NT user is not the primary Window NT account on this mailbox

NT user is not the primary Window NT account on this mailbox

Post by <stolli.. » Fri, 16 May 2003 07:57:06

Over the last 36 hours I have had 5 Event Details show up
that say NT user <some name> logged on to <another user>
mailbox, and is not the primary Windows NT account on this
mailbox.  I have checked both users in Exchange to make
sure the are listed as their own Primary NT account.  They
are.  And it is always the same two users involved.

What is the most likely scenario going on here?  Do you
think this is a security breach or a fluke?

NT user is not the primary Window NT account on this mailbox

Post by Robert Cray » Fri, 16 May 2003 08:03:30

It usually indicates that one user has used File > Open > Other Users
Folder, I wouldn't say its a breach unless the user has explicitly denied
this by setting Permissions on the folders to None

Quote:> Over the last 36 hours I have had 5 Event Details show up
> that say NT user <some name> logged on to <another user>
> mailbox, and is not the primary Windows NT account on this
> mailbox.  I have checked both users in Exchange to make
> sure the are listed as their own Primary NT account.  They
> are.  And it is always the same two users involved.

> What is the most likely scenario going on here?  Do you
> think this is a security breach or a fluke?

NT user is not the primary Window NT account on this mailbox

Post by Ron » Fri, 16 May 2003 09:43:02

It happens when the 2 users attempt to access each other mailboxes. If user1
tries to open user2 mailbox (File - Open - Other User's Folder or Tools -
Services - MS Exchange Setting - Open other mailbox), you'll see "NT user
Domain\user1 logged on to user2 mailbox and is not the primary Windows NT
account on this mailbox."

It doesn't necessarily mean that user1 is able to successfully open user2
mailbox. It's an *attempt* to open.

Quote:> Over the last 36 hours I have had 5 Event Details show up
> that say NT user <some name> logged on to <another user>
> mailbox, and is not the primary Windows NT account on this
> mailbox.  I have checked both users in Exchange to make
> sure the are listed as their own Primary NT account.  They
> are.  And it is always the same two users involved.

> What is the most likely scenario going on here?  Do you
> think this is a security breach or a fluke?

NT user is not the primary Window NT account on this mailbox

Post by <stolli.. » Fri, 16 May 2003 23:34:32

Interesting.  I tested it just now and sure enough it
shows me trying to open that other mailbox.

But here's the next BIG question.  This now apprears to be
happening at regular intervals.  It has now done this two
days in a row at 3:30 and 5:30 each morning.  I expect
another occurance around 1:30 this afternoon.

What could trigger this if it's not human intervention?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----