Outlook Express once again.

Post by Paul » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi there.
I have exchange 5.5 hosted on a server that belongs to my win nt 4
domain. That server has two nics. One goes to the internet and the
other to the domain. My email client is Outlook 97 and everything goes
ok. The users connect to their mail accounts only over the LAN (using
Outlook 97 MS Exchange service). Now i want some users to connect
(over the LAN, also) using Outlook Express. The name of the exchange
host server is MIGUELANGELO. I setup an acount on OE with server
information: SMTP server= MIGUELANGELO, POP3 server=MIGUELANGELO (i
did try the dns name, also, with the same negative results);
Log on using: Paulo (my domain account) my domain password; i didn't
check "My server requires authentication" on Outgoing mail server
frame. On the Connection tab i said to connect over the LAN. On the
Advanced tab i configured SMTP and POP3 to use SSL on ports 465 and
995 respectively. BUT SOMETHING IS MISSING BECAUSE when i try to
connect OE returns an error message: "A secure connection to the
server could not be established. Account: 'MIGUELANGELO', Server
'MIGUELANGELO', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error
Number: 0x800CCC1A". Exchange returns the folowing error (Event
Viewer): Event ID=13002, Source: MSExchange Pop3, Type: Error,
Category: Authentication, Description: "An attempt to connect an SSL
client failed because the server does not have a valid certificate".
What is missing?

Bye,

Paulo.

Outlook Express once again.

Post by Michael Brisbi » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

You need to obtain a server certificate.  This could be from a Certificate
Authority like E-Certify (www.e-certify.com)  or Verisign
(www.verisign.com).
You could also use the certificate server in option pack 4 if you don't want
to purchase a commercial cert.
To do this you have to install IIS and use the key manager to generate a
certificate request.
Submit this request to the Certificate Authority and they will send you a
signed certificate.
The certificate has to be installed for each service that will use SSL
(smtp, pop3, imap4 etc.)

Quote:> Hi there.