Priv.ebd size V Size of all private mailboxs

Priv.ebd size V Size of all private mailboxs

Post by Bevan B » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

I have Exchange 5.5 running on a NT 4.0 SP3. I have 80 users and the total
sum of private mailboxes is approx 120MB. However the Priv.edb is 502MB. I
run an offline defrag once a week.
My questions:
1. Is this normal or do I have a problem?
2. If normal, would latest service pack assist.?
3. Would a rebuild reduce the priv.edb.?

Thanks in advance!
Bevan Blakeney.

Priv.ebd size V Size of all private mailboxs

Post by D. Sengupt » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

What command exactly are you running for your defrag?

--
D. Sengupta, MCP
sengupta at ncf dot ca

>I have Exchange 5.5 running on a NT 4.0 SP3. I have 80 users and the total
>sum of private mailboxes is approx 120MB. However the Priv.edb is 502MB. I
>run an offline defrag once a week.
>My questions:
>1. Is this normal or do I have a problem?
>2. If normal, would latest service pack assist.?
>3. Would a rebuild reduce the priv.edb.?

>Thanks in advance!
>Bevan Blakeney.

Priv.ebd size V Size of all private mailboxs

Post by Bevan B » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

I do it all by batch.

Stop the exchange services
Run:
eseutil /d /ispriv
AND:
eseutil /d /ispub
Start the exchnage services

I think I may need to implement better autoarchive setings on the clients
(Outlook 97). There doesn't seem to be a good way to clean up mailboxes via
the server. The one in exchange either does too much or not enought.
Thanks!

Bevan Blakeney...

Quote:> What command exactly are you running for your defrag?

> --
> D. Sengupta, MCP
> sengupta at ncf dot ca

1. difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

Hi there,

I have a server running Exchange 5.5 SP4, which has recently started
hitting the 16Gb limit for exchange standard.

My query is this - If I export the Mailbox Resourses list, and add the
Total K column up, it only comes to 5.5gb - where has the extra 10Gb
gone?

I've tried offline defrags, they dont reduce the size very much.

isinteg -test alltests shows 0 errors
eseutil /g shows database consitent

Deleted Item retention is set to 0 days, and the ticky box for dont
delete till backup is unticked.

We are running Backup Exec doing a brick backup of both the whole
information store and the individual mailboxes - this completes
without errors. 10 days ago this was backing up the first 35 mailboxes
totalling 12Gb!, and giving errors saying unable to access the
remaining ones. This has now stopped and its backing up all 137
mailboxes (though nothing has changed permissions wise)

In the last week, the database size shot up by 2gb for no apparent
reason - the previous week it only grew by 30mb.

I think i've detailed all relevant info - if I've missed anything i'd
appreciate knowing! Its doing my head in.

Cheers

Ross Woodward - MCSE Win2k NT4 (not exchange though - yet)
NE Solutions Ltd

2. AUTO FORWARDING OF MESSAGES

3. PRIV.EDB size vs Mailbox Resources

4. customising owa2000

5. Mailbox sizes reported vs. backup size

6. About ESEUTIL, do you still need twice the database size in HD space?

7. Reducing EBD File Sizes

8. Listserver for Exchange

9. Changing the Message size limit for multiple mailboxs

10. private IS size

11. Maximum private database size reached

12. Private Information Store Size?

13. size of private store increasing