The mta won't start. I was just handed this server from someone who left the
company, and no one else has administered this server, so I am somewhat blinded.
When I looked at it for the first time it was yesterday, and it wasn't running
Here is some information:
The SA and the exchange directory service are running. Could there be an issue
with their configuration that is preventing the mta from starting?
The mta database was partly corrupted. I ran MTA check on it and it removed
several files. Is there anything else that must be done? I tried replacing
everything in the mdbdata directory with the contents of ../bootenv directory
from the exchange cd. Did not work. Then I tried replacing only the database
files, and that didn't work.
I tried to run sp2 three times, the sp it had originally, but it exited in a
fatal error with: "The object in the directory cannot be found. This may be
because replication has not completed. Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no:
I tried running the knowledge consistency checker and it exited out with this
error: "An error was encountered by the knowledge consistency checker on
server 'PBX1'. <<0xc1030b1e - The knowledge consistency check did not correct
directory inconsistencies. Be sure the directory service is running, and then try
again. If the error recurs, try stopping the directory service and the
Administrator program and then restarting them. To view details of the error, see
the application event log in the Windows NT Event Viewer on the Microsoft
Exchange Server computer on which you checked knowledge consistency.>>"
It did that even after I ran the "update directory from within this site".
There's plenty of disk space on the drive.