Help with setting up IMS

Post by Lyndon Jaramill » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I need help in setting up IMS at our site.  Our Internet provider is
GTE and we run an exchange server 5.5 on a network. GTE has 2 DNS servers
and they have an MX and A record.  We only run WINS on our network, but not
DNS.

Do I need DNS on our LAN?  The MX record that GTE has points to our host
which is starexchange.star-markets.com and the A record is host.domain.com
(ip address).

Is this setup correctly?  Do I need to configure anything else in Exchange?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Help with setting up IMS

Post by Thierry Demorr » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

In the IMS, you must route your domain name as "IN" to tells exchange that
it should try to resolve the users names of the email adress as a local
exchange account

From a technical p-o-v, it seems ok.

Provider's DNS must point to the IP adress of your exchange server, that is
listening on tcp-ip port 25 (SMTP)

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Hi, I need help in setting up IMS at our site.  Our Internet provider is
>GTE and we run an exchange server 5.5 on a network. GTE has 2 DNS servers
>and they have an MX and A record.  We only run WINS on our network, but not
>DNS.

If you're using TCP/IP (which I assume you are since you run WINS)
then having a DNS is going to prevent you from experiencing problems
with name resolution on your own network. Every Winsock application is
going to look for a DNS to perfrom name resolution (and that includes
Exchange and Outlook clients) unless you provide a HOSTS file -- and
that's a thinkless job.

Your IMS doesn't *require* the presence of a DNS *if* you instruct it
to forward all messages to another IP address (note the I said IP
address and NOT FQDN).

Quote:>Do I need DNS on our LAN?  The MX record that GTE has points to our host
>which is starexchange.star-markets.com and the A record is host.domain.com
>(ip address).

This is good for INCOMING mail, but what will you do for OUTGOING
messages? Or DNS name resolution within your own network?

1. Intermittent dial-ups with IMS

I've posted this several times, but have received no response.
Can I at least get a cigar for my efforts?

We are getting intermittent dial-ups with IMS.
Dials up on schedule for a while.
Then starts to produce errors such as:

The dial-up connection 'Erol's' could not be made.
The error reported was: [317]
Event ID: 4106

Tries several more times, then is successful.
Is this normal?
Are there settings that need to be adjusted?
Am I the only one that has this problem?

2. Can I create Mail List with Exchange Server ??

3. Reinstalling Exechange server 5.5

4. sharing PAB between NT and Mac clients

5. Generic email set-ups possible?

6. OWA 404

7. Still need help setting up IMS

8. Help setting up IMS!!!!

9. Urgent!!! Help setting up IMS on Exchange 5.0