Multi-Site vs Multi-Server/Single-Site via WAN

Multi-Site vs Multi-Server/Single-Site via WAN

Post by Brian Davi » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:11:38

I am looking for some good information regarding the best practice for
connecting 3 Branches with a corporate Email Structure using Exch 5.5

We currently have an Internet VPN using Cisco PIX's with full T1's at two of
the sites.  We may decide to install a Frame Relay network between
facilities and one central point for Internet Access company wide.

Using the VPN, I believe it would be best to use the IMS as a site connector
but what would be a good solution over a Frame config that would minimize
bandwidth requirements of Exch replication.

I would like as many real world cases as possible since some of this
information may be used to back up my final solution.

Multi-Site vs Multi-Server/Single-Site via WAN

Post by paul » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 00:30:08

At present we have a number of sites in our exchange organisation.  We us
VPN tunnels between most of our office due to the location of each making a
private network cost inefficient but we also have frame relay links between
some of the offices that are close together.  We have a mixture of IMC
connections and MS exchange site connectors.  The IMC connections between
sites are being gradually moved onto site connectors.  We receive all mail
through a single line in one office which then directs the mail to the
correct mail server for that mail recipient through the site connector.  We
schedule directory replication to happen at only specific times of the day
e.g evening and lunchtime to minimize the traffic.  Because each of the
sites has it's own internet connection each site sends external mail through
it's own IMC to minimize mail traffic on the main SMTP server.  The IMC
connector solution is easily setup but so is the site connector as long as
you fix and open the correct ports.  I find monitoring the queues etc with
the site connectors easier and the solution slightly neater plus for
intersite connections it is supposed to be the fastest and least
complicated.  I have had no really problems with the solution we have.  As
long as you have a good reliable SMTP server on your main site preferably
with redundancy and a good ISP also with redundancy.

Paul

Quote:> I am looking for some good information regarding the best practice for

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 01:21:58

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator

Quote:> Using the VPN, I believe it would be best to use the IMS as a site
connector
> but what would be a good solution over a Frame config that would minimize
> bandwidth requirements of Exch replication.

First statement is correct.  Answer to your question would probably be an
x.400 connector.

1. Single Site VS Multi Site

I am in the process of setting up a WAN utilizing a Frame (going to 1
domain) for a company that has 5 sites.  What are the advantages to keeping
Exchange Server at each site? Is it better to have 1 Exchange Server with 1
site at the HQ?  Each site has 15-20 users and already has a licenses for
Exch. Server.  With this amount of users per site the local traffic will be
minimal.  Would too much bandwidth be taken by having 80-100 users
requesting mail from the main Exch. Srvr at the HQ?  Any input or direction
to send me is greatly appreciated.  Are there any whitepapers on this?

TIA,

2. How to establish trust between Ex5.5 SBS and Ex2000 SBS

3. Pop3 on a multi-site multi server environment

4. How can i forward mail in exchange

5. Single Site Multi Exchange Server

6. Tombstoned (Deleted) Mailboxes

7. Multi site, multi domain, 5.5 and 2000 question

8. Assigning unique auto reply message id

9. OWA & multi-site multi-domain

10. Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and routing problem (continuation)

11. Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and routing problem

12. Multi-sites, multi smtp connector and rerouting problem

13. Multi site, multi domain, 5.5 and 2000 question