The RPC Server is unavailable (DNS)

Post by Khoa L » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,
I have a NT server 4.0 with SP3 on it.  Recently, I installed the DNS
service on it and for the first time I started the DNS Manager successfully
(create zone, domain, record etc.).  The next day I tried to start the DNS
manager again, I got a message said "The RPC server is unavailable".  I
removed the DNS service and reinstalled it again but still get the same
message.

Anyone can help me please!
Thank you
Khoa

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

>Hi All,
>I have a NT server 4.0 with SP3 on it.  Recently, I installed the DNS
>service on it and for the first time I started the DNS Manager successfully
>(create zone, domain, record etc.).  The next day I tried to start the DNS
>manager again, I got a message said "The RPC server is unavailable".  I
>removed the DNS service and reinstalled it again but still get the same
>message.

Although it's quite old this KB article may help:
Q131469 "Windows NT Err Msg: The RPC Server is Unavailable

This MS KB article sounds like it may be closer to your problem,
though:
Q171181 "DNS Server Fails to Start Due to Unavailable RPC Server
Error"

1. RPC Server Unavailable?

When using the NLTEST utility to check for secure channels it returns
"I_NetLogonControl failed: Status = 1722 0x6ba RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE"

This is returned at the GC server and completes successfully on other DCs.
Does it just not run on the GC so this would be normal, or is there a
problem somewhere?

How do I troubleshoot this?  Thanks!

2. Exchange 5.5 Information Store latency

3. RPC server unavailable

4. problem about sharing ?

5. RPC Service is unavailable

6. Event ID 1101

7. RPC Service is Unavailable Error Message

8. telnet and smtp

9. RPC Service is unavailable

10. Hot to stop Active directory DNS server querying internet DNS servers

11. DNS server is rejecting DNS queries sent using TCP by SMTP service

12. Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable/Unable to resolve server