Generic email set-ups possible?

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by David Tinklepaug » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00



We're using exchange 5.5 w/ Outlook 97 for our email system.

Using default setups:   when I set up 1 account on a PC, that person
can't get their email on any other PC  AND  no one else can use that PC
to get their email..

I'd like to have ALL outlook info be stored on the exchange server (or
at least not on the local PC) so someone can log-on any PC and get at
their old and new email and other Outlook info.

and conversly...   I'd like to be able to set up the PC so ANYONE on the
change server can log in and get their email.

can anyone provide help on what I need to do/set to make this happen?

David Tinklepaugh
Network Admin.
The Health Association


 
 
 

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by Keshav Bha » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00


I was using Outlook 97 and decided to try Outlook 98 (foolish me!). This did
not work as no matter how many times I click on the outlook 98 icon, nothing
would happen.
However, I deleted outlook 98 from the control panel. Now, when I use
Outlook 97 and try to reply to a posting I get the following message. "you
don't have a simple MAPI compatible mailer installed. MS Outlook express
news cannot mail this message without a compatible mailer".
When I click on any address, i get the message "could not perform the
operation as the default mail client is not properly installed".
Any idea on what i'm doing wrong here?
help/suggestions please...

Keshav Bhat


 
 
 

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by chris.. » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00


First question:  when you say you "deleted Outlook 98 from the control
panel," do you mean that you used Add/Remove Programs to do so?

Have you attempted reinstalling Outlook 98, then UNINSTALLING it again?  I
believe if you install it over Outlook 97, uninstalling OL98 will restore
OL97 on your PC, but I'm not certain of this as I have not tried it myself.

Worse case scenario--I'd recommend reformatting your hard-drive and install
"clean."

Note:  to reply, remove "nospam" from the address

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------


>I was using Outlook 97 and decided to try Outlook 98 (foolish me!). This
did
>not work as no matter how many times I click on the outlook 98 icon,
nothing
>would happen.
>However, I deleted outlook 98 from the control panel. Now, when I use
>Outlook 97 and try to reply to a posting I get the following message. "you
>don't have a simple MAPI compatible mailer installed. MS Outlook express
>news cannot mail this message without a compatible mailer".
>When I click on any address, i get the message "could not perform the
>operation as the default mail client is not properly installed".
>Any idea on what i'm doing wrong here?
>help/suggestions please...

>Keshav Bhat


 
 
 

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by DuncanM » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00



> First question:  when you say you "deleted Outlook 98 from the control
> panel," do you mean that you used Add/Remove Programs to do so?

> Have you attempted reinstalling Outlook 98, then UNINSTALLING it again?  I
> believe if you install it over Outlook 97, uninstalling OL98 will restore
> OL97 on your PC, but I'm not certain of this as I have not tried it myself.

> Worse case scenario--I'd recommend reformatting your hard-drive and install
> "clean."

> Note:  to reply, remove "nospam" from the address

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------

> >I was using Outlook 97 and decided to try Outlook 98 (foolish me!). This
> did
> >not work as no matter how many times I click on the outlook 98 icon,
> nothing
> >would happen.
> >However, I deleted outlook 98 from the control panel. Now, when I use
> >Outlook 97 and try to reply to a posting I get the following message. "you
> >don't have a simple MAPI compatible mailer installed. MS Outlook express
> >news cannot mail this message without a compatible mailer".
> >When I click on any address, i get the message "could not perform the
> >operation as the default mail client is not properly installed".
> >Any idea on what i'm doing wrong here?
> >help/suggestions please...

> >Keshav Bhat


Reformatting the drive and re-installing sure is the worst case scenario!

I'd try this:
* remove O87

* from the 95 CD, install Windows Messaging
* re-install O97

--
Regards  Duncan McC
(remove nosmeggingspam to reply e-mail)
www.adrock.com

 
 
 

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by Anthon » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


You need to set up profiles on each machine for each user.  This can be
automated to a certain extent using a utility like NEWPROF.

--
Anthony


>We're using exchange 5.5 w/ Outlook 97 for our email system.

>Using default setups:   when I set up 1 account on a PC, that person
>can't get their email on any other PC  AND  no one else can use that PC
>to get their email..

>I'd like to have ALL outlook info be stored on the exchange server (or
>at least not on the local PC) so someone can log-on any PC and get at
>their old and new email and other Outlook info.

>and conversly...   I'd like to be able to set up the PC so ANYONE on the
>change server can log in and get their email.

>can anyone provide help on what I need to do/set to make this happen?

>David Tinklepaugh
>Network Admin.
>The Health Association



 
 
 

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by beeja » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


I think your problems relate to how you are configured. It's not foolish
using 98. It's a brilliant program. You need to choose which mode you want
before you install it.. Try this article "What Setup Option Should I Choose

It appears you had OE set as simple MAPI or somehow installed OL98 in CW
mode without messaging or in IMO mode with Messgaing active. If you now have
97 installed it needs MAPI . you cannot have OE set to simple MAPI and use
messaging. Decide on what you want! I'd recommend re-installing 98 after
deciding just what you want! If you decide CW mode then ensure Messaging is
installed first and remove OE as a simple MAPI client.
beejay


>I was using Outlook 97 and decided to try Outlook 98 (foolish me!). This
did
>not work as no matter how many times I click on the outlook 98 icon,
nothing
>would happen.
>However, I deleted outlook 98 from the control panel. Now, when I use
>Outlook 97 and try to reply to a posting I get the following message. "you
>don't have a simple MAPI compatible mailer installed. MS Outlook express
>news cannot mail this message without a compatible mailer".
>When I click on any address, i get the message "could not perform the
>operation as the default mail client is not properly installed".
>Any idea on what i'm doing wrong here?
>help/suggestions please...

>Keshav Bhat


 
 
 

Generic email set-ups possible?

Post by Keshav Bha » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00


well
here's the story. I was running Outlook 98 and agree it was great. Due to a
problem with MS-Word, I had to re-install some office applications. That's
when the whole problem started. lost my mail box, address, appointments.
ZAP!
I was unable to run O 98. I downloaded O 98 as that's what I want and when I
tried to run setup, nothing would happen on double click! So I went back to
OE. After removing O 98 from Add/Remove tab and choosing Remove Outlook 98
from the computer or such similar message. Therein comes the error message
about MAPI!
If I have to remove OE and re-download O 98 (groan!), is there a simple way
of keeping all my mailboxes and stuff. I lost quite a lot of work with the
previous crash...
any suggestions?

Keshav


>I think your problems relate to how you are configured. It's not foolish
>using 98. It's a brilliant program. You need to choose which mode you want
>before you install it.. Try this article "What Setup Option Should I Choose

>It appears you had OE set as simple MAPI or somehow installed OL98 in CW
>mode without messaging or in IMO mode with Messgaing active. If you now
have
>97 installed it needs MAPI . you cannot have OE set to simple MAPI and use
>messaging. Decide on what you want! I'd recommend re-installing 98 after
>deciding just what you want! If you decide CW mode then ensure Messaging is
>installed first and remove OE as a simple MAPI client.
>beejay

 
 
 

1. Generic email set-ups possible?

We're using exchange 5.5 w/ Outlook 97 for our email system.

Using default setups:   when I set up 1 account on a PC, that person
can't get their email on any other PC  AND  no one else can use that PC
to get their email..

I'd like to have ALL outlook info be stored on the exchange server (or
at least not on the local PC) so someone can log-on any PC and get at
their old and new email and other Outlook info.

and conversly...   I'd like to be able to set up the PC so ANYONE on the
change server can log in and get their email.

can anyone provide help on what I need to do/set to make this happen?

David Tinklepaugh
Network Admin.
The Health Association


2. Setting up exchange to d/l and distribute incoming mail

3. New Exchange 2000 Server in Existing Organization

4. Sending generic faxes WITH graphics possible ?

5. Exchange time out ,cannot find?

6. Are calendar roll-ups possible??

7. Exchange 5.5 On A SAN

8. Is it possible to setup a Disclaimer to all outgoing email

9. Redirect all emails from a certain address into a generic mailbox

10. Generic email addy via POP connector

11. Messanger email pop ups on my server

12. Setting up a generic account in Exchange - then route to different emails - How?