How to install KMS in separate PC?

Post by P Chu » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Our company wants to install Key Management Server in a new NT Server
which is seperate from exchange server PC, both NT Servers are in same
domain.  I installed Exchange Server Administrator in new NT
Server and it can successfully connect to Exchange Server, then I
installed KMS, but failed.  The error message said "Unable to get the
Enterprise information.  Verify the Microsoft Exchange Directory is
running and you have Microsoft Exchange Administrative rights then try
again."  My exchange server is enterprise edition, I use administrator
account which is also exchange service startup account and the exchange
server is running.  What's wrong?  Does KMS have to install in the same
PC with Exchange Server?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

How to install KMS in separate PC?

Post by Anthon » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

KMS has to be installed on a machine that also has Exchange Server
installed.  If security is a concern, you can simply install Exchange
Server without any mailboxes or folders or anything.  It can be in a site
of its own, also.
--
Anthony

P Chung <pchung%resolink.com> wrote in article

> Hello,

> Our company wants to install Key Management Server in a new NT Server
> which is seperate from exchange server PC, both NT Servers are in same
> domain.  I installed Exchange Server Administrator in new NT
> Server and it can successfully connect to Exchange Server, then I
> installed KMS, but failed.  The error message said "Unable to get the
> Enterprise information.  Verify the Microsoft Exchange Directory is
> running and you have Microsoft Exchange Administrative rights then try
> again."  My exchange server is enterprise edition, I use administrator
> account which is also exchange service startup account and the exchange
> server is running.  What's wrong?  Does KMS have to install in the same
> PC with Exchange Server?

> Thanks in advance.

> Regards,

1. Installing KMS on an existing site

Hi,

I currently have 2 exchange 2000 sp3 servers installed at my site, both
servers are under the same site and servicing the same e-mail domain.

I want to install KMS on these servers..

I have a few question regarding KMS -

1) What are the correct steps that need to be taken in order to install KMS
on existing sites ?
2) After installation does KMS need to be enabled per mailbox or is it
enabled automatically on exchange server ?
3) Can I enable KMS only for certain mailboxes/servers within my site ?
4) When backing up exchange, does the data stays encrypted (on the media) ?
5) Does installing KMS will complicate significantly an exchange disaster
recovery procedure ?
6) Can I assign a key that can be used to decrypt all mails on the exchange
(administrator key) ?
7) How does mail in offline folders (on the client local machine) is handled
when using KMS ?

I realize that there are a lot of questions here....
I will appreciate any link to a relevant documentation regarding this
issues.

Thanks,

2. exchange 5.5 add address books of internet addresses

3. KMS won't install

4. Public folders - three questions

5. Installing KMS

6. distinguished name?

7. Problem installing KMS on Win2000

8. Q289606 - Wchange Server 5.5 Post-Service Pack 4 Collaboration Data Objects Fixes Available

9. A question about install KMS' error message

10. Installing KMS

11. KMS will not re-install

12. Problem installing KMS on Win2000

13. unable to install KMS