Any known Security issues with Outlook Web Access?

Any known Security issues with Outlook Web Access?

Post by Phillip Higgin » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:20:43

We are thinking of implementing OWA at present. Although
I understand there are a few Security issues. IE Cache of
information. Please could anyone point me in the right
direction on any known issues.

Thanks in advance.

Phillip Higgins

Any known Security issues with Outlook Web Access?

Post by Paul Ford [MS » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:04:07

A good place to start is http://www.slipstick.com/exs/owa.htm

IE does cache the credentials and this cache can be cleared by

Closing the browser.
Creating an ActiveX control to clear the cached credentials Q195192 has
details on this, however you would need to download and install the Active X
control on every desktop that accessed OWA so it depends on whether you are
using OWA in a kiosk environment or not.

--
Paul Ford
Microsoft UK LTD

Quote:> We are thinking of implementing OWA at present. Although
> I understand there are a few Security issues. IE Cache of
> information. Please could anyone point me in the right
> direction on any known issues.

> Thanks in advance.

> Phillip Higgins

Any known Security issues with Outlook Web Access?

Post by Phillip Higgin » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:35:09

Thanks for the response.

Just one more question.

If someone used OWA in another company or an internet
cafe and these places used a Proxy server. Would the
information be stored on the proxy server or would the
active X stuff sort this problem out ?

Thanks again.

Phill

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>A good place to start is

http://www.slipstick.com/exs/owa.htm
Quote:

>IE does cache the credentials and this cache can be
cleared by

>Closing the browser.
>Creating an ActiveX control to clear the cached

credentials Q195192 has
Quote:>details on this, however you would need to download and

install the Active X
>control on every desktop that accessed OWA so it depends
on whether you are
>using OWA in a kiosk environment or not.

>--
>Paul Ford
>Microsoft UK LTD

confers no rights

message

>> We are thinking of implementing OWA at present.
Although
>> I understand there are a few Security issues. IE Cache
of
>> information. Please could anyone point me in the right
>> direction on any known issues.

>> Thanks in advance.

>> Phillip Higgins

>.

Any known Security issues with Outlook Web Access?

Post by Ray » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:39:25

Hi Phillip,

Always use SSL and then you don't have to worry about anything except
locally cached pages. We enabled Content Expiration and set it to
Immediately, although I'm not sure if that really helps. It would be nice if
there was a way to prevent SSL pages from being saved to the hard drive with
a setting on the IIS 4 server.

Ray

> Thanks for the response.

> Just one more question.

> If someone used OWA in another company or an internet
> cafe and these places used a Proxy server. Would the
> information be stored on the proxy server or would the
> active X stuff sort this problem out ?

> Thanks again.

> Phill

1. a known Outlook Web Access problem?

        I'm just checking to see is this is a known problem in the Outlook Web
Access, and what the quick fix for it is.  I have just (re)installed NT4
and SP3, MSXS5 and SP1, and all the hotfixes.  My Outlook Web Access
finally works fine except for the public access link.  I get the following
error:  "Unable to initialize page-2147221233".  Is this easily fixable?  I
have made zero configuration changes from this virgin install.
        Also, why am I prompted twice for a password when accessing the page from
outside my domain?  Anyway to just have it ask once?
        Thanks!

                                                                Pv

2. Exchange disk system

3. Outlook Web Access Security Concern Need help with IIS

4. Uninitiated User: Sharing Contacts

5. Outlook Web Access not working after Security update

6. MTA wont start - fatal database error

7. HELP!!! Security glitch in Outlook Web Access

8. IPBOOTP

9. Outlook Web Access Security

10. Outlook Web Access security problems?

11. Outlook Web Access browser security errors

12. Outlook Web Access Security