Cannot Send / Receive External & Receive Internal Email

Cannot Send / Receive External & Receive Internal Email

Post by Bill Beshlia » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 01:44:58

Hello:

I have a new mail server in a new domain I am testing.  I am to the point
where I can send email internally (to my old mail server in my current
domain) but I cannot receive email internally.  Also, when I try to send
email to an external domains I get the following message;

"There was a SMTP communications problem with the recipient's mail server.
<mail_server.comapnyname.com #5.5.0smtp;550 Relaying is prohibited>

The new mail server is an W2K Server / E2K configuration and the old mail
server is a NT4.0 Server / Ex5.5 configuration.  I have tried a lot of
different ways to resolve this issue, but nothing has worked.  Any help will
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

Cannot Send / Receive External & Receive Internal Email

Post by MVP » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:14:28

What is your network setup?  You say 2 domains, so your Exchange 5.5 box is
in a Windows 2000 environment or not?    More specifics, DNS info, Firewall,
WAN connection, etc.  Need a little more info

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

Quote:> Hello:

> I have a new mail server in a new domain I am testing.  I am to the point
> where I can send email internally (to my old mail server in my current
> domain) but I cannot receive email internally.  Also, when I try to send
> email to an external domains I get the following message;

> "There was a SMTP communications problem with the recipient's mail server.
> Please contact your system administrator.
> <mail_server.comapnyname.com #5.5.0smtp;550 Relaying is prohibited>

> The new mail server is an W2K Server / E2K configuration and the old mail
> server is a NT4.0 Server / Ex5.5 configuration.  I have tried a lot of
> different ways to resolve this issue, but nothing has worked.  Any help
will
> be greatly appreciated.

> Thank you,

> Bill

Cannot Send / Receive External & Receive Internal Email

Post by Bill Beshlia » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 07:10:53

The Exchange 5.5 mailboxes are in an NT4.0 domain.  The Exchange 2000
mailbox is in a Windows 2000 domain with Active Directory set up.  We are
not hosting our DNS connection.  We have a WAN connection and WAN IP address
to where our DNS is being hosted.  Finally, as far as I can tell we have our
firewall set up between us and our WAN connection.  I hope this helps.

Thanks Again,

Bill

> What is your network setup?  You say 2 domains, so your Exchange 5.5 box
is
> in a Windows 2000 environment or not?    More specifics, DNS info,
Firewall,
> WAN connection, etc.  Need a little more info

> --
> John Oliver, Jr.
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

> > Hello:

> > I have a new mail server in a new domain I am testing.  I am to the
point
> > where I can send email internally (to my old mail server in my current
> > domain) but I cannot receive email internally.  Also, when I try to send
> > email to an external domains I get the following message;

> > "There was a SMTP communications problem with the recipient's mail
server.
> > Please contact your system administrator.
> > <mail_server.comapnyname.com #5.5.0smtp;550 Relaying is prohibited>

> > The new mail server is an W2K Server / E2K configuration and the old
mail
> > server is a NT4.0 Server / Ex5.5 configuration.  I have tried a lot of
> > different ways to resolve this issue, but nothing has worked.  Any help
> will
> > be greatly appreciated.

> > Thank you,

> > Bill

Cannot Send / Receive External & Receive Internal Email

Post by Bill Beshlia » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:56:35

Here is some more info which I hope helps.

I ran nslookup, the the following commands:

ls -t MX mycompanyname.org (to check for a Mail Exchange record)

ls -t A mycompanyname.org (to check for a Host record)

Both command returned the following result:

"can't list the domain mycompanyname.org: Query refused"

Thanks

Bill

> The Exchange 5.5 mailboxes are in an NT4.0 domain.  The Exchange 2000
> mailbox is in a Windows 2000 domain with Active Directory set up.  We are
> not hosting our DNS connection.  We have a WAN connection and WAN IP
address
> to where our DNS is being hosted.  Finally, as far as I can tell we have
our
> firewall set up between us and our WAN connection.  I hope this helps.

> Thanks Again,

> Bill

> > What is your network setup?  You say 2 domains, so your Exchange 5.5 box
> is
> > in a Windows 2000 environment or not?    More specifics, DNS info,
> Firewall,
> > WAN connection, etc.  Need a little more info

> > --
> > John Oliver, Jr.
> > MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

> > > Hello:

> > > I have a new mail server in a new domain I am testing.  I am to the
> point
> > > where I can send email internally (to my old mail server in my current
> > > domain) but I cannot receive email internally.  Also, when I try to
send
> > > email to an external domains I get the following message;

> > > "There was a SMTP communications problem with the recipient's mail
> server.
> > > Please contact your system administrator.
> > > <mail_server.comapnyname.com #5.5.0smtp;550 Relaying is prohibited>

> > > The new mail server is an W2K Server / E2K configuration and the old
> mail
> > > server is a NT4.0 Server / Ex5.5 configuration.  I have tried a lot of
> > > different ways to resolve this issue, but nothing has worked.  Any
help
> > will
> > > be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thank you,

> > > Bill

1. Can not receive external mail, Can send and receive internal mail

Setup: Internet==>Router===>Firewall====>Primary DNS(MX record points to my
E2K)====>W2K Server(Root Domain,2 NICs One External and the other is for
internal)/Exchange Server/Internal DNS.

DNS setting is OK, Recipient policy is working. I can send and receive mail
intenally. And I can definitely send mail externally and there is no problem
with it. I dont understand ,Why I cant receive mail from the internet. What
is wrong with my setup.

I followed all the suggestions posted in this news group but did not work.

What I did:
1) Ping my mail server and it replied.
2) Telnet my mail server using internal IP and there was no error message.
3) When I send e-mail from the internet going to my E2K, I noticed that my
external NIC card lits up, And that means the mail is redirected to may E2K
server is it not?

I checked the Log file: It shows the IP address of the Sender, IP address of
my E2K server and under the PORT is 0. I dont understand what Zero means. I
guesed the correct one is port 25?

Should I configure my internal DNS to have an MS record?

What other method Can I used to check if my smtp server is working properly.
I know my POP server has nothing to do with it. Because I only used SMTP. Am
I right? Sho

Thank for any information that you can give.

2. Newsgroups - Attached files

3. One user cannot send/receive internal mail - External mail is OK

4. OWA localization (urgent)

5. Problems send & receiving external email

6. Linking Files in Public Folder

7. Internal mail working but cannot receive external

8. Public Calendar - Rescheduled Appointments Not Deleting Original

9. Cannot receive external mail due to internal transport problem

10. Sending/receiving messages internal and external

11. How do I disable some users from sending and receiving external mail (need internal only)

12. Receiving external email on internal exchange server

13. Internal Exchange2k receiving external email