exchange mailbox resource size and pst file size

exchange mailbox resource size and pst file size

Post by zzzz » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:25:35

I was really surprised when I finished my PST files extraction from exmerge.

My mailbox resources in E5.5 says that the mailbox is about 1 GB, but, when
I checked the pst file size, it was 2 GB.

Only the issue it was that was I extracted the pst file to the same location
where there was pst file of the same user from previous other days. May be
it appended to the previous pst files.

Any ideas ?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:09:22

>I was really surprised when I finished my PST files extraction from exmerge.

>My mailbox resources in E5.5 says that the mailbox is about 1 GB, but, when
>I checked the pst file size, it was 2 GB.

>Only the issue it was that was I extracted the pst file to the same location
>where there was pst file of the same user from previous other days. May be
>it appended to the previous pst files.

>Any ideas ?

That's not surprising. The PST stores the text part of the message
twice - once in RTF and the other in ASCII. If yo have an read
receipts or delivery receipts in your PST then the size wil begin to
grow pretty fast because thr PST stores the MAPI form for EACH of them
with the message -- and the form ain't small.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

exchange mailbox resource size and pst file size

Post by zero » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:36:17

so do you mean that every pst file I created from exmerge will be twice the
size what I see in Exchange Mailbox Resource window ? What do you mean by
read receipts and deliver receipts """""in the PST""""  ?? The PST file now
has reached beyond 2 GB, what do I do ?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 02:29:02

>so do you mean that every pst file I created from exmerge will be twice the
>size what I see in Exchange Mailbox Resource window ?

The non-attachment part of the message, yes. If there's no attachment
then the size of the PST will be roughly 2x the size of the mailbox.

Quote:>What do you mean by
>read receipts and deliver receipts """""in the PST""""  ??

If someone asks for a read or delivery receipt and keeps it in their
mailbox it's not a problem. But when you move that receipt to the PST
you also copy the MAPI form -- for each message. This can result in
some alarmingly larg PST's!

Quote:>The PST file now
>has reached beyond 2 GB, what do I do ?

No guarantees, mind you. I don't even know if this is the latest
version of the tool:

ftp://ftp.rmcons.com/MSExchange/PstOst/2gb151.zip

If you check with MS PSS they'll tell you if this is the most recent
version and itf not they'll send you the one that is.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Folder Size does not match .pst File Size

When checking size in a .pst file by clicking on Properties - Folder Size,
the
total size is 0K.  However, when viewing the file size through DOS or
Novell, the
size is 44MB. In reality, the .pst file is 0K.  Why is DOS & Novell
indicating
that the file actually has data in it?  Is there a compress program that
must be
run to decrease the file space to it's true size?
    This is because there is "white space" in the PST file, just like the
white space in the Information Store and Directory.  To compress the file,
open its properties in your mail profile, and click the "Compact Now"
button.  You might want to make a backup copy first, just in case.....

2. Exchange/Outlook PIM or Groupware?

3. reducing size of mailbox.pst file

4. Outlook 8.2 for Macintosh

5. 16 Gb File Size Limit - How To Determine File Size

6. One more "killer app" for Exchange Server.

7. help, it's saturday and I'd like to leave work

8. Say an Outlook pst file size was 100MB what would it be on exchange

9. Exchange 4.0 Client PST File Size Problem

10. Exporting Mailbox Resource (Mailbox Size)

11. Accurqacy of mailbox size for mailbox resources

12. Mailbox size increase/decrease do not match the mailbox resource