Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

Post by Joel Cance » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I need to know if this article applies to the new EseUtil Utility in
Exchange 5.5 because I have the same problem with my Priv.edb Datase (It
gets to big)

 - Microsoft Exchange Server version 4.0

SUMMARY
=======

The Priv.edb file can become larger than 50 percent of the hard disk space.
In this situation, edbutil /d cannot be run on the computer. You may have
to find a computer with hard disk drive space greater than twice the size
of the Priv.edb file. However, there are situations in which the Priv.edb
file becomes so big that you do not have a computer with enough hard disk
drive space to run edbutil. In this situation, the workaround is to run
edbutil across the network

MORE INFORMATION
================

To run edbutil and output the resulting file on a remote computer:

1. Back up the Priv.edb file to tape.

2. Find a Windows NT computer with free hard disk drive space equal to the
   size of the Priv.edb file.

3. Map a drive (in the example below, the F drive) to a computer on the
   network that has the needed free space.

4. Do one of the following:

    - From the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory, carry out the following command:

         Edbutil /d /ispriv /tf:\tempdfrg.edb

   -OR-

   a. Change to the newly mapped network drive.

   b. Set the path to the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory:

         path c:\exchsrvr\bin

   c. Carry out the following command:

         Edbutil /d /ispriv

      When the above command is carried out, a Tempdfrg.edb file is created
      on the remote drive.

NOTE: Because the Priv.edb file is being written to as the defragmentation
occurs, any network problems can lead to corruption in the Priv.edb file,
and the corruption would lead to the need to restore the backup created in
step 1. The /p switch can also be used to avoid problems with corruption of
the original Priv.edb file in case of a problem with the network or either
computer during defragmentation.
Keywords          : XADM kbnetwork kbusage
Version           : winnt:4.0
Platform          : winnt
Issue type        : kbhowto kbinfo
=
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

Joel Cancel Nieves, MCSE

Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

Post by Stuart Fo » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Eseutil was improved in Exch 5.5 so that it requires less space to do the
offline defrag.  If you still don't have room on your local drives, you can
do it to a network drive, although this isn't as fast or reliable.

Stu

>I need to know if this article applies to the new EseUtil Utility in
>Exchange 5.5 because I have the same problem with my Priv.edb Datase (It
>gets to big)

>The information in this article applies to:

> - Microsoft Exchange Server version 4.0

>SUMMARY
>=======

>The Priv.edb file can become larger than 50 percent of the hard disk space.
>In this situation, edbutil /d cannot be run on the computer. You may have
>to find a computer with hard disk drive space greater than twice the size
>of the Priv.edb file. However, there are situations in which the Priv.edb
>file becomes so big that you do not have a computer with enough hard disk
>drive space to run edbutil. In this situation, the workaround is to run
>edbutil across the network

>MORE INFORMATION
>================

>To run edbutil and output the resulting file on a remote computer:

>1. Back up the Priv.edb file to tape.

>2. Find a Windows NT computer with free hard disk drive space equal to the
>   size of the Priv.edb file.

>3. Map a drive (in the example below, the F drive) to a computer on the
>   network that has the needed free space.

>4. Do one of the following:

>    - From the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory, carry out the following command:

>         Edbutil /d /ispriv /tf:\tempdfrg.edb

>   -OR-

>   a. Change to the newly mapped network drive.

>   b. Set the path to the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory:

>         path c:\exchsrvr\bin

>   c. Carry out the following command:

>         Edbutil /d /ispriv

>      When the above command is carried out, a Tempdfrg.edb file is created
>      on the remote drive.

>NOTE: Because the Priv.edb file is being written to as the defragmentation
>occurs, any network problems can lead to corruption in the Priv.edb file,
>and the corruption would lead to the need to restore the backup created in
>step 1. The /p switch can also be used to avoid problems with corruption of
>the original Priv.edb file in case of a problem with the network or either
>computer during defragmentation.
>Keywords          : XADM kbnetwork kbusage
>Version           : winnt:4.0
>Platform          : winnt
>Issue type        : kbhowto kbinfo
=
>=
>Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

>Joel Cancel Nieves, MCSE

1. Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Hi,

I am having a hard time of managing the Priv.edb file. I know it contains
all the  users mail. However, it is getting bigger and bigger which may use
up all the space. So, I am thinking is there any harmless way of  reducing
the size of  the file.

All my clients are using MS Outlook to read their message. I am wondering if
my concept about the
storage on the exchange server is right, please correct me if I am wrong.

If a user delete their mail on the Outlook, is it directly delete mail on
their mailbox on the Exchange
Server, however, the Exchange have a function "Delete Item Retention time"
which will permanent delete the
"Deleted mail from the user"???

Also, if the user want to have a copy of their mail, they have to use
"Import/Export" function under the
File menu to get a snap shot of their email. Is that right?

If I stop the exchange service and rename the old Priv.edb file. Then when I
restart the service, a new
Priv.edb will automatically be generated. So, I still have a copy of all the
old email and have a new
Priv.edb which I will also put storage and Send/Receive limits on it for
avoiding the same
problem occur. Is it possible for me to do this way???

If I set a limit on Send/Receive and Storage on each mailbox, so when users
reach their limit, they simply delete old mail will give let them
send/receive mail again???

I am working in a software house, my clients need to attach program and send
it to their client. So, the
size of the Priv.edb is growing fast.

thank you for any advices!!

Edith

2. Exchange Engineer

3. Priv.edb has gotten too big for allocated space on drive

4. I changed Exchanges IP and subnet..

5. priv.edb getting too big too fast

6. Reply to All changing Internet addresses.

7. priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

8. Exchange Setup/Migration to a new Box - Please Help!

9. Running isinteg & eseutil on large priv.edb

10. eseutil across network

11. Ran eseutil /p and now I have big problems