Single User Getting "The item could not be deleted" w/ Outlook 2000 /w one email message and attachment

Single User Getting "The item could not be deleted" w/ Outlook 2000 /w one email message and attachment

Post by Bryan O. Fenstermache » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 02:35:20

All,

I have a single user who has one email message that they are unable to
delete.  They can't delete via their Outlook 2000 client, or via the Outlook
Web Access interface.  It gives the same error both places "The item could
not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was
denied."  Everyone else is able to send, receive and delete message without
a problem.  So this doesn't look like a system wide issue.

The message does have an attachment and when you open the message you get an
error that states "Could not open one or more attachments".  You can't open
the message at all using Outlook Web Access,  you get an 500 Internal Server
Error in the pop window where the message should be displayed.

I reciently upgrade the email virus protection on the Exchange Server (Scan
Mail 6.0) and I upgraded the virus protection on the clients workstation
(Office Scan 5.02) from Trend Micro.  Not sure if this has anything to do
with this issue, but I'm wondering if my virus protection is not allowing an
attachment to be viewed and is locking up the message all together.

The Microsoft KB article* on this isn't very helpful.  It states that the
message has been deleted but the server hasn't had time to update Outlook.
The users message has been in their inbox for two days and we only have one
Exchange 2000 server and it only serves about 35 users and sits on a Dell
PowerEdge 2450 server with 1GB of RAM, so the server isn't being over
tasked.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Does anyone have any ideas on a
possible fix?

Thanks,
Bryan Fenstermacher

*OL2000" (CW) ErrMsg:  The Item Could Not Be Deleted:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q195863

Client Environment:
Windows 2000 Professional (SP2)
Outlook 2000 SR-1
Trend Micro Office Scan 5.02

Server Environment:
Windows 2000 Server
Exchange 2000 Enterprise (SP2)
Trend Micro Scan Mail for Exchange 2000 Version 6

Single User Getting "The item could not be deleted" w/ Outlook 2000 /w one email message and attachment

Post by Mark Fugat » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 02:53:48

Bryan

Have you tried to use Exmerge to delete the item:
http://www.msexchange.org/pages/articles.asp?art=565

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

> All,

> I have a single user who has one email message that they are unable to
> delete.  They can't delete via their Outlook 2000 client, or via the
Outlook
> Web Access interface.  It gives the same error both places "The item could
> not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was
> denied."  Everyone else is able to send, receive and delete message
without
> a problem.  So this doesn't look like a system wide issue.

> The message does have an attachment and when you open the message you get
an
> error that states "Could not open one or more attachments".  You can't
open
> the message at all using Outlook Web Access,  you get an 500 Internal
Server
> Error in the pop window where the message should be displayed.

> I reciently upgrade the email virus protection on the Exchange Server
(Scan
> Mail 6.0) and I upgraded the virus protection on the clients workstation
> (Office Scan 5.02) from Trend Micro.  Not sure if this has anything to do
> with this issue, but I'm wondering if my virus protection is not allowing
an
> attachment to be viewed and is locking up the message all together.

> The Microsoft KB article* on this isn't very helpful.  It states that the
> message has been deleted but the server hasn't had time to update Outlook.
> The users message has been in their inbox for two days and we only have
one
> Exchange 2000 server and it only serves about 35 users and sits on a Dell
> PowerEdge 2450 server with 1GB of RAM, so the server isn't being over
> tasked.

> Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Does anyone have any ideas on
> possible fix?

> Thanks,
> Bryan Fenstermacher

> *OL2000" (CW) ErrMsg:  The Item Could Not Be Deleted:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q195863

> Client Environment:
> Windows 2000 Professional (SP2)
> Outlook 2000 SR-1
> Trend Micro Office Scan 5.02

> Server Environment:
> Windows 2000 Server
> Exchange 2000 Enterprise (SP2)
> Trend Micro Scan Mail for Exchange 2000 Version 6

Single User Getting "The item could not be deleted" w/ Outlook 2000 /w one email message and attachment

Post by Bryan O. Fenstermache » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:57:21

Thanks for the tip about the EXMERGE trick.  I will probably use this to
delete the item, but I'm more concerned with why it happened in the first
place.

-Bryan

> [...]

> > PowerEdge 2450 server with 1GB of RAM, so the server isn't being over
> > tasked.

> > Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Does anyone have any ideas
on
> > possible fix?

> > Thanks,
> > Bryan Fenstermacher

> > *OL2000" (CW) ErrMsg:  The Item Could Not Be Deleted:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q195863

> > Client Environment:
> > Windows 2000 Professional (SP2)
> > Outlook 2000 SR-1
> > Trend Micro Office Scan 5.02

> > Server Environment:
> > Windows 2000 Server
> > Exchange 2000 Enterprise (SP2)
> > Trend Micro Scan Mail for Exchange 2000 Version 6

Single User Getting "The item could not be deleted" w/ Outlook 2000 /w one email message and attachment

Post by Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 04:08:21

tell the user to use shift+delete... it's easier than exmerge. :) also -
mdbvu or Outlook Spy will also allow you delete it. (that's how I did it
before I discovered shift+del)

it's the AV software on the exchange server - disable it and you can delete
most of the messages it returned the error for. Most of the new AV versions
that use VS API will do this to some degree.

> Thanks for the tip about the EXMERGE trick.  I will probably use this to
> delete the item, but I'm more concerned with why it happened in the first
> place.

> -Bryan

> > Bryan

> > Have you tried to use Exmerge to delete the item:
> > http://www.msexchange.org/pages/articles.asp?art=565

> > --
> > Mark Fugatt
> > Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> > www.4mcts.com
> > Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> > --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

message

> > > All,

> > > I have a single user who has one email message that they are unable to
> > > delete.  They can't delete via their Outlook 2000 client, or via the
> > Outlook
> > > Web Access interface.  It gives the same error both places "The item
> could
> > > not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was
> > > denied."  Everyone else is able to send, receive and delete message
> > without
> > > a problem.  So this doesn't look like a system wide issue.

> > > The message does have an attachment and when you open the message you
> get
> > an
> > > error that states "Could not open one or more attachments".  You can't
> > open
> > > the message at all using Outlook Web Access,  you get an 500 Internal
> > Server
> > > Error in the pop window where the message should be displayed.

> > > I reciently upgrade the email virus protection on the Exchange Server
> > (Scan
> > > Mail 6.0) and I upgraded the virus protection on the clients
workstation
> > > (Office Scan 5.02) from Trend Micro.  Not sure if this has anything to
> do
> > > with this issue, but I'm wondering if my virus protection is not
> allowing
> > an
> > > attachment to be viewed and is locking up the message all together.

> > > The Microsoft KB article* on this isn't very helpful.  It states that
> the
> > > message has been deleted but the server hasn't had time to update
> Outlook.
> > > The users message has been in their inbox for two days and we only
have
> > one
> > > Exchange 2000 server and it only serves about 35 users and sits on a
> Dell
> > > PowerEdge 2450 server with 1GB of RAM, so the server isn't being over
> > > tasked.

> > > Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Does anyone have any
ideas
> on
> > > possible fix?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Bryan Fenstermacher

> > > *OL2000" (CW) ErrMsg:  The Item Could Not Be Deleted:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q195863

> > > Client Environment:
> > > Windows 2000 Professional (SP2)
> > > Outlook 2000 SR-1
> > > Trend Micro Office Scan 5.02

> > > Server Environment:
> > > Windows 2000 Server
> > > Exchange 2000 Enterprise (SP2)
> > > Trend Micro Scan Mail for Exchange 2000 Version 6

Single User Getting "The item could not be deleted" w/ Outlook 2000 /w one email message and attachment

Post by Trey Ormsbe » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 06:29:38

Occasionally the preview pane will not allow you to delete a message
either...  Try turning the preview pane off then delete the message as
well...

> All,

> I have a single user who has one email message that they are unable to
> delete.  They can't delete via their Outlook 2000 client, or via the
Outlook
> Web Access interface.  It gives the same error both places "The item could
> not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was
> denied."  Everyone else is able to send, receive and delete message
without
> a problem.  So this doesn't look like a system wide issue.

> The message does have an attachment and when you open the message you get
an
> error that states "Could not open one or more attachments".  You can't
open
> the message at all using Outlook Web Access,  you get an 500 Internal
Server
> Error in the pop window where the message should be displayed.

> I reciently upgrade the email virus protection on the Exchange Server
(Scan
> Mail 6.0) and I upgraded the virus protection on the clients workstation
> (Office Scan 5.02) from Trend Micro.  Not sure if this has anything to do
> with this issue, but I'm wondering if my virus protection is not allowing
an
> attachment to be viewed and is locking up the message all together.

> The Microsoft KB article* on this isn't very helpful.  It states that the
> message has been deleted but the server hasn't had time to update Outlook.
> The users message has been in their inbox for two days and we only have
one
> Exchange 2000 server and it only serves about 35 users and sits on a Dell
> PowerEdge 2450 server with 1GB of RAM, so the server isn't being over
> tasked.

> Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Does anyone have any ideas on
> possible fix?

> Thanks,
> Bryan Fenstermacher

> *OL2000" (CW) ErrMsg:  The Item Could Not Be Deleted:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q195863

> Client Environment:
> Windows 2000 Professional (SP2)
> Outlook 2000 SR-1
> Trend Micro Office Scan 5.02

> Server Environment:
> Windows 2000 Server
> Exchange 2000 Enterprise (SP2)
> Trend Micro Scan Mail for Exchange 2000 Version 6

1. Outlook bug: deleting from "sent items"

One of my users just pointed this out to me:

When deleting a message from the 'sent items' folder, the message is
removed, rather than being placed into the 'deleted items' folder- which
was the default behavior under MSMail/Exchange client/Windows messaging.

There appears to be no way to configure this under tools | options, nor
anywhere else that I've seen.

Would anyone else consider this a bug worthy of being reported?

I've just installed Exchange server 5.0 running on NT Server 4.0/SP3.  The
client is Microsoft Outlook, installed from the CD that came with Exchange
Server.

Jim Velasquez

address...

2. Any issues with SP4 or should I ignore?

3. Cant delete "deleted items"

4. Unable to start MSExchangeSA

5. Please Help""""""""""""""

6. Anyone Using GFIMailEssentials?

7. Permissions for "deleted items container"

8. Exchange 5.5's online Consistancy Adjuster

9. Remove "delete" items from the server

10. Empty "Deleted Items"

11. Empty "Deleted Items" folder stalls

12. Remove old "Deleted Items" automatically