Direct failed inbound mail to Admin mailbox under Exchange 2000

Direct failed inbound mail to Admin mailbox under Exchange 2000

Post by Rod Mille » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:20:57

We just recently upgraded to Exchange 2000 from Exchange 5.5. Under Exchange
5.5, any missaddressed mail coming into the server was deposited in the
Administrator mailbox that was configured in the Internet mail connector.
Although this processed a lot of mail and was sometimes a pain, I had some
rules set up to delete mail that was addressed to former employees, etc. I
monitored this mailbox for mail that was missaddressed and many times would
forward mail to the obvious intended recipient.

I cannot find out how to accomplish this under Exchange 2000. I have gone to
the properties of the Default SMTP server in the Exchange system manager and
configured the messages tab. There is a field called "Send copy of
non-delivery report to:" in which I have put the address of the
administrator mailbox. This only populates the administrator mailbox with
the non delivery report that it sent to the sender. There is also a field
for a "Bad Mail Directory" which points to C:\Program
Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\BadMail . If I go to this directory, there is
where all of the failed messages reside. Each message seems to be composed
of three parts, a .BAD, .BDP and .DDR file. I can open up the .BAD file with
notepad and see the unformatted message.

Does anyone know of an easier way to read these failed messages, or how to
redirect them to the Administrator mailbox as before?

Thanks,

Rod Miller

Direct failed inbound mail to Admin mailbox under Exchange 2000

Post by Mike » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:45:24

I've never seen Exch 2000 but, afaIk, there's no way to collect the
original misaddressed messages in Exch 5.5. You were getting copies of
the NDRs, just like you describe for 2000. Each NDR contains a copy of
the message that caused it (notice the paperclip). Click Send Again to
retrieve it.

However, don't do this to yourself! Serve your users well but don't
become their slave! You'll make the rest of us look bad :)

--
Mike D