Is this possible....?

Post by Chris Lem » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:41:30

Hello,

I have a customer with an Exchange 5.5 server with SP4.  The server is NT4 with SP6a.
There are 35 recipients most are local and a handfull are global.

The administrator gets hundreds of emails  a week destined for people that no longer work there.  Is it possible to block these emails, or at least let the sender know that they no longer exist in this mailserver?

Thank you for any help,
Chris

Is this possible....?

Post by Thordur Adalsteinsso » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:55:35

Hi,

One thing you can do is to create a distribution list with no members, and
add the email addresses that you dont want to recive mail for as the
addresses of the distribution list. this is in effect the same thing as dev
null in unix

TA

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a customer with an Exchange 5.5 server with SP4.  The server is NT4
with SP6a.
> There are 35 recipients most are local and a handfull are global.

> The administrator gets hundreds of emails  a week destined for people that

no longer work there.  Is it possible to block these emails, or at least let
the sender know that they no longer exist in this mailserver?
Quote:

> Thank you for any help,
> Chris

Is this possible....?

Post by Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNot » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:10:19

When the server receives the e-mail message bound for an invalid address it
should bounce a non-delivery report back to the sender.

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.  Mahalo!

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a customer with an Exchange 5.5 server with SP4.  The server is NT4
with SP6a.
> There are 35 recipients most are local and a handfull are global.

> The administrator gets hundreds of emails  a week destined for people that

no longer work there.  Is it possible to block these emails, or at least let
the sender know that they no longer exist in this mailserver?
Quote:

> Thank you for any help,
> Chris

Is this possible....?

Post by MVP » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:47:14

> When the server receives the e-mail message bound for an invalid address
it
> should bounce a non-delivery report back to the sender.

>> Hello,

>> I have a customer with an Exchange 5.5 server with SP4.  The server is
NT4 with SP6a.
>> There are 35 recipients most are local and a handfull are global.

>> The administrator gets hundreds of emails  a week destined for people
that
> no longer work there.  Is it possible to block these emails, or at least
let
> the sender know that they no longer exist in this mailserver?

>> Thank you for any help,
>> Chris

Hello,

and if you don't want the admin to receive "NDR messages", you can also
configure the "internet mail connector" not to send this kind of message
(uncheck the corresponding checkbox in the general tab under notifications).

Bye.

--
Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL
MVP Exchange,SQL/Server

1. Am I Dreaming?

there's no way native way to sort or filter by message count - you might be able to do it using VBA, maybe by adding a category based on message counts, but it would need to update each message when a new one arrived and wouldn't be practical.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com

Want to search for answers? http://groups.google.com
To see the most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&...

  Do you know a way that I could filter (maybe >50 items) or sort this view.

  I want to see those conversations with the most items..

  Adam
  Check out these hot utilities for .NET, VB, SQL Server and Access developers.... www.ssw.com.au
  * SSW Data Renovator  - Compare the differences between two data.mdb's
  * SSW Upsize PRO! - Don't UPSIZE to SQL Server without it
  * SSW SQL Script Wizard - A utility to run .sql files
  * SSW Performance PRO! - Find out what is slow in your Access App
  * SSW Contactor - An outlook COM Add in

2. 20 characters limit?

3. I am getting the following error when trying to access sample exchange apps

4. Please Help!

5. I am looking for a good Fax server addon for Exchange 5.5

6. Exchange 5.5 System Requirements

7. Am I correct on this?

8. workflow event sink - arrive message text

9. I am looking for a way to synchronize our palm units VIA Internet

10. I am getting a an error MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND

11. I am sorry...It is the remaining part of the program

12. Dynamic CDO profiles: What am I doing wrong?

13. Pooled MTS and MAPI/AM/CDO connections?