Priv.edb too big!!!

Post by Tony » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:38:13

Our HDD has maxed out yet again (8Gb) without warning thus
the exchange server "fell over".  Is there anyway of
getting a warning before this situation happens again.

Does anyone know of a way of moving the Private.EDB and
Public.EDB and have exchange point to it other than
performance optimizer, (ours kept crashing on transfering
the file to another drive).

Many thanks in advance for you time on this.

Cheers

Priv.edb too big!!!

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:58:24

> Our HDD has maxed out yet again (8Gb) without warning thus
> the exchange server "fell over".  Is there anyway of
> getting a warning before this situation happens again.

NT PerfMon in Alert view.

Quote:

> Does anyone know of a way of moving the Private.EDB and
> Public.EDB and have exchange point to it other than
> performance optimizer, (ours kept crashing on transfering
> the file to another drive).

XADM: How to Move Exchange Server Folders [Q257766]

Quote:

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

Priv.edb too big!!!

Post by Andy Cottrel » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:47:28

I have our databases located on another server due to space. All you need to
do is stop the Exchange services and edit the parameters in the registry.
They are located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS

Andy Cottrell

Quote:> Our HDD has maxed out yet again (8Gb) without warning thus
> the exchange server "fell over".  Is there anyway of
> getting a warning before this situation happens again.

> Does anyone know of a way of moving the Private.EDB and
> Public.EDB and have exchange point to it other than
> performance optimizer, (ours kept crashing on transfering
> the file to another drive).

> Many thanks in advance for you time on this.

> Cheers

Priv.edb too big!!!

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:22:03

>Our HDD has maxed out yet again (8Gb) without warning thus
>the exchange server "fell over".  Is there anyway of
>getting a warning before this situation happens again.

Put a 1GB file on the disk. When the server stops after running out of
disk space, delete that file, restart the server, and make plans to
buy more disk space -- SOON.

You can also us PerfMon to send an alert when disk space falls below X
amount, but if that happens when nobody's there to do anything about
it and the disk fills up, you're still out of luck.

Quote:>Does anyone know of a way of moving the Private.EDB and
>Public.EDB and have exchange point to it other than
>performance optimizer, (ours kept crashing on transfering
>the file to another drive).

If the optimizer dies while copying the file you've got hardware
problems.

If you move the file without the assistence of Exchange you'll break
the link between the log files and the databases. Providing the
databases are consistent when you move them this won't be a big
problem IF you make a "normal" on-line backup immediately after you
restart the server.

Once you move the databases, you'll have to alter the registry to tell
Exchange where you placed the files.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Priv.edb too big!

Hello, my priv.edb file is showing that is over 16GB.
However, the information store never shut down...(weird)

Anyway, I built another exchange server and moved some of
the bigger mailboxes to it, and then deleted from the
first server (with the large priv.edb) a bunch of
emails.  The problem is that my priv.edb is still just as
big!!!  What am I doing incorrectly?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

2. Exchange 5.5 cant install web access on IIS 4, help!

3. Priv.edb too big

4. Owa url change

5. priv.edb too big

6. OWA only works for administrator

7. Priv.edb too big

8. Security problem, Exchange 2000 SP2

9. priv.edb too big

10. Why priv.edb is bigger then sum of private mailboxes?

11. Help!! Priv.edb too big!

12. Need to move PRIV.EDB to bigger hard disk - How is it done.

13. My priv.edb is anormally big