Stupid Question

Post by David Carpente » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

My Exchange Server has very little HD space left. It was configured
incorrectly to begin with by one of my predecessors, and I am trying to
keep it up and running until I learn more about Exchange so that I will
be ready to re-install, or do whatever I need to do to keep it running.

I have Microsoft Office installed on the C:\ drive, and I think that I
can kill it. This computer is not used for anything else but the
Exchange Box, and web server.

Can I kill this without affecting Exchange? Further, JAVA is loaded too.
So, the same question, can I kill the JAVA directory without affecting
Exchange?

Stupid Question

Post by Scott Garret » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Should be fine, Exchange does not rely on either of those. I would also
check you are getting a full or incremental back every night and check you
transaction log options. Perhaps setting some limits on mailbox size might
help you survive a little longer.

Quote:> My Exchange Server has very little HD space left. It was configured
> incorrectly to begin with by one of my predecessors, and I am trying to
> keep it up and running until I learn more about Exchange so that I will
> be ready to re-install, or do whatever I need to do to keep it running.

> I have Microsoft Office installed on the C:\ drive, and I think that I
> can kill it. This computer is not used for anything else but the
> Exchange Box, and web server.

> Can I kill this without affecting Exchange? Further, JAVA is loaded too.
> So, the same question, can I kill the JAVA directory without affecting
> Exchange?

Stupid Question

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> My Exchange Server has very little HD space left.

Buy and  install into that machine second HDD. Then use PerfOpt to move
databases to that drive.

Quote:> It was configured
> incorrectly to begin with by one of my predecessors, and I am trying to
> keep it up and running until I learn more about Exchange so that I will
> be ready to re-install, or do whatever I need to do to keep it running.

> I have Microsoft Office installed on the C:\ drive, and I think that I
> can kill it. This computer is not used for anything else but the
> Exchange Box, and web server.

> Can I kill this without affecting Exchange? Further, JAVA is loaded too.
> So, the same question, can I kill the JAVA directory without affecting
> Exchange?

Make good backup of Exchange data, copy all files to some safe place  and
create ERD. Then you can uninstall Office.

--
Got questions? Tell this Keen thing "Go to hell" and visit
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?FR=0&SA=GN&LNG=ENG

Stupid Question

Post by Tony » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Do you have more than one drive configured? Can you add another? If 'yes' to
either, run the Performance Optimizer to move things for you until you get a
better solution in place

--
Tony Woods MCP,CNA
Microserve

Should be fine, Exchange does not rely on either of those. I would also
check you are getting a full or incremental back every night and check you
transaction log options. Perhaps setting some limits on mailbox size might
help you survive a little longer.

Quote:> My Exchange Server has very little HD space left. It was configured
> incorrectly to begin with by one of my predecessors, and I am trying to
> keep it up and running until I learn more about Exchange so that I will
> be ready to re-install, or do whatever I need to do to keep it running.

> I have Microsoft Office installed on the C:\ drive, and I think that I
> can kill it. This computer is not used for anything else but the
> Exchange Box, and web server.

> Can I kill this without affecting Exchange? Further, JAVA is loaded too.
> So, the same question, can I kill the JAVA directory without affecting
> Exchange?

1. A Stupid question

This is probably a stupid question but....

I'm setting up Exchange 5.5 in a test enviroment on a NT4 server with NT4
workstation clients.  The installation appears to have worked fine, but my
problem is with the clients.

The clients connect to the mailbox, and retrieve the address books, but when
I attempt to send a message the message just sits in the Outbox.

Where do I go from here?

Cheers Arthur

2. SBS Server chane

3. Stupid Question....

4. Slow AD

5. Implementing event sinks - Warning: stupid question :-)

6. Exchange/Outlook Schedule on the Web?

7. Newbe stupid question

8. Mail coming in to 2000 server, but not being distributed to mailboxes

9. Maybe stupid question but I'm an Exchange Server Layman

10. OK Stupid question of the day.

11. Stupid Question

12. Stupid question

13. Stupid question.