I miss /dev/null !!

Post by Randy » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 04:53:22

We just changed our MX record to point to our Exchange 5.5 server from our
Unix machine.  On the Unix box if I was getting annoying messages in my logs
for a non-existant user I would simply alias that user name to /dev/null.
Is there a way to do this on Exchange?
Randy

I miss /dev/null !!

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:21:16

Quote:>We just changed our MX record to point to our Exchange 5.5 server from our
>Unix machine.  On the Unix box if I was getting annoying messages in my logs
>for a non-existant user I would simply alias that user name to /dev/null.
>Is there a way to do this on Exchange?

Add their SMTP address to a DL with no members. If it makes you feel
better, you can name the DL /dev/null. I tend to hide the DL from the
GAL and just manage it fromt he admin by adding more addresses as
needed.

--
Chris Scharff MVP-Exchange, MCSE
The Mail Resource Center

I miss /dev/null !!

Post by Lanwenc » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:14:14

Create an empty distribution list. Add the 'offending address' to the
properties of the DL. Mail will come in and disappear.
This works well for ex-employees, etc.

Quote:> We just changed our MX record to point to our Exchange 5.5 server from our
> Unix machine.  On the Unix box if I was getting annoying messages in my
logs
> for a non-existant user I would simply alias that user name to /dev/null.
> Is there a way to do this on Exchange?
> Randy

1. /dev/null equivalent in Exchange

Is there a /dev/null equivalent in Exchange. How can I setup so that
mail going to an ex-employee is automatically deleted?

The Exchange message filtering will stop mail coming from certain
Domains or users. Which is in affect. Now I want to automatically delete
mail that is going to an ex-employee.

Richard Pinaroc

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Can't replicate (rehome) Public Folders

3. Exchange 2000 Events Product (or dev)

4. NNTP + msnews + pull feed = b/w consumption + no messages

5. some Exchange dev questions..

6. Exchange Error id 1160

7. Exchange/VI dev

8. Sending/receiving outside email stopped

9. Exchange Client Dev:How to set the message font in code

10. Creating a separate DEV Exchange Org in PROD environment

11. exchange mail relay from database dev

12. OWA Web-Dev problem

13. Exchange/VI dev