Cloning Exchange 5.5

Post by Culle » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:58:08

I am in the processes of ordering new drives to replace the old ones on
exchange 5.5.  I am wondering if I can use Norton ghost 2001 to clone over
the drive that has the NT4.0 os and exchange 5.5 application over to a
larger hard drive.   The data basees and log files are on another drive and
are to be left as is.   Any advice would help thanks, CM.

Cloning Exchange 5.5

Post by William Lefkovic » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:20:05

I've never done this, but with all the logs and databases on other drives
and all the services stopped, it would probably be fine.

William

Quote:> I am in the processes of ordering new drives to replace the old ones on
> exchange 5.5.  I am wondering if I can use Norton ghost 2001 to clone over
> the drive that has the NT4.0 os and exchange 5.5 application over to a
> larger hard drive.   The data basees and log files are on another drive
and
> are to be left as is.   Any advice would help thanks, CM.

Cloning Exchange 5.5

Post by MVP » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:53:18

In theory this seems ok. Make sure all the relevant services are turned off
so the server is in a static state.

Its worth taking a proper backup in accordance with the Microsoft
methodology to ensure you have another means to restore the server.

Regards
Andrew Sword, MVP.

Quote:> I am in the processes of ordering new drives to replace the old ones on
> exchange 5.5.  I am wondering if I can use Norton ghost 2001 to clone over
> the drive that has the NT4.0 os and exchange 5.5 application over to a
> larger hard drive.   The data basees and log files are on another drive
and
> are to be left as is.   Any advice would help thanks, CM.

Cloning Exchange 5.5

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:10:50

If you could create a bootable diskette or CD that can access your drives,
it should work.

--

Michael Abbaticchio
http://www.abbaticc.com

Quote:> I am in the processes of ordering new drives to replace the old ones on
> exchange 5.5.  I am wondering if I can use Norton ghost 2001 to clone over
> the drive that has the NT4.0 os and exchange 5.5 application over to a
> larger hard drive.   The data basees and log files are on another drive
and
> are to be left as is.   Any advice would help thanks, CM.

1. Cloning Exchange 5.5 server

If  I run optimizer and transfer everything to one disk(the OS disk running
NT4.0) can I then clone that drive with discclone or ghost and use the clone
in case of emergency restore to restore back to a working state and then use
online backups to restore up to the current state.  Please let me know if
there is a flaw in this procedure.

2. Exchange Dist. List

3. Creating an Exchange 5.5 clone of live server

4. how to configure the default home server for each folder ?

5. Cloning NT Server with Exchange installed

6. Exch2k and Global Catalog

7. cloning Exchange 2000

8. How to make default forms for a folder

9. Active Directory Migration Tool and cloning Exchange Server machine accounts

10. Client Disk Cloning Causes Event ID 1016 on Exchange Server

11. Clone Exchange Server with Drive Image?

12. back-up scenerio using cloned drive

13. Does Cloning work for backup