Offline Defrag

Post by Jeanette Registe » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:40:31

Good evening!  My IT department is planning to move
exchange 5.5 to a new server.  Do anyone know how long a
40 Gig database would take to do an offline defrag since
it is recommended before bring the new server online.  The
current server is on NT 4.0 and the new server will be
Windows 2000.

Thanks.

Offline Defrag

Post by Susa » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:51:30

that depends alot on your hardware - I've defragged a 36 Gig database in
about 6 hours, I believe - I think that was how long the last one took...it
was quite awhile ago.  How much white space is there?

Quote:> Good evening!  My IT department is planning to move
> exchange 5.5 to a new server.  Do anyone know how long a
> 40 Gig database would take to do an offline defrag since
> it is recommended before bring the new server online.  The
> current server is on NT 4.0 and the new server will be
> Windows 2000.

> Thanks.

Offline Defrag

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:09:35

>Good evening!  My IT department is planning to move
>exchange 5.5 to a new server.  Do anyone know how long a
>40 Gig database would take to do an offline defrag since
>it is recommended before bring the new server online.  The
>current server is on NT 4.0 and the new server will be
>Windows 2000.

Figure on anywhere from 4 to 10 GB per hour. The average is probably
closer to 5GB per hour.

How long yours will take depends on how much data there is in the
file. A 40GB database that's only half full will take longer than the
same database at 90% capacity. Disks, memory, and CPU come into play,
too.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Offline Defrag of Pub and Priv IS

To all,

My PrivIS is 1.8GB and has 210 MB of free space.
My PubIS is 50MB and has 23MB of free space.

Should I do an offline defrag now?
What amount of freespace justifies an offline defrag?
With the above information, how long would it take to do an offline
defragmentation of both the PrivIS and PubIS?

I'm very new at Exchange and haven't done an offline defragementation before
so I would appreciate all of your feedback.

Thank you

2. Using Exchange in MS-DOS prompt to send a message

3. Offline defrag information?

4. EXCHANGE on Novell Network

5. Offline Defrag

6. OWA: Sending to Distribution Lists in Public Contacts Folders

7. offline defrag

8. Global Address List problem

9. Offline Defrag Error - 1605 Jet_errKey Duplicate

10. Can't Offline Defrag

11. Offline Defrag

12. Offline defrag of private information store

13. time taken to offline defrag