Exchange 2003 Lab Domain running with Exchange 2000 Production Domain

Exchange 2003 Lab Domain running with Exchange 2000 Production Domain

Post by Lanc » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:52:13

Hi, Folks.

We have installed the Exchange 2003 Beta 2 software in a lab environment on
a different domain from our production Exchange 2000 domain. Exchange 2003
Beta 2 is so good,  especially OWA and OMA, that we would like to migrate
some test accounts from our production domain to Exchange 2003 Beta 2.

Any suggestions for maintaining two separate domains, yet allowing them to
communicate with one another? Maybe setup a trust between the two? We'd like
to receive mail on the production domain and forward it to lab domain. We
can do that no problem.

The simplest solution would be to add an Exchange 2003 Beta 2 server to the
production domain and Exchange organization but we're a little leery about
the modifications it makes to the AD Forest and Domain.

OWA is unbelievable in Exchange 2003 Beta 2 and the product itself seems
very solid!

TIA

Exchange 2003 Lab Domain running with Exchange 2000 Production Domain

Post by Martin Tuip [MVP » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 04:32:37

Do NOT install the Ek3 server in the production domain. It is unsupported.

**  Please prefix your subject header with BETA for posts dealing with
Exchange 2003 **

--------------------------

Quote:> Hi, Folks.

> We have installed the Exchange 2003 Beta 2 software in a lab environment
on
> a different domain from our production Exchange 2000 domain. Exchange 2003
> Beta 2 is so good,  especially OWA and OMA, that we would like to migrate
> some test accounts from our production domain to Exchange 2003 Beta 2.

> Any suggestions for maintaining two separate domains, yet allowing them to
> communicate with one another? Maybe setup a trust between the two? We'd
like
> to receive mail on the production domain and forward it to lab domain. We
> can do that no problem.

> The simplest solution would be to add an Exchange 2003 Beta 2 server to
the
> production domain and Exchange organization but we're a little leery about
> the modifications it makes to the AD Forest and Domain.

> OWA is unbelievable in Exchange 2003 Beta 2 and the product itself seems
> very solid!

> TIA

Exchange 2003 Lab Domain running with Exchange 2000 Production Domain

Post by Lance Osojnick » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:23:51

My email was fairly explicit about maintaining a production domain and a lab
domain. Doesn't it sound like a good idea to get the benefits of E2K3 while
not impacting the production AD domain or Exchange org? Any insight? E2K OWA
is very weak and we have a huge demand for Exchange web based email.

> Do NOT install the Ek3 server in the production domain. It is unsupported.

> **  Please prefix your subject header with BETA for posts dealing with
> Exchange 2003 **

> --------------------------

> > Hi, Folks.

> > We have installed the Exchange 2003 Beta 2 software in a lab environment
> on
> > a different domain from our production Exchange 2000 domain. Exchange
2003
> > Beta 2 is so good,  especially OWA and OMA, that we would like to
migrate
> > some test accounts from our production domain to Exchange 2003 Beta 2.

> > Any suggestions for maintaining two separate domains, yet allowing them
> > communicate with one another? Maybe setup a trust between the two? We'd
> like
> > to receive mail on the production domain and forward it to lab domain.
We
> > can do that no problem.

> > The simplest solution would be to add an Exchange 2003 Beta 2 server to
> the
> > production domain and Exchange organization but we're a little leery
about
> > the modifications it makes to the AD Forest and Domain.

> > OWA is unbelievable in Exchange 2003 Beta 2 and the product itself seems
> > very solid!

> > TIA

1. Exchange 2000 Dev machine in same domain as Exchange 5.5 Production Machine

I work as a developer in a small company where they are running Exchange 5.5
in a Win2K environment with AD.  I want to setup an Exchange 2000 box to do
some development work on it.  What would be the pitfalls if any to place the
Exchange 2000 box in the same domain as the 5.5 box?  Would it be better to
setup the Dev machine as a separate entity with it's own DNS, AD, Domain,
etc. or have it join the existing domain?  We have external support for our
network and I would like some outside opinions on this.

Thanks
William

2. Directory Editing for Human Resouces

3. Migrate from NT4 domain to 2k domain and Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003

4. How to Export Information to PAB File ??

5. Exchange 2000 on a mixed 2003 and 2000 domain environment

6. smtp won't restart

7. Panic - system attendant will not start Exchange 2000 in a Win 2003 domain

8. STORE.EXE

9. Exchange 2000 with Windows 2003 Domain Controllers

10. Install Exchange 2000 in Windows 2003 Domain

11. Exchange 2000 in Windows 2003 domain

12. Move from NT domain with Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2000

13. Demote Domain Exchange 2000 Server, add to other domain Exchange 2000 Server