Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Post by Henrik Plat » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

When starting Microsoft Exchange Directory service I get the following
error:

"An internal Windows NT error has occurred. Error 2140."

I have tried Edbutil /R /DS without success. A reinstall from the
Exchange CD isn't possible because it stops when tryingg to start the
above service.

I'm running NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.0

Do I really have to delete my Exchange and then reinstall ?

Henrik Platz,
Denmark

Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Post by TH » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Ensure that you have a domain + name for the server...just go to the TCP/IP
properties and add a name:

Start, Settings. Control Panel, Network, DNS, Domain make sure there is an
entry. If that is not it, then Exchange Server Common, Admin, Connections
the IMC, make sure that the SMTP entry has a space of "*.* and a cost of
"1". Also make sure that the Admin box is valid.

Remove the Internet Mail Connector and add it again. File, New other, Mail.

That should do it...

T. Holm

>When starting Microsoft Exchange Directory service I get the following
>error:

>"An internal Windows NT error has occurred. Error 2140."

>I have tried Edbutil /R /DS without success. A reinstall from the
>Exchange CD isn't possible because it stops when tryingg to start the
>above service.

>I'm running NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.0

>Do I really have to delete my Exchange and then reinstall ?

>Henrik Platz,
>Denmark

Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Post by TH » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi again,

There was a typo....the SMTP entry should be "*" (just the star :) ).

T. Holm

>Hi,

>Ensure that you have a domain + name for the server...just go to the TCP/IP
>properties and add a name:

>Start, Settings. Control Panel, Network, DNS, Domain make sure there is an
>entry. If that is not it, then Exchange Server Common, Admin, Connections
>the IMC, make sure that the SMTP entry has a space of "*.* and a cost of
>"1". Also make sure that the Admin box is valid.

>Remove the Internet Mail Connector and add it again. File, New other, Mail.

>That should do it...

>T. Holm

Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Post by B » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The reinstall option on the Exchange CD only reinstalls the .DLL and
.EXE files and such.  It will not recreate a Dir.edb.  That is why you
still get that error message.

Your Backup is your best bet for recovery.

Look up KB article #Q131727.  This might get you out of the woods but
their scenario is a little different than yours.
Still it is worth a try.

If the Edbutil /r /ds does not work and you do not have a backup then
you will have to use the Edbutil /d /r /ds which is very destructive.
It will go through and try to fix bad pages in the database.  If it
finds a bad page and Edbutil does not know what to do with it then the
utility will toss it out. If that tossed page has any pointers to
other messages or attachments you can bid them farewell too.

Make copies of any database before running any utilities on it.

The next scenario is to remove Exchange and then reinstall.  This will
recreate a new Dir.edb file.

Quote:>When starting Microsoft Exchange Directory service I get the following
>error:

>"An internal Windows NT error has occurred. Error 2140."

>I have tried Edbutil /R /DS without success. A reinstall from the
>Exchange CD isn't possible because it stops when tryingg to start the
>above service.

>I'm running NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.0

>Do I really have to delete my Exchange and then reinstall ?

>Henrik Platz,
>Denmark

Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Post by Sean Boga » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Henrik,

I ran into this problem during my last upgrade just a few days ago.  Take
a look at this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q166/3/35.asp?FR=0

Also, do you have IIS or Active Server Pages running or did they run at
one time on that machine.  When I ran into this problem, I had some minor
hard drive inconsistencies, but after those were fixed and I still got the
error, I eventually found that IIS and Active Server Pages had been
installed and improperly uninstalled on the machine.  Check your Event
Viewer for an error message with a hex address in it if the above article
doesn't fix the problem.  I had to reinstall IIS and then uninstall Active
Server Pages and then uninstall IIS and everything went smoothly.

Sean Bogan

> When starting Microsoft Exchange Directory service I get the following
> error:

> "An internal Windows NT error has occurred. Error 2140."

> I have tried Edbutil /R /DS without success. A reinstall from the
> Exchange CD isn't possible because it stops when tryingg to start the
> above service.

> I'm running NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.0

> Do I really have to delete my Exchange and then reinstall ?

> Henrik Platz,
> Denmark

Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error.....

Post by Henrik Plat » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thanks guys, I'm running again.

All my troubles started with a full NT-server disk.

I manually moved my Exchsrvr directory and then it all went wrong.
After restarting the server and finding that the Exchange-services didn't
start
I also found that my backup was taken online and therefore didn't backup my

dir.edb, priv.edb and pub.edb.

Here are a short summary of my errors:

- Exchanges: Error -550 when starting services
- When starting Exchange Admin: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM
- Internal NT error 2140 when starting Directory service
- Exchange error -528  when starting Information Store service
- Specific error 4294966768 when starting Information Store service
- Specific error 4294966095 when starting Information Store service
- Information Store fails to start with -1011 error

All the error appeared in a different order until all my directly recieved
mails
and the answers in this group helped me solving the problems.

The solution was moving/deleting some log-files, running edbutil and
isinteg with different
parameters and then it all started.

Then next step is checking the installation with the optimisation program.

And of course changing my bachup-procedures.

Regards

Henrik Platz

1. Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred

Hi ALL,

Anyone experiance this issues and have a quick fix? I'm running Winnt4.0
Server SP6, Exchange Server 5.5 SP3.
My Exchange Event Service fail each time I try to restart it. It give me an
error below. Beside this issue, My Exchange Server is running fine.
But this issues have to be correct.

Could not start the Microsoft Exchange Event Service services on
\\Domainname
Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred.

Before I try MS recommendation on:

Q190993 & Q270855

Oh...could this be my backup program ARCserveIT 6.61 causing this. I must
readed on this group, that very similar issues.

Thank you in advance for your advices.
Now on to trouble shooting time=)

Cheer!
Chris

2. mailbox resources...

3. MoveMailbox and Security

4. Error 2140: An internal Windows NT Error occurred

5. web access

6. Error 2140: Internal Windows NT error

7. Mail format being lost

8. Error 2140 Internal Windows NT Error ( German Version)

9. Starting ME Internet Mail Service gives error 2140 (Internal Windows Error)

10. error 2140: an Internal NT error occured

11. Error 2140: NT internal error when starting Directory service