Exchange in Novell Environment

Post by ahs at spence-n.demon.co. » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:46:27

My client is running Netware and NDS and I want them to implement
Outlook/Exchange as their Groupware solution they currently use a
cheap POP3 package. As they have 5000 users they don't want to replace
Netware (although I am trying!!)

The issue they have is they want single sign on. As I understand it
the options was NDS for NT but I don't thinks that works on 2000 and
XP.

So is the only option to use the Windows client to store passwords for
other services and auto log them on.? How secure is this, especially
is the use moves about ?

They have started suggesting running the Outlook Client and the
GroupWise server back end. This sounds really messy and I suspect not
all the Outlook functionality will work. Can anyone tell me some good
reasons why they should not do this ?

Exchange in Novell Environment

Post by Hunter Colema » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:19:20

If they run NT4 Workstation/2000 Professional/ XP on the desktop, you can
have the Netware client log them into both the NDS tree and the NT/2000
domain. Once the passwords are synched up, it's a smooth process and works
well, and for the users it's essentially a single sign-on. You do not need
NDS for NT, and there is no local password file.

Even if Groupwise is an inferior messaging environment, your client may have
a better business case for using it instead of Exchange. Running both
Netware/NDS and NT domains is going to be more difficult from an
administrative perspective, and will probably be more expensive due to the
additional hardware (domain controllers, Exchange servers).

--
Hunter

Quote:> My client is running Netware and NDS and I want them to implement
> Outlook/Exchange as their Groupware solution they currently use a
> cheap POP3 package. As they have 5000 users they don't want to replace
> Netware (although I am trying!!)

> The issue they have is they want single sign on. As I understand it
> the options was NDS for NT but I don't thinks that works on 2000 and
> XP.

> So is the only option to use the Windows client to store passwords for
> other services and auto log them on.? How secure is this, especially
> is the use moves about ?

> They have started suggesting running the Outlook Client and the
> GroupWise server back end. This sounds really messy and I suspect not
> all the Outlook functionality will work. Can anyone tell me some good
> reasons why they should not do this ?

1. Win2k, Exchange in Novell Environment

Hi,

We intend to replace our Pegasus Mail system which we are running in a
Novell environment. We now want to use Outlook with all features which means
we need an Exchange server. What we are looking at is Exchange 5.5 on a
Windows 2000 server.

Has anyone got this combination running at present under a Novell network?

I know that you can use NDS for NT with NT4 in order to synchronize
NT/Exchange with Netware, but unsure as to whether this product will work
with Win2k

Would like to hear from people who have done this and how they achieved it.

Many Thanks

Gary

2. When to use an exchnage server?

3. Exchange 2000 and Novell Netware 5 Environment

4. forward notification

5. Exchange in a Novell ZEN environment

6. Netscape 4.03 (standalone) and Exchange

7. Exchange in a Novell Environment

8. Service packs

9. Exchange 2000 and Novell Netware 5 Environment

10. Anyone using Exchange in a Novell environment ?

11. 022299EXCHANGE SETUP in a Novell environment