message size and mailbox size?

Post by jeff » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:50:54

hello,

this is driving me nuts, exchange 5.5, message size and
mail box size set to "nolimit" i` still cant send large
attachments "13M" the exchsrvr dir sits on the d:\ with
2.5Gigs of hard disk space free. i get this message

A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error.

        15863983 bytes exceeds server limit of 3145728

but this message has different numbers on differnet users,
there are no special settings on the mailbox itself.
seeing that all settings a confiured for "nolimit" is
there a place in the registery that i can check?

thanks

message size and mailbox size?

Post by Arlo Clizer [MVP » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:02:13

Quote:> hello,

> this is driving me nuts, exchange 5.5, message size and
> mail box size set to "nolimit" i` still cant send large
> attachments "13M" the exchsrvr dir sits on the d:\ with
> 2.5Gigs of hard disk space free. i get this message

> A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error.

>      15863983 bytes exceeds server limit of 3145728

> but this message has different numbers on differnet users,
> there are no special settings on the mailbox itself.
> seeing that all settings a confiured for "nolimit" is
> there a place in the registery that i can check?

> thanks

Where is the message being sent to? This is most likely a limit on the
OTHER side of the message. I've seen this numerous times with hotmail
accounts and the like. Could that be the case?

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

1. difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

Hi there,

I have a server running Exchange 5.5 SP4, which has recently started
hitting the 16Gb limit for exchange standard.

My query is this - If I export the Mailbox Resourses list, and add the
Total K column up, it only comes to 5.5gb - where has the extra 10Gb
gone?

I've tried offline defrags, they dont reduce the size very much.

isinteg -test alltests shows 0 errors
eseutil /g shows database consitent

Deleted Item retention is set to 0 days, and the ticky box for dont
delete till backup is unticked.

We are running Backup Exec doing a brick backup of both the whole
information store and the individual mailboxes - this completes
without errors. 10 days ago this was backing up the first 35 mailboxes
totalling 12Gb!, and giving errors saying unable to access the
remaining ones. This has now stopped and its backing up all 137
mailboxes (though nothing has changed permissions wise)

In the last week, the database size shot up by 2gb for no apparent
reason - the previous week it only grew by 30mb.

I think i've detailed all relevant info - if I've missed anything i'd
appreciate knowing! Its doing my head in.

Cheers

Ross Woodward - MCSE Win2k NT4 (not exchange though - yet)
NE Solutions Ltd

2. Adding Administrator Accounts

3. max mailbox size, max pub folder size

4. import .wab???

5. Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

6. How can I view the GAL through OWA

7. total mailbox size not eq to edb size

8. secure the mail

9. exchange mailbox resource size and pst file size

10. Mailbox sizes reported vs. backup size

11. edb Size versus Mailbox size=16gb difference??

12. Exchange Mailbox Received message limited size

13. Editing of Mailbox size warning messages