mtadata directory

Post by Nancy Steven » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Exchange 5.5 sp3 - I have over 2,000 DAT files in the above directory - many
of them very very old.  Is it safe to remove them, or is there a way that
Exchange is supposed to purge them and isn't.

TIA

Nancy Stevens

mtadata directory

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

XFOR: Many DAT Files in the Mtadata Directory [Q178021]

P.S. Nancy, I am wondering, why you never keep threading when replying, but
instead reply to message, that originated the thread?

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

mtadata directory

Post by Nancy Steven » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Probably just doing the wrong thing - sorry if it is a problem - and thank
you for your answer.

> XFOR: Many DAT Files in the Mtadata Directory [Q178021]

> P.S. Nancy, I am wondering, why you never keep threading when replying,
but
> instead reply to message, that originated the thread?

> > Exchange 5.5 sp3 - I have over 2,000 DAT files in the above directory -
many
> > of them very very old.  Is it safe to remove them, or is there a way
that
> > Exchange is supposed to purge them and isn't.

> > TIA

> > Nancy Stevens

> --
> Corrections are welcome.

> For "Good post" practice visit
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Kirill.

mtadata directory

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:42:44

> Probably just doing the wrong thing - sorry if it is a problem

No, it's not a problem (not for me anyway).
I just was wondering.

Quote:> - and thank
> you for your answer.

You are welcome.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

1. MTAData Directory Overflowing

Our Exchange 5.5 SP4 box is filling the disk to near
capacity, full of .dat files in the MTAData directory.
Most all of the messages sitting in there are spams sent
to non-existent mailboxes at our domain.  As I understand
it, Exchange 5.5 is not fully RFC compliant, in that it
will accept email for a domain without first checking for

undeliverable when it realizes there is no mailbox
configured for that user.  It appears now that the server
is letting these messages sit queued up waiting for
delivery to a box which never happens, not trying to
bounce them, so the MTAData directory just fills until the
disk has no more space.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or is there any way to
force the server to perform a valid-recipient check before
accepting mail?  Spam is collecting in this directory at
the rate of several gigs per week, so it's a very serious
problem for us.

TIA

2. Exchange 5.5 Host unreachable

3. old files in the mtadata directory

4. Moving folders from Exchnage to Personal Folders problem.

5. *.dat files in MTAData directory

6. Client Rules -- (Ex 5.5, Windows 2000 sp4)

7. MTADATA Directory

8. Firewalls, Exchange and Linux

9. Messages in mtadata directory

10. Dat files in MTAdata directory

11. My mtadata directory is eaten up. (Reposted)

12. Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory

13. MTA Service and Corrupt .dat files in MTADATA directory