Redirecting (Restoring) an information store with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and Veritas Backup Exec 8.6

Redirecting (Restoring) an information store with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and Veritas Backup Exec 8.6

Post by Swam » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:01:57

Everyone:

I put together some Exchange documentation in MS WORD 2000 format.

You can download information from the link below regarding redirecting
(restoring) an information store with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
and Veritas Backup Exec 8.6.

http://www.swaimhomeworld.com/paul/exch.html

Feel free to post modifications, questions, comments on this post.  Do
not email me regarding this documentation.  This documentation is
provided as-is, and makes no guarantees or promises.  Use this
documentation at your own risk.  It is neither supported nor created
by Microsoft or its partners.  It is only a record of my experiences
in working with their software.

Paul

Redirecting (Restoring) an information store with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and Veritas Backup Exec 8.6

Post by Andy David [MVP » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:20:39

A couple of things I noticed real quick:

1. If you are restoring an online backup, the drive paths on the
recovery server do not have to match those on the production server.

2. Ensure that the site and org name of the recovery server match the
*real* site and org name of the production server, not just the
display names.

3. Before restoring the backup, disable IS maintenance and set the
Deleted Item Recovery time very high so you dont inadvertently clean
out deleted items that you may want back ( assuming you a recovering
the store to recover a single mailbox for example.)

Quote:>Everyone:

>I put together some Exchange documentation in MS WORD 2000 format.

>You can download information from the link below regarding redirecting
>(restoring) an information store with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
>and Veritas Backup Exec 8.6.

>http://www.swaimhomeworld.com/paul/exch.html

>Feel free to post modifications, questions, comments on this post.  Do
>not email me regarding this documentation.  This documentation is
>provided as-is, and makes no guarantees or promises.  Use this
>documentation at your own risk.  It is neither supported nor created
>by Microsoft or its partners.  It is only a record of my experiences
>in working with their software.

>Paul

1. Backup Exchange Server - Microsoft Exchange Information Store and Microsoft Exch

I am doing backup on regular basis of my Exchange
Server 5.5 using Veritas Backup Exec 8.0 with
Exchange Plug-in , but I experience some inconsistence
with the amount of data backup and the data that is
actually stored on hard drives.
I noticed that the amount of data processed while backup
under Microsoft Exchange Information Store is about 8.7 GB
and Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes is about the same 8.8 GB
or so.
Also on my logical drive where I keep Exchange server
database, I found that the amount of the data used,
i.e. exchsvr/Mdbdata/Priv.edb and Pub.edb is about 8.8GB.

1.
My question is do I have to do backup of Microsoft Exchange
Information Store and Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, for
it seems to me that it is actually the same data.

2.
And what is the good recourse of information for doing
backup of Exchange Server 5.5.

2. DMX:Problem with custom fields values assignment

3. Restoring information store database - can it be redirected?

4. Alternative recipient

5. Exchange 5.5 Restore Information Store Job Fails to Non-Production Server - Access is Denied

6. User getting other user's meeting requests

7. Information store v4 restore into Information store v5

8. need some help a form

9. Restore Information store from backup to a restored server

10. HELP!!! Restoring Exchange 5.5 Information Store

11. Restoring Information store on another exchange server

12. Restore of Information Store on Exch 5.5

13. Need help restoring 5.5 information store