Exchange Backup Strategies

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by JustAGu » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 03:44:09



I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies currently used by
Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an online of offline
backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  What about permanent
archives?  Any other considerations you might have as well.

Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:00:31



>I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies currently used by
>Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

>I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an online of offline
>backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  What about permanent
>archives?  Any other considerations you might have as well.

>Thanks in advance.

A daily full backup is your ideal and something i'd always suggest
given the speed of todays tape drives.
Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup the
stores which will flush the logs out.

Don't do mailbox level backups, employ system admins who don't like to
hover over the delete key waiting for the moment a user leaves the
company. Implement a deleted items retention time so that the users
can get their own email back.

Permanent archives are down to management policy.


FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by MVP » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:00:03


My recommendation is to run a nightly full backup (online), and to not worry
about mailbox level backups.  See
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxb.htm for a good bunch of
information about this.

Rotating tapes to an offsite location is a good idea - once a week should do
it.  Whether or not you need permanant records is up to your legal folks.

Missy


I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies currently used by
Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an online of offline
backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  What about permanent
archives?  Any other considerations you might have as well.

Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Ron » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:37:33




Quote:> Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup the
> stores which will flush the logs out.

I've always excluded EDB*.LOG files from the flat file backup (and some
other Exchange files - eg: *.EDB) because they would not get backed up while
Exchange services are running. How did you get yours backed up?
 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Susan Conke » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:17:56


by using an Exchange-aware backup program...it allows you to perform the
entire backup while Exchange is still running...this is the preferred way to
backup Exchange...




> > Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup the
> > stores which will flush the logs out.

> I've always excluded EDB*.LOG files from the flat file backup (and some
> other Exchange files - eg: *.EDB) because they would not get backed up
while
> Exchange services are running. How did you get yours backed up?

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Ron » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:15:38


Well, I know that. Mark was saying "Backup the drives first to capture the
log files...". I supposed he meant file level backup. I've never been able
to backup my LOG files at the file level while Exchange is running. Seems
like Mark is able to do it and I want to know how.


> by using an Exchange-aware backup program...it allows you to perform the
> entire backup while Exchange is still running...this is the preferred way
to
> backup Exchange...





> > > Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup the
> > > stores which will flush the logs out.

> > I've always excluded EDB*.LOG files from the flat file backup (and some
> > other Exchange files - eg: *.EDB) because they would not get backed up
> while
> > Exchange services are running. How did you get yours backed up?

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Ron Guyo » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:51:23


We do a nightly backup using BackupExec and it's Exchange
specific addon package. It saved my *this week. I got
a call 6:00am Monday morning from our finance manager. He
couldn't connect to exchange. I connected remotely (God
bless VPN + Terminal Services) and restarted the server.
None of the exchange service started... long story short,
the private information store was corrupt (Bad storm on
Sunday night must've knocked out power).

I was able to restore from Fridays backup and we're up
and running. I would suggest maybe backing up to disk on
weekends if you don't have a tape changer. We lost all of
the email that came in Saturday 4:00am - Monday.

As for mailbox level backups, we skip that and just put a
30-day delay between mailbox deletion and purge.

-Ron

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies
currently used by
>Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

>I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an
online of offline
>backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  

What about permanent
Quote:>archives?  Any other considerations you might have as
well.

>Thanks in advance.

>.

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by MVP » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:07:09


You can back up the transaction logs that have been committed to the
database as individual files, but not any open logs.  The open logs will
error out.

Missy


Well, I know that. Mark was saying "Backup the drives first to capture the
log files...". I supposed he meant file level backup. I've never been able
to backup my LOG files at the file level while Exchange is running. Seems
like Mark is able to do it and I want to know how.


> by using an Exchange-aware backup program...it allows you to perform the
> entire backup while Exchange is still running...this is the preferred way
to
> backup Exchange...





> > > Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup the
> > > stores which will flush the logs out.

> > I've always excluded EDB*.LOG files from the flat file backup (and some
> > other Exchange files - eg: *.EDB) because they would not get backed up
> while
> > Exchange services are running. How did you get yours backed up?

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:01:33


That's what I meant Ron. Thanks for picking up the thread Missy.


>You can back up the transaction logs that have been committed to the
>database as individual files, but not any open logs.  The open logs will
>error out.

>Missy



>Well, I know that. Mark was saying "Backup the drives first to capture the
>log files...". I supposed he meant file level backup. I've never been able
>to backup my LOG files at the file level while Exchange is running. Seems
>like Mark is able to do it and I want to know how.



>> by using an Exchange-aware backup program...it allows you to perform the
>> entire backup while Exchange is still running...this is the preferred way
>to
>> backup Exchange...





>> > > Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup the
>> > > stores which will flush the logs out.

>> > I've always excluded EDB*.LOG files from the flat file backup (and some
>> > other Exchange files - eg: *.EDB) because they would not get backed up
>> while
>> > Exchange services are running. How did you get yours backed up?


FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm
 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:02:32


And the first item the Finance Manager bought for you on Monday was a
shiny new UPS?


>We do a nightly backup using BackupExec and it's Exchange
>specific addon package. It saved my *this week. I got
>a call 6:00am Monday morning from our finance manager. He
>couldn't connect to exchange. I connected remotely (God
>bless VPN + Terminal Services) and restarted the server.
>None of the exchange service started... long story short,
>the private information store was corrupt (Bad storm on
>Sunday night must've knocked out power).

>I was able to restore from Fridays backup and we're up
>and running. I would suggest maybe backing up to disk on
>weekends if you don't have a tape changer. We lost all of
>the email that came in Saturday 4:00am - Monday.

>As for mailbox level backups, we skip that and just put a
>30-day delay between mailbox deletion and purge.

>-Ron

>>-----Original Message-----
>>I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies
>currently used by
>>Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

>>I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an
>online of offline
>>backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  
>What about permanent
>>archives?  Any other considerations you might have as
>well.

>>Thanks in advance.

>>.


FAQ: http://www.veryComputer.com/;
http:http://www.veryComputer.com/
 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Ron » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:46:18


I got it. Thanks for your reply, Missy and Mark.



> That's what I meant Ron. Thanks for picking up the thread Missy.


> >You can back up the transaction logs that have been committed to the
> >database as individual files, but not any open logs.  The open logs will
> >error out.

> >Missy



> >Well, I know that. Mark was saying "Backup the drives first to capture
the
> >log files...". I supposed he meant file level backup. I've never been
able
> >to backup my LOG files at the file level while Exchange is running. Seems
> >like Mark is able to do it and I want to know how.



> >> by using an Exchange-aware backup program...it allows you to perform
the
> >> entire backup while Exchange is still running...this is the preferred
way
> >to
> >> backup Exchange...





> >> > > Backup the drives first to capture the log files and then backup
the
> >> > > stores which will flush the logs out.

> >> > I've always excluded EDB*.LOG files from the flat file backup (and
some
> >> > other Exchange files - eg: *.EDB) because they would not get backed
up
> >> while
> >> > Exchange services are running. How did you get yours backed up?


> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by Brandon Voge » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 04:08:57


We are currently using Arcserv with the Exchange agent and full mailbox
backup.  I think that this is a waste of tape and backup time, but since
it's been a policy since before I got here almost three years ago, it's
stood.  I amd trying to make a valid argument for NOT using the mailbox
backup (since we have not needed to restore any individual mailboxes ever).
Any suggestions on how to approach this one?


Quote:> I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies currently used by
> Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

> I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an online of offline
> backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  What about permanent
> archives?  Any other considerations you might have as well.

> Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Exchange Backup Strategies

Post by MVP » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:09:07


Excellent reading:
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxb.htm
and check sections 3.11 and 3.12 of the FAQ at
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_sec3.htm

Missy

We are currently using Arcserv with the Exchange agent and full mailbox
backup.  I think that this is a waste of tape and backup time, but since
it's been a policy since before I got here almost three years ago, it's
stood.  I amd trying to make a valid argument for NOT using the mailbox
backup (since we have not needed to restore any individual mailboxes ever).
Any suggestions on how to approach this one?


Quote:> I am looking for real life examples of backup strategies currently used by
> Exchange Admins.  Preferabley those using Backup Exec.

> I'm looking for how often you backup, whether it is an online of offline
> backup and whether you backup individual mailboxes.  What about permanent
> archives?  Any other considerations you might have as well.

> Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

1. Exchange Backup Strategy

Hi:

I have a question about backing up an exchange server. If I wanted to backup
the entire server, I would obviously select all the physical drives and the
exchange server in the 'Exchange Server' listing. But what about the M:
drive, should this be selected to be backed up as well? I'm currently using
MS Backup.

Thanks a lot,

Scott

2. Information Store Service Shutdown Failure

3. Exchange backup strategy

4. (no subject)

5. Exchange Backup Strategy

6. smtpevent.idl , mailmsg.idl ?

7. Exchange 2000 Backup Strategy

8. Personal Folder Passwords

9. Exchange 5.5: Antivirus and Backup Strategy

10. Exchange 2000 Backup Strategy

11. Exchange 5.5 : Antivirus and Backup Strategy

12. Seeking Backup Strategies

13. E2K Active/Passive Backup Strategy?