Add Outbound disclaimer to e-mail Exchange 2003

Add Outbound disclaimer to e-mail Exchange 2003

Post by Ann Ric » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:53:42

Hopefully someone out there can help.

Used to be that you could a disclaimer in Exchange 5.5
using the following method.  Does anyone know if there is
a similiar method in Exchange 2003. I have tried the event
sink method but it gets conveluded when using a mapi
client, such as outlook?

Any help would be appreciated.

Legal Disclaimer on Internet Bound Email

In Exchange 5.5 there is a simple method for adding text
to all inbound or outbound Internet email.  This various
options can be found in Q262097 and Q258206.

This section is limited to appending text to Internet-
bound email using Exchange 5.5.  In effect, this can place
a 'legal disclaimer' on our outbound messages.

From the BackOffice 4.5 Resource Kit CD, locate the
imsext.dll.
Copy the imsext.dll to the Exchsrvr\Connect\Msexcimc\bin
folder on the server with the IMS
Register imsext.dll from the command prompt:

        Regsvr32 <path to>\imsext.dll

4.      Run regedt32
5.      Click on the registry key:

Hkey_local_machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExch
angeIMC\Parameters

6.      On the Edit menu, select Add Value, and enter the
following:

        Value Name: NonRoutingExtensionDll
        Data Type: REG_SZ
String Value: (enter the complete path to the imsext.dll)
OK.

7.      On the Edit menu, select Add Key, and type
Extension.  OK.

To append text to the body of Internet bound message

Open the Extension key you just created.
On the Edit menu, select Add Value, and enter the
following:

        Value Name: OutboundAppend
        Data Type: REG_SZ
String Value: (type the text to append to messages here)
OK & close Registry editor.

c.      Stop and restart the Internet Mail Service to
effect the changes (a reboot is not necessary).  If you
later edit the text to append to messages, the IMS must be
restarted as well.

Note that \par inserts a carriage return.  Subsequent
carriage returns w/ bold text: \par\b then \par\b0 etc.
\par This message may contain privileged and/or
confidential information.  If you have received this e-
mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may
not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open
any attachments, delete it immediately from your system
and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have
done so.  Thank you.

Add Outbound disclaimer to e-mail Exchange 2003

Post by William Lefkovics [MVP » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:24:09

You mean this...?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;273233
"To resolve this problem, force all incoming messages to be in SMTP format.
To do this, install the event sink on a border server that is separate from
your regular mailbox and gateway servers in your organization. Because
Exchange 2000 servers communicate with each other through SMTP, all incoming
messages to a border server should be in SMTP format."

Or:
http://www.gfi.com/mes/anti-spam_freeware.htm perhaps.

Quote:> Hopefully someone out there can help.

> Used to be that you could a disclaimer in Exchange 5.5
> using the following method.  Does anyone know if there is
> a similiar method in Exchange 2003. I have tried the event
> sink method but it gets conveluded when using a mapi
> client, such as outlook?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Legal Disclaimer on Internet Bound Email

> In Exchange 5.5 there is a simple method for adding text
> to all inbound or outbound Internet email.  This various
> options can be found in Q262097 and Q258206.

> This section is limited to appending text to Internet-
> bound email using Exchange 5.5.  In effect, this can place
> a 'legal disclaimer' on our outbound messages.

> From the BackOffice 4.5 Resource Kit CD, locate the
> imsext.dll.
> Copy the imsext.dll to the Exchsrvr\Connect\Msexcimc\bin
> folder on the server with the IMS
> Register imsext.dll from the command prompt:

> Regsvr32 <path to>\imsext.dll

> 4. Run regedt32
> 5. Click on the registry key:

> Hkey_local_machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExch
> angeIMC\Parameters

> 6. On the Edit menu, select Add Value, and enter the
> following:

> Value Name: NonRoutingExtensionDll
> Data Type: REG_SZ
> String Value: (enter the complete path to the imsext.dll)
> OK.

> 7. On the Edit menu, select Add Key, and type
> Extension.  OK.

> To append text to the body of Internet bound message

> Open the Extension key you just created.
> On the Edit menu, select Add Value, and enter the
> following:

> Value Name: OutboundAppend
> Data Type: REG_SZ
> String Value: (type the text to append to messages here)
> OK & close Registry editor.

> c. Stop and restart the Internet Mail Service to
> effect the changes (a reboot is not necessary).  If you
> later edit the text to append to messages, the IMS must be
> restarted as well.

> Note that \par inserts a carriage return.  Subsequent
> carriage returns w/ bold text: \par\b then \par\b0 etc.
> \par This message may contain privileged and/or
> confidential information.  If you have received this e-
> mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may
> not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open
> any attachments, delete it immediately from your system
> and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have
> done so.  Thank you.

Add Outbound disclaimer to e-mail Exchange 2003

Post by Ann » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:48:11

Thanks for the reply William.  I knew about the event sink
on the border server it just seemed like a lot of effort
for something that was relatively painless before.

I will certainly check out the freeware.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You mean this...?

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;273233
>"To resolve this problem, force all incoming messages to
be in SMTP format.
>To do this, install the event sink on a border server

that is separate from
Quote:>your regular mailbox and gateway servers in your

organization. Because
>Exchange 2000 servers communicate with each other through
SMTP, all incoming
>messages to a border server should be in SMTP format."

>Or:
>http://www.gfi.com/mes/anti-spam_freeware.htm perhaps.

>> Hopefully someone out there can help.

>> Used to be that you could a disclaimer in Exchange 5.5
>> using the following method.  Does anyone know if there
is
>> a similiar method in Exchange 2003. I have tried the
event
>> sink method but it gets conveluded when using a mapi
>> client, such as outlook?

>> Any help would be appreciated.

>> Legal Disclaimer on Internet Bound Email

>> In Exchange 5.5 there is a simple method for adding text
>> to all inbound or outbound Internet email.  This various
>> options can be found in Q262097 and Q258206.

>> This section is limited to appending text to Internet-
>> bound email using Exchange 5.5.  In effect, this can
place
>> a 'legal disclaimer' on our outbound messages.

>> From the BackOffice 4.5 Resource Kit CD, locate the
>> imsext.dll.
>> Copy the imsext.dll to the Exchsrvr\Connect\Msexcimc\bin
>> folder on the server with the IMS
>> Register imsext.dll from the command prompt:

>> Regsvr32 <path to>\imsext.dll

>> 4. Run regedt32
>> 5. Click on the registry key:

Hkey_local_machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExch

Quote:>> angeIMC\Parameters

>> 6. On the Edit menu, select Add Value, and enter the
>> following:

>> Value Name: NonRoutingExtensionDll
>> Data Type: REG_SZ
>> String Value: (enter the complete path to the
imsext.dll)
>> OK.

>> 7. On the Edit menu, select Add Key, and type
>> Extension.  OK.

>> To append text to the body of Internet bound message

>> Open the Extension key you just created.
>> On the Edit menu, select Add Value, and enter the
>> following:

>> Value Name: OutboundAppend
>> Data Type: REG_SZ
>> String Value: (type the text to append to messages here)
>> OK & close Registry editor.

>> c. Stop and restart the Internet Mail Service to
>> effect the changes (a reboot is not necessary).  If you
>> later edit the text to append to messages, the IMS must
be
>> restarted as well.

>> Note that \par inserts a carriage return.  Subsequent
>> carriage returns w/ bold text: \par\b then \par\b0 etc.
>> \par This message may contain privileged and/or
>> confidential information.  If you have received this e-
>> mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may
>> not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open
>> any attachments, delete it immediately from your system
>> and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have
>> done so.  Thank you.

>.

Add Outbound disclaimer to e-mail Exchange 2003

Post by William Lefkovics [MVP » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:26:48

If you were adventurous, you could do this on a single server using an
additional port.

Alternatively GFI has one of those freebies:
http://www.gfi.com/mes/anti-spam_freeware.htm

> Thanks for the reply William.  I knew about the event sink
> on the border server it just seemed like a lot of effort
> for something that was relatively painless before.

> I will certainly check out the freeware.

Post by Ann » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:35:09

Thanks for your help.  I have tried this on a border
server and I still can't get it to work.  I have used the
standard MS example code.

Here is how I registered the sink:

cscript C:\EventSink\smtpreg.vbs /add 1 onarrival
SMTPScriptingHost CDO.SS_SMTPOnArrivalSink "Mail

cscript C:\EventSink\smtpreg.vbs /setprop 1 onarrival
SMTPScriptingHost Sink
ScriptName "C:\EventSink\DisclaimerSink.vbs"

Here is the code:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript">

Sub ISMTPOnArrival_OnArrival(ByVal Msg, EventStatus)

        TextDisclaimer = vbCrLf & "DISCLAIMER:" & vbCrLf
& "Cognos Disclaimer."
Disclaimer added in a VBScript."
        If Msg.HTMLBody <> "" Then
                'Search for the "</body>" tag and insert
our discliamer before that tag.
                pos = InStr(1, Msg.HTMLBody, "</body>",
vbTextCompare)
                szPartI = Left(Msg.HTMLBody, pos - 1)
                szPartII = Right(Msg.HTMLBody, Len
(Msg.HTMLBody) - (pos - 1))
                Msg.HTMLBody = szPartI + HTMLDisclaimer +
szPartII

                Msg.TextBody = Msg.TextBody & vbCrLf &
TextDisclaimer & vbCrLf
         Else
                Msg.TextBody = Msg.TextBody & vbCrLf &
TextDisclaimer & vbCrLf
         End If

        'Commit the content changes to the transport ADO
Stream object.
        'CDOEXM
         Msg.DataSource.Save ' Commit the changes into the
transport Stream

        pEventStatus = cdoRunNextSink

End Sub

</SCRIPT>

Quote:>> >> folder on the server with the IMS

Hkey_local_machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExch

Quote:>> >> angeIMC\Parameters

>> imsext.dll)

here)

you
must
>> be

etc.
e-
may
open
system
have

>> >.

>.

1. Adding a disclaimer to outbound emails with Exchange 2000

Hi,

I know everyone is asking this at the moment, and I'm sorry for bringing it
up again, but has anyone figured it out?

This is how far I got/what I'm doing:
-Trying to add disclaimers to messages generated by Outlook 2000
communicating with Exchange 2000.
-Downloaded the Microsoft example - 4-402
-You have to update to the latest smtpreg.vbs file in the Web Storage System
SDK as the download has the wrong GUIDs
-I can add text to incoming email easily.  The instructions to do this are
on:
http://www.devx.com/upload/free/features/exchange/2001/03mar01/sm0103...
-1.asp
-Outbound messages....Aaargh! -it doesn't work, nothing happens.  I have
read a post suggesting that Outlook 2000 encodes the message before sending
to Exchange which makes it difficult to add the disclaimer.  You have to
apparently take the message apart, add the disclaimer and put it back
together - not good.

Please could someone help!

Thanks for your help,
Nick Thompson

2. Leave message on ISP computer

3. Adding Disclaimers in Exchange 2003

4. Help... What is typed, is no longer there.

5. Exchange 2000: Adding disclaimer to outbound mail using CDO

6. Big Big problem moving Exchange into new domain!

7. Add message/disclaimer to all outbound email

8. SDK for Exchange Mail gateway

9. Auto add disclaimer to all outbound emails

10. Adding disclaimer to outbound email

11. how to add a legal disclaimer to outbound emails

12. Adding a Disclaimer to Outbound email

13. Adding a disclaimer to outbound emails