HotSpare Exchange 5.5 server

Post by KS » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:54:14

We have one exchange 5.5 server SP3 in our domain
implemented and working fine for last 4 years serveing 60
users.all the users are using .PSTs and these PSTs were
backed up. Now our corporate policy is changed and we
started keeping the user's mails on server.

I read a lot of review of different backup products and
decided not to go for any brick level backup/restore.

I thought of a solution but could not find anything of
web for that. The solution I thought of is, If my
existing server is server A in site XYZ, I make another
BDC (Because my server A is BDC for Domain),server B and
install exchagne server 5.5 and join the existing site
XYZ. I will see the users in new server too with home
directory of server A. Now create corosponding users on
new server server B with different name and start
delivery option on server A to send a copy of mails to
corrosponding user on server B. Now let all the users
have two profiles in outlook, one for server A and one
for server B. In case server A fail, let them user second
profile for server B and all the mails will be there.

In mean time I can try to restore server A.

Is it possible? How good/Bad is the solution?

KS

HotSpare Exchange 5.5 server

Post by John Francis Burk » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:20:10

Have you carried out a risk assessment ?  What are you trying to protect
your data against ?

o Hardware failure ?
o Environmental failure ?  (eg fire, flood).
o Theft ?
o Sabotage ?
o Operator Error ?

How you configure and operate your environment depends on what the risks
are.

At a very general level, if you can afford two identical servers, you might
consider clustering them.  Or using external hot swappable RAID protected
storage with a cold standby server.

You also need to consider what / when / how you perform your online backups,
where you keep them and how you restore them.

John Francis Burke, MCSE

Quote:> We have one exchange 5.5 server SP3 in our domain
> implemented and working fine for last 4 years serveing 60
> users.all the users are using .PSTs and these PSTs were
> backed up. Now our corporate policy is changed and we
> started keeping the user's mails on server.

> I read a lot of review of different backup products and
> decided not to go for any brick level backup/restore.

> I thought of a solution but could not find anything of
> web for that. The solution I thought of is, If my
> existing server is server A in site XYZ, I make another
> BDC (Because my server A is BDC for Domain),server B and
> install exchagne server 5.5 and join the existing site
> XYZ. I will see the users in new server too with home
> directory of server A. Now create corosponding users on
> new server server B with different name and start
> delivery option on server A to send a copy of mails to
> corrosponding user on server B. Now let all the users
> have two profiles in outlook, one for server A and one
> for server B. In case server A fail, let them user second
> profile for server B and all the mails will be there.

> In mean time I can try to restore server A.

> Is it possible? How good/Bad is the solution?

> KS

HotSpare Exchange 5.5 server

Post by KS » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:30:03

John
I am mainly concerned about Hardare failures. The kind of
business we are in, more than 10 minutes without mail is
considered DISASTER.

I am doing online backup of existing exchange server 4
times a day.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
Karnail Singh

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Have you carried out a risk assessment ?  What are you
trying to protect
>your data against ?

>o Hardware failure ?
>o Environmental failure ?  (eg fire, flood).
>o Theft ?
>o Sabotage ?
>o Operator Error ?

>How you configure and operate your environment depends
on what the risks
>are.

>At a very general level, if you can afford two identical
servers, you might
>consider clustering them.  Or using external hot

swappable RAID protected
Quote:>storage with a cold standby server.

>You also need to consider what / when / how you perform

your online backups,

>where you keep them and how you restore them.

>John Francis Burke, MCSE

>> We have one exchange 5.5 server SP3 in our domain
>> implemented and working fine for last 4 years serveing
60
>> users.all the users are using .PSTs and these PSTs were
>> backed up. Now our corporate policy is changed and we
>> started keeping the user's mails on server.

>> I read a lot of review of different backup products and
>> decided not to go for any brick level backup/restore.

>> I thought of a solution but could not find anything of
>> web for that. The solution I thought of is, If my
>> existing server is server A in site XYZ, I make another
>> BDC (Because my server A is BDC for Domain),server B
and
>> install exchagne server 5.5 and join the existing site
>> XYZ. I will see the users in new server too with home
>> directory of server A. Now create corosponding users on
>> new server server B with different name and start
>> delivery option on server A to send a copy of mails to
>> corrosponding user on server B. Now let all the users
>> have two profiles in outlook, one for server A and one
>> for server B. In case server A fail, let them user
second
>> profile for server B and all the mails will be there.

>> In mean time I can try to restore server A.

>> Is it possible? How good/Bad is the solution?

>> KS

>.

HotSpare Exchange 5.5 server

Post by John Francis Burk » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:52:57

Being able to offer an SLA of ten minutes mail downtime is quite difficult
to achieve.

Clustering could be an option to consider.

Windows Clustering Technologies - An Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
ol/windowsnetserver/deploy/confeat/clustovw.asp

Cluster Aware Products List
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/partners/findoffering/serversolutio...
nerlist.asp

> John
> I am mainly concerned about Hardare failures. The kind of
> business we are in, more than 10 minutes without mail is
> considered DISASTER.

> I am doing online backup of existing exchange server 4
> times a day.

> What do you suggest?

> Thanks
> Karnail Singh

Post by Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:10:48

Even then, the disk array is a point of failure.
That isnt to say clustering isnt an option. It is mearly to illistrate the
point that downtime occasionally happens no matter how hard you try.

Quote:> Being able to offer an SLA of ten minutes mail downtime is quite difficult
> to achieve.

> Clustering could be an option to consider.

> Windows Clustering Technologies - An Overview

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
Quote:> ol/windowsnetserver/deploy/confeat/clustovw.asp

> Cluster Aware Products List

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/partners/findoffering/serversolutio...
> nerlist.asp

> > John
> > I am mainly concerned about Hardare failures. The kind of
> > business we are in, more than 10 minutes without mail is
> > considered DISASTER.

> > I am doing online backup of existing exchange server 4
> > times a day.

> > What do you suggest?

> > Thanks
> > Karnail Singh

Post by KS » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:50:43

How about the solution I thought of in my origianl POST?
How good/bad you think is that? I think in that scenario
there is least possible down time.

Thanks
KS

message

>> Being able to offer an SLA of ten minutes mail

downtime is quite difficult
Quote:>> to achieve.

>> Clustering could be an option to consider.

>> Windows Clustering Technologies - An Overview

>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?

url=/technet/prodtechn
>> ol/windowsnetserver/deploy/confeat/clustovw.asp

>> Cluster Aware Products List

>http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/partners/findoffering/s
erversolutions/part
>> nerlist.asp

>> > John
>> > I am mainly concerned about Hardare failures. The
kind of
>> > business we are in, more than 10 minutes without
mail is
>> > considered DISASTER.

>> > I am doing online backup of existing exchange server
4
>> > times a day.

>> > What do you suggest?

>> > Thanks
>> > Karnail Singh

Post by Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:18:17

It made my head hurt.

IMHO, Exchange is extreemly stable if you use quality hardware, quality
software, and keep your hands off of it once it is up. Exchange needs very
little handholding and will run like a champ as long as you leave it alone.

> How about the solution I thought of in my origianl POST?
> How good/bad you think is that? I think in that scenario
> there is least possible down time.

> Thanks
> KS

Post by Roger Nolastna » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 05:06:41

Your solution sounds extremely cumbersome to work effectively and
would also increase traffic across your network.  Generally good
backups and a cold server work well, but may take an hour or more to
get up and running, longer than your 10 minutes of allowance.

Exchange 5.5 does not directly support any type of mirroring or
redundant solution as you have noticed.  I know of at least one 3rd
party product that could meet your needs.  We use a product of theirs
for our Novell environment as for us this is mission critical.  For
Exchange we use a cold backup and test being back up in about an hour.
 For us this is acceptable.

See link below to description of the Legato Co-Standby Server NT
product.  This will create a mirror of your exchange server and can be
set to automatically kick in if there is a complete server melt-down.
I think it mirrors IP addresses and all other settings, as it uses a
direct network connection between the two boxes to communicate.

http://www.vinca.com/resources/faq.cfm

Good Luck,

Roger

> We have one exchange 5.5 server SP3 in our domain
> implemented and working fine for last 4 years serveing 60
> users.all the users are using .PSTs and these PSTs were
> backed up. Now our corporate policy is changed and we
> started keeping the user's mails on server.

> I read a lot of review of different backup products and
> decided not to go for any brick level backup/restore.

> I thought of a solution but could not find anything of
> web for that. The solution I thought of is, If my
> existing server is server A in site XYZ, I make another
> BDC (Because my server A is BDC for Domain),server B and
> install exchagne server 5.5 and join the existing site
> XYZ. I will see the users in new server too with home
> directory of server A. Now create corosponding users on
> new server server B with different name and start
> delivery option on server A to send a copy of mails to
> corrosponding user on server B. Now let all the users
> have two profiles in outlook, one for server A and one
> for server B. In case server A fail, let them user second
> profile for server B and all the mails will be there.

> In mean time I can try to restore server A.

> Is it possible? How good/Bad is the solution?

> KS

HotSpare Exchange 5.5 server

Post by Susan VanAllen [MVP » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 05:19:00

Clustering is the way to go about this...

> Your solution sounds extremely cumbersome to work effectively and
> would also increase traffic across your network.  Generally good
> backups and a cold server work well, but may take an hour or more to
> get up and running, longer than your 10 minutes of allowance.

> Exchange 5.5 does not directly support any type of mirroring or
> redundant solution as you have noticed.  I know of at least one 3rd
> party product that could meet your needs.  We use a product of theirs
> for our Novell environment as for us this is mission critical.  For
> Exchange we use a cold backup and test being back up in about an hour.
>  For us this is acceptable.

> See link below to description of the Legato Co-Standby Server NT
> product.  This will create a mirror of your exchange server and can be
> set to automatically kick in if there is a complete server melt-down.
> I think it mirrors IP addresses and all other settings, as it uses a
> direct network connection between the two boxes to communicate.

> http://www.vinca.com/resources/faq.cfm

> Good Luck,

> Roger

Quote:> > We have one exchange 5.5 server SP3 in our domain
> > implemented and working fine for last 4 years serveing 60
> > users.all the users are using .PSTs and these PSTs were
> > backed up. Now our corporate policy is changed and we
> > started keeping the user's mails on server.

> > I read a lot of review of different backup products and
> > decided not to go for any brick level backup/restore.

> > I thought of a solution but could not find anything of
> > web for that. The solution I thought of is, If my
> > existing server is server A in site XYZ, I make another
> > BDC (Because my server A is BDC for Domain),server B and
> > install exchagne server 5.5 and join the existing site
> > XYZ. I will see the users in new server too with home
> > directory of server A. Now create corosponding users on
> > new server server B with different name and start
> > delivery option on server A to send a copy of mails to
> > corrosponding user on server B. Now let all the users
> > have two profiles in outlook, one for server A and one
> > for server B. In case server A fail, let them user second
> > profile for server B and all the mails will be there.

> > In mean time I can try to restore server A.

> > Is it possible? How good/Bad is the solution?

> > KS

HotSpare Exchange 5.5 server

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:13:28

Quote:>It made my head hurt.

>IMHO, Exchange is extreemly stable if you use quality hardware, quality
>software, and keep your hands off of it once it is up. Exchange needs very
>little handholding and will run like a champ as long as you leave it alone.

And if the freakin' hardware and network would work that well I'd
think I'd died and gone to heaven!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Move Exchange Server 5.5 from PDC Server to a new NT Server

Hi everyone,
We currently have MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 running on an DEC-Alpha NT
Server 4.0.  This server is also the PDC of our domain.  We want to get a
new Intel-based NT Server and make it our new Exchange Server.
What steps (installation, mailbox moving, reconfig DNS for new mail server
name, etc.) do we need to follow in order to have Exchange Server running on
our new Intel-based NT Server instead of running it on our old Dec-Alpha PDC
NT Server?
Please advice!  Thanks.

Hieu Tran

2. Printing out distribution lists

3. 5.5 - How to Move KM Server from a 5.0 server to a 5.5 server

4. Delegate contacts.

5. Relay Exchange 2000 server through 5.5 Exchange Server

6. Can I use Pegasus, etc with MSN?

7. Copy Calendar from Exchange 5.5 Server to Exchange 2000 Server

8. RC2 Eval

9. migrating exchange 5.5 on nt4 server to exchange 2000 on win2000 server in same domain

10. G/E Exchange Server won′t take old Information Storage f rom Exchange Server 5.5

11. Problem after upgrading from Exchange Server 5 to Exchange Server 5.5

12. Error 1067 : Exchange Server 5.5 upgrade from Small Bus server exchange 5.0

13. replace exchange 5.5 server with exchange 2000 server