Huge amount of spam mails are
still passing through!

Now all relay are prohibited.  I can't even send out this
message via the server, but the server is still busy to
deliver spam mails from the outside!

Please HELP.  THANKS!

Randall

2. OWA problems after SP1 install

3. Can't disable SMTP relay authentication

4. Interesting Exchange 5.5 problem

5. Can't rename Badmail folder after cleaning up queue (open relay)

6. Search subfolders in public folders.

7. If various mail in Queus means I'm an Open Relay

8. Send on behalve off Distribution group

9. strange issues with Open Relay (after i've closed it)

10. Can't rename Badmail folder after cleaning up queue (open relay)

11. Can't Close Open Relay !!!

12. Open Relay Won't close

13. Closed open relay, now POP clients on pub ISP can't send