NNTP Feed Problem

Post by Richard War » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:36:19

Hi, I am still having problems getting news feeds to work properly, but
now have more information to narrow down what is happening.

If I set a feed to to collect only one newsgroup, eg remove "*" and add
"microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin", the feed works fine and collects
news every 15 minutes as requested.

The problem comes if I add two or more newsgroups to the feed, eg to the
above feed add "microsoft.public.exchange2000.transport", then it stops
collecting news.  My take on the matter and after looking at some
generated log files (used third party program to dump whole conversation
to server to a file), is that our exchanger server is only checking the
first group in the list for new messages.  If there are none then it
disconnects, and never bothers to check the other group for new
messages.  If there are messages on the first group in the list, then
the second group is checked.

Does anyone know if this is an issue, or if it is by design. If it is by
design WHY!!!

Any information would help as we currently have 1 feed per newsgroup to
get round this.

TIA

Richard Ward

Warwick International Computing Systems Ltd.
Warwick House

NNTP Feed Problem

Post by Jason Meye » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 04:56:41

ok not bieng a NNTP expert but the way I understood it is that if you set up
a feed and just include the newgroup microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin,
thats all its going to grab. If you try to add
microsoft.public.exchange2000.transport, that a completely different
newgroup and one that already exists, its going to fail, or not show up
since you can only view the admin newsgroup. Not sure if I explained that
well, but hopefully you will get the idea or someone else will chime in and
explain it better.

Jason

[...]

Post by Jason Meye » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 04:58:44

Sorry disregard my earlier post....i need to remember to read more closely.

Anyways. why not just grab microsoft.public.exchange2000*?

Jason

[...]

Post by Richard War » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:37:08

We don't have the bandwidth to grab loads of groups, (only on a 64K ISDN
line). We need to be selective in what we supply to our employees, and its
not just exchange newsgroups we want, there are oracle, Sybase and mssql
ones, only with a few programming ones as well.

Richard

> Sorry disregard my earlier post....i need to remember to read more
closely.

> Anyways. why not just grab microsoft.public.exchange2000*?

> Jason

> Hi, I am still having problems getting news feeds to work properly, but
> now have more information to narrow down what is happening.

> If I set a feed to to collect only one newsgroup, eg remove "*" and add
> "microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin", the feed works fine and collects
> news every 15 minutes as requested.

> The problem comes if I add two or more newsgroups to the feed, eg to the
> above feed add "microsoft.public.exchange2000.transport", then it stops
> collecting news.  My take on the matter and after looking at some
> generated log files (used third party program to dump whole conversation
> to server to a file), is that our exchanger server is only checking the
> first group in the list for new messages.  If there are none then it
> disconnects, and never bothers to check the other group for new
> messages.  If there are messages on the first group in the list, then
> the second group is checked.

> Does anyone know if this is an issue, or if it is by design. If it is by
> design WHY!!!

> Any information would help as we currently have 1 feed per newsgroup to
> get round this.

> TIA

> Richard Ward

> Warwick International Computing Systems Ltd.
> Warwick House

NNTP Feed Problem

Post by Jason Fitzpatric » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:43:15

Hi All.

I have just run in to the same problem as Richard, I am able to recieve one
news group fine eg: microsoft.public.isaserver but when I add
microsoft.public.exchange2000.* to the list it is skipped in the pickup,
even better, if I choose to move exchange2000.* to the top of the list it is
picked up and isaserver is skipped,  Help me as I am getting a headache from
smashing my head off the table.

Jay

[...]

1. NNTP Feed Problems

Hello,

I have tried to add a standard Pull feed via Exchange
2000, and for some reason, even though it grabs the groups
from the server (if I leave the * as default), it will get
an error 90 in the event ID, and states that it connected,
but the status is "failure".  Note - with both NNTP
servers, I have a username and password.

I'm using Usenet and SBCGlobals NNTP servers - both have
the same results. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Gil

2. How to add new UPN Suffixes in "Active Directory Domains and Trusts"

3. NNTP Feed Problem

4. Automatically open other user's calendars on Outlook Startup

5. NNTP feed problem

6. Inbox says there are more messages than really are there

7. Problems with an NNTP Feed

8. Mailbox Cleanup Agent

9. problems with getting nntp feed from msnews.microsoft.com

10. NNTP "simple" feed problems

11. TimeStamp on Exchange NNTP inbound feeds

12. NNTP Feeds

13. NNTP Feed to news.microsoft.com Fails