Outlook Web Access security problems?

Post by Michael Barne » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have setup Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 on my PDC,  and IIS4.0 with OWA on a
BDC.

I have no problem getting to my inbox using IE4 or Netscape from any PC
using my normal account with Domain Admins rights.  However no other user
can get beyond the OWA Logon page...  an error of "cannot get inbox" occurs
or else the username/logon screen re-appears and users are locking their
accounts by trying too many times.

Anyone have any insight for me on this?  I am sure it is a simple
configuration step I am missing that the Help files or White Papers I have
are not covering.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Outlook Web Access security problems?

Post by Tony » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You have to grant the right to log on locally to the OWA server

Quote:> I have setup Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 on my PDC,  and IIS4.0 with OWA on a
> BDC.

> I have no problem getting to my inbox using IE4 or Netscape from any PC
> using my normal account with Domain Admins rights.  However no other user
> can get beyond the OWA Logon page...  an error of "cannot get inbox"
occurs
> or else the username/logon screen re-appears and users are locking their
> accounts by trying too many times.

> Anyone have any insight for me on this?  I am sure it is a simple
> configuration step I am missing that the Help files or White Papers I have
> are not covering.

> Thanks in advance,
> Michael

Outlook Web Access security problems?

Post by Michael Barne » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

That was my problem.  Thank you.  Found the answer here too:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
.asp#Inbox

Michael

> You have to grant the right to log on locally to the OWA server

> > I have setup Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 on my PDC,  and IIS4.0 with OWA on
> > BDC.

> > I have no problem getting to my inbox using IE4 or Netscape from any PC
> > using my normal account with Domain Admins rights.  However no other
user
> > can get beyond the OWA Logon page...  an error of "cannot get inbox"
> occurs
> > or else the username/logon screen re-appears and users are locking their
> > accounts by trying too many times.

> > Anyone have any insight for me on this?  I am sure it is a simple
> > configuration step I am missing that the Help files or White Papers I
have
> > are not covering.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Michael

1. Outlook Web Access Security problem

Hello,
We have started to use the web access and have found a BIG security
problem.  Once you enter a name in the Outlook web access web page, and
you are asked for a login and password, if you enter the Administrators
login and password, you have access to any mailbox you put in the OWA
page.
How do you configure Exchange to avoid that administratros have access
to other mailboxes via OWA?
Thanks,-)

Were using Exchange 5.0 with SP2, IIS3 with the ASP update.

2. Automatic GAL updates---HELP

3. Outlook Web Access security problems?

4. Trying to setup a list server...

5. Outlook Web Access Security problem

6. Sent Time Incorrect on Messages

7. Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

8. HELP! I have to read properties from a deleted message in onMessageDeleted event

9. Outlook Web Access Security Concern Need help with IIS

10. Outlook Web Access not working after Security update

11. HELP!!! Security glitch in Outlook Web Access