Best OWA implementation for small business?

Best OWA implementation for small business?

Post by Todd » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 02:05:13

Hi All!!!!

I have a small company with only a few employee's but they travel often and
want to offer the ability to use OWA.  I have read the articles/posts on
various solutions and the FE/BE seems far to involved and resource/money
prohibitive right now.

Our current setup is a firewall with 1 W2K server behind it with IIS
installed that is running our company website.  I have bought a second
server to be our E2K server.  What would be the best/securest solution for
implementing OWA for my off-site/traveling users?  I have read some about
using SSL but have absolutely no experience in this area and would have alot
of questions (ie:  How much would a certificate cost? How long are they good
for?  How many would I need to purchase?..etc).

Also...since we only have 1 IP address how would OWA traffice headed for the
E2K box be differentiated from regular http traffic heading to our IIS box
since port 80 is used for both?

TIA

Todd

Best OWA implementation for small business?

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 02:19:35

Hi Todd

Here is a link about SSL that should help:

With regard to having users access your OWA on the Exchange server, you
could assign a different port number to the OWA server and then when they
need to access OWA they can just enter the port number (i.e.
www.domain.com:81/exchange) and forward port 81 to your OWA server.

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Quote:> Hi All!!!!

> I have a small company with only a few employee's but they travel often
and
> want to offer the ability to use OWA.  I have read the articles/posts on
> various solutions and the FE/BE seems far to involved and resource/money
> prohibitive right now.

> Our current setup is a firewall with 1 W2K server behind it with IIS
> installed that is running our company website.  I have bought a second
> server to be our E2K server.  What would be the best/securest solution for
> implementing OWA for my off-site/traveling users?  I have read some about
> using SSL but have absolutely no experience in this area and would have
alot
> of questions (ie:  How much would a certificate cost? How long are they
good
> for?  How many would I need to purchase?..etc).

> Also...since we only have 1 IP address how would OWA traffice headed for
the
> E2K box be differentiated from regular http traffic heading to our IIS box
> since port 80 is used for both?

> TIA

> Todd

Best OWA implementation for small business?

Post by Todd » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 04:25:50

Mark,

Thank you for that quick fix...I will use that temporarily until I can
implement the more secure SSL procedure.  I did have a follow up question I
just noticed while changing the port to 81 on my E2K box.

In IIS manager the following site have an "Error" Stop Sign next to them:

public
Exchange
Exadmin

I am able to still logon successfully via OWA without any problems but one
thing I did notice....After loggin on if I click on the "Folders" view ( it
automatically loads with the "Shortuct" view showing Inbox, Contacts etc...)
Then I get a MS Internet Explorer Error Box pop-up stating "Permission
denied 70"

I click OK and I can still look at whatever I want so I dont notice any loss
of functionality really but I get the pop-up everytime.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Todd

> Hi Todd

> Here is a link about SSL that should help:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF004.html

> With regard to having users access your OWA on the Exchange server, you
> could assign a different port number to the OWA server and then when they
> need to access OWA they can just enter the port number (i.e.
> www.domain.com:81/exchange) and forward port 81 to your OWA server.

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Microsoft Exchange MVP
> www.exchangetrainer.com
> www.msexchange.org
> Chat with other Exchange junkies at http://www.exchangetrainer.com:8000

> > Hi All!!!!

> > I have a small company with only a few employee's but they travel often
> and
> > want to offer the ability to use OWA.  I have read the articles/posts on
> > various solutions and the FE/BE seems far to involved and resource/money
> > prohibitive right now.

> > Our current setup is a firewall with 1 W2K server behind it with IIS
> > installed that is running our company website.  I have bought a second
> > server to be our E2K server.  What would be the best/securest solution
for
> > implementing OWA for my off-site/traveling users?  I have read some
about
> > using SSL but have absolutely no experience in this area and would have
> alot
> > of questions (ie:  How much would a certificate cost? How long are they
> good
> > for?  How many would I need to purchase?..etc).

> > Also...since we only have 1 IP address how would OWA traffice headed for
> the
> > E2K box be differentiated from regular http traffic heading to our IIS
box
> > since port 80 is used for both?

> > TIA

> > Todd

Best OWA implementation for small business?

Post by Kevin Longle » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:37:58

You could consider using a vpn and then access OWA through the vpn
connection.

Quote:> Hi All!!!!

> I have a small company with only a few employee's but they travel often
and
> want to offer the ability to use OWA.  I have read the articles/posts on
> various solutions and the FE/BE seems far to involved and resource/money
> prohibitive right now.

> Our current setup is a firewall with 1 W2K server behind it with IIS
> installed that is running our company website.  I have bought a second
> server to be our E2K server.  What would be the best/securest solution for
> implementing OWA for my off-site/traveling users?  I have read some about
> using SSL but have absolutely no experience in this area and would have
alot
> of questions (ie:  How much would a certificate cost? How long are they
good
> for?  How many would I need to purchase?..etc).

> Also...since we only have 1 IP address how would OWA traffice headed for
the
> E2K box be differentiated from regular http traffic heading to our IIS box
> since port 80 is used for both?

> TIA

> Todd

Best OWA implementation for small business?

Post by Jim » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 23:33:15

Why would he use a VPN. If he was to use a VPN, he could
just set up a terminal server and access outlook from
there, couln't he?
I'm looking at setting up OWA. I have a terminal setup as
an apps server. Only the partners of my firm have access
to it. so I want to give every one at lease access to
there email via OWA.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Post by To » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 07:12:46

> Why would he use a VPN. If he was to use a VPN, he could
> just set up a terminal server and access outlook from
> there, couln't he?
> I'm looking at setting up OWA. I have a terminal setup as
> an apps server. Only the partners of my firm have access
> to it. so I want to give every one at lease access to
> there email via OWA.

I have the following platform/configuration set up at my small
consulting business:
[2] W2K servers;
1) Domain Controller/File Server/Internal Application(s)
2) Exchange 2000 Server (vanilla, not Enterprise Edition)
These servers sit behind an eSoft Ex2 appliance --> VPN/Firewall/Web
Server.
I have an external static IP address that is used to communicate to
the outside world (i.e. SMTP server) and where a web site is directed
to (this web site will eventually become an "intranet"; as our (2)
primary web sites are hosted outside by a service).
My problem is attempting to provide consultants internet access to
their email.  When they are at a client site, the client's Firewall
prevents them from logging on to our servers via VPN.  The obvious
solution is to set up OWA for internet access, but since I have my
"internal" web server configured for the "intranet" web site, port 80
is opened for that purpose and can't be opened for OWA.  I have been
told that if I get another static IP (that would be associated with
another Domain Name that we own), I can open up port 80 for that IP
address, connect with the Ex2K server and have OWA access to
email.....My problem is two fold:
1) Does this configuration (theory) match what is truely possible?
2) What about security? I would settle for SSL encription, but that
requires opening up port 443.  Do I have to open port 80
too?......Thanks in advance!!!!TOM

1. Users: Small Business User, Small Business Power User and Small Business Admini

In the Active Directory tree in the SBS2000 Administrator
Console, we have the following users:

(1)     Small Business User;
(2)     Small Business Power User and
(3)     Small Business Administrator.

We have an “Administrator” user in the Active Directory
tree, which supposedly is the System Administrator for the
Network (denoted by the Username and Password we use to
logon to the SBS2000 server machine), but do not know
where the other 3 users came from and what they do?

Please could someone explain what the 3 users mentioned
above are, what function they play and most of all do we
need these users?

Sachin

2. Exchange 4.0 w/ IMC: How to Block Email Address?

3. Logon problems with OWA & Small Business Server

4. Trouble using Multi-Calendar Viewer with Outlook 2002

5. OWA on Small Business Server

6. Update CD - on non EX5.5 System

7. Logon problems with OWA & Small Business Server

8. calendar permissions

9. Small Business 4.5 and OWA

10. Instructions on how to setup OWA on Exchange 2000 on a Small Business Server

11. Team Folders Small Business Intranet Team Folder Add-In