Help !!! Message size restrictions.

Post by Michael Caka » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

        My Exchange server (5.5 sp2) has recently started playing up.
Everytime I try to send a message with an attachment, I receive a message in
my mailbox stating that:

------
A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error.

    500 message is larger than 10485760 bytes
The message that caused this notification was:

    Subject: HELP !!!
---------
To my knowledge I have not added any mail size restrictions to any users
(let alone myself). I have not limits on the size of my mailbox.

I'm also having a problem with some messages sitting in the IMC outgoing
queue. I know for a fact that the domians that the messages are heading to
exist (they worked a week ago).

I have not done anything to the server apart from re-start it two weeks ago
(the problems started around a week ago).

Can anyone point me to where I should be looking to stop these very annoying
problems from happening?

Thanks for any input.

michael.

Post by Rich Matheis » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Can anyone point me to where I should be looking to stop these very annoying
>problems from happening?

Since the messages appear to be addressed to SMTP mailboxes I'd check
the "General" tab of the IMS property page. But your SMTP server,
sss_nt1.strategicsuper.com.au, doesn't appear to have any message sie
limits set:

250-sss_nt1.strategicsuper.com.au Hello
[1Cust205.tnt1.framingham.ma.da.uu.net]
250-XEXCH50
250-HELP
250-ETRN
250-DSN
250-SIZE 0
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 TLS

Another place to check is the MTA and the mailbox itself.

You might also find that the message limits are imposed by someother
server outside your machine. Because you disguised the addresses in
the description of the problem I can't help you there.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Help !!! Message size restrictions.

Post by Alanna » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

When dealing with Internet mail, your mail system is not always to blame -
destination systems can also be the cause of problems...

[snip]

Quote:>------
>A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error.

>    500 message is larger than 10485760 bytes

As a test, try sending the message to an alternative domain that you know is
able to receive messages of the size the message is that you are trying to
send (if message contains confidential info, create a test message of the
same size and try sending it to both domains).

[snip]

Quote:

>I'm also having a problem with some messages sitting in the IMC outgoing
>queue. I know for a fact that the domians that the messages are heading to
>exist (they worked a week ago).

Are all the messages addressed to one domain (maybe two) - it could be that
the server managing this domaim is currently off-line, or that a major route
connection is down.  If you know the destination, contact them to find out
if they are having problems with their Internet connection...

You should have one of two messages when viewing details of the queued
messages - unable to resolve host name, or unable to resolve recipient name.
If it is the former, could be that connection to the domain is down.  If it
is the latter, the destination recipient address is incorrect - usually a
simple syntax error.

Quote:>Thanks for any input.

Hope this helps...

1. Size restriction problem where there's no restriction

We are having a strange problem receiving email with large
attachments eventho we don't have any size restriction on
the server, mailboxes or the firewall.

Any files that are sent over 900K just disappear.  They
never reach the firewall (Astaro),(at least it's not
logged) nor do it reach the mailboxes.

Save sent records are recorded from the sending mail box.

Our ISP only points our mail to the server, they don't
regulate the size of it.  Has anyone seen anything like
this?  Or can make suggestions to help our problem?

2. alias for shared mailbox

3. Exchange message size restriction

4. Outlook 98 and Contacts

5. message size restriction and warnings to users

6. Restoring deleted mail?

7. Message size Restriction

8. Backup

9. Global message size restrictions?

10. message/attachment size restrictions

11. Message Size Restrictions on 5.5...

12. Q: Mailbox Message Size Restrictions?

13. Message Size Restrictions