Underscore in name?

Post by Hade » Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:33:48

I have been told that having an underscore in the Exchange 5.5 (or other)
name is now illegal?

I have a server that is called abcnew_york.local (windows 2000, Exchange 5.5
SP4) - some hosts won't accept mail from it - is this because of the
underscore then?

Underscore in name?

Post by Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNot » Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:16:25

The underscore is not an RFC-complaint DNS character.  It will still work in
most cases (we used to have a server that way) but as a "best practices"
matter you shouldn't use underscores in the names of any machines that are
going to need to be resolved via DNS.

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.  Mahalo!

Quote:> I have been told that having an underscore in the Exchange 5.5 (or other)
> name is now illegal?

> I have a server that is called abcnew_york.local (windows 2000, Exchange
5.5
> SP4) - some hosts won't accept mail from it - is this because of the
> underscore then?

1. Site name allows underscore or not??

I want to know whether Site names in Exchange 5.5 allows underscore or not??
Because i have used underscore in my Site name but I am not able to use this
name in X.400 connector. When I type underscore in Site name in X.400
connector, it doesnt type and just a beep comes....
So can anyone help me??

Regards,
Omer

2. How to stop NT Service Packs reindex of Exchange

3. underscore in display name or email address

4. AcctCrt.dll file

5. Underscore's in mail server name????????

6. PLEASE HELP I CAN'T SYNC MY OFFLINE FOLDERS!!!

7. Site name allows underscore or not??

8. Voting Buttons

9. underscore in server name

10. Site name allows underscore or not??

11. exchange server with an underscore name

12. Site Name With An Underscore

13. Site Name Has An Underscore "US_LOCAL"